What's new

Maseto Avatar 30 Knott 56 Loft Silver Tipped Badger Shaving Brush!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Where's the beauty shot, covered in glorious lather?

I've seen the wet shot, the bubble-bath shot, the blow-dry shot, the parked-in-the-stand shot, but no lather shot.

Maybe next shave?

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to build a proper lather with my first time using a cream. I had planned to take a lather photo, but the results of today was such a disappointment, I didn't bother taking a photo. Next shave I will be using a soap, that more then likely, will actually build a proper lather, worth taking a photo of.

But don't expect no ice cream cone looking lather job, I don't know how those other guys make those for their photos, they look so darn perfect, it makes me wonder if they just shot whipped cream out of a can instead to get it. No, my lather will look more normal then that once I get it. lol

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to build a proper lather with my first time using a cream. I had planned to take a lather photo, but the results of today was such a disappointment, I didn't bother taking a photo. Next shave I will be using a soap, that more then likely, will actually build a proper lather, worth taking a photo of.

But don't expect no ice cream cone looking lather job, I don't know how those other guys make those for their photos, they look so darn perfect, it makes me wonder if they just shot whipped cream out of a can instead to get it. No, my lather will look more normal then that once I get it. lol
Someone shared their secret the other day.... they mix up a lot of lather... turn their bowl upside down... push the brush into the lather... twist as you lift the bowl off (the bowl, not yourself). <eg>

I'm sorry to hear that, but confident that you'll figure it out. Don't despair - my lather never looks like Cool Whip either, but it works just fine.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm not into the lather shots. I want to see the whole brush from the side not the lather.

Don't think a Manchurian is necessarily better than a two band or a three band. All are good. It depends on the brush, and it depends on what you like. All Manchurians are not the same. Yes, a Manchurian is different from the other two, but better only if you like it. Manchurians can have significant bite. (I don't mean that in a bad way but some don't like it.)

I hope you're being very careful with that hair dryer. The brush doesn't need to be dry, but it absolutely needs to stay away from heat. A hair dryer can ruin a nice knot lickidy split.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I'm not into the lather shots. I want to see the whole brush from the side not the lather.

Don't think a Manchurian is necessarily better than a two band or a three band. All are good. It depends on the brush, and it depends on what you like. All Manchurians are not the same. Yes, a Manchurian is different from the other two, but better only if you like it. Manchurians can have significant bite. (I don't mean that in a bad way but some don't like it.)

I hope you're being very careful with that hair dryer. The brush doesn't need to be dry, but it absolutely needs to stay away from heat. A hair dryer can ruin a nice knot lickidy split.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I specifically chose a low watt hair dryer, when I was picking out a hair dryer last year, because I didn't need the most powerful hair dryer in the world, and a lower watt model would save on electricity. So, when I dry my brush, I am using "LOW" heat, which is only 400-watts of electricity use I think. I should really measure the heat coming out of the hair dryer on LOW with my temp gun.

But I think my brush is safe, cause like I said, on LOW, the heat don't even burn my fingers guys. And if you think about it, that brush gets mighty warm lather from my scuttle and there are no problems. Now, if someone was to throw a hair dryer in HIGH, well, thats a different story, you will probably damage your brush if the heat is hot enough to burn your own fingers. lol

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I specifically chose a low watt hair dryer, when I was picking out a hair dryer last year, because I didn't need the most powerful hair dryer in the world, and a lower watt model would save on electricity. So, when I dry my brush, I am using "LOW" heat, which is only 400-watts of electricity use I think. I should really measure the heat coming out of the hair dryer on LOW with my temp gun.

But I think my brush is safe, cause like I said, on LOW, the heat don't even burn my fingers guys. And if you think about it, that brush gets mighty warm lather from my scuttle and there are no problems. Now, if someone was to throw a hair dryer in HIGH, well, thats a different story, you will probably damage your brush if the heat is hot enough to burn your own fingers. lol

Sounds ideal if you must use a hair dryer. As long as you know it's 100% optional. Brushes dry fine in the open air. Brushes don't have to be dry by a deadline - such as tomorrow morning - unless you're sealing 'em away for storage.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My Maseto Avatar brush finally arrived in the mail, from a little oh town called TIANJINSHI China!

I am also the fan of it being a bulb instead of a wide fan. Feeling the hairs with my fingers, this brush hasn't had a chance to break in yet, and it already feels soft!
Nice looking handle on that brush and that knot is enormous. I got a 27mm Maseto silvertip a few years ago and that brush is fantastic value for money. Don't think I want any bigger knot size. More importantly, it has not shed any hair which suggests good build quality.

I don't think you will see a lot of breaking in with that badger brush; they don't seem to change a lot. They feel nice and soft though which is what you want so enjoy it.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

GREAT LOOKING BRUSH!! :a29:

Thank you BigJ! I am glad you love it too! Thats right, lets pile up on the happiness. HEHE 😁

Nice looking handle on that brush and that knot is enormous. I got a 27mm Maseto silvertip a few years ago and that brush is fantastic value for money. Don't think I want any bigger knot size. More importantly, it has not shed any hair which suggests good build quality.

I don't think you will see a lot of breaking in with that badger brush; they don't seem to change a lot. They feel nice and soft though which is what you want so enjoy it.

Thank you so much Invicta, I couldn't agree more! The handle is a super design, perfect size, perfect shape, perfect looks. And yes, this is a huge brush, I can't tell if its the design of my CC scuttle, or the brush being too large, but I am having a little difficulty whipping up a lather in the scuttle, but I can do it still. Its just, its easier to whip up a lather in my CC cobalt lather bowl, which is larger BTW.

I think the scuttle would greatly benefit from being a larger size to accommodate huge brushes. But the good news is, the large brush holds lather really good, so all you got to do is press on your skin a little bit, to release more lather from the knott, to apply more lather to the skin. And the scuttle keeps the lather nice and warm, which provides for a nice facial massage, to go with the lathering up for shaving.

You are correct, only hairs I see in my soap puks, come from the first pure badger brush lol. But my Maseto brush doesn't appear to be shedding. Please take my recommendation, don't buy any pure badger brushes, especially ones from Mens Room Barbershop. I respect and love that they are B&B supporters, and are a vender here, but they screwed me over on that brush.

Maseto brushes are top quality, I thank @Chan Eil Whiskers for turning me onto them, best recommendation he ever made for me, and I still appreciate it to this day. And I also appreciate your posts on the board Invicta, keep up the great work! And again thanks for the positive comments too!

I like Maseto, a few years ago they were considered the best option for affordable brushes. There are much more options now but I think Maseto still holds its own.

Honestly, for the price, I still think they should be considered the best option for affordable brushes. Cause while Semogue makes quality silver tipped 2-band and 3-band brushes as well, they cost easily 90+ dollars and up, a bit steep for a brush IMO. So yes, I think Maseto should still be considered king for high end brushes for a realistic price.

Which others offer Silvertip brushes in chubby knots 26mm / 28mm / 30mm for $58 / $63 / $68 ?

None that I am aware of. I was doing some research back when, while also getting the opinions and recommendations of @Chan Eil Whiskers, and I don't remember any other brand that has Maseto quality for the same price or better. I really think that Maseto makes lovely high end 2-band and 3-band brushes for sure. I love my Maseto brush, all be it, its a bit big for my scuttle. Tisk tisk snicker. HEHE 😁

Thanks for all the comments guys, you are all amazing, and I appreciate every one of you!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

You guys wanted to see lather on my brush, well, I did the best that I could, here you go!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

It's carrying very little soap. Try putting a layer of water over the soap for 1 minute+ to soften it up a bit, then pour and start charging the brush for 1 minute.

Are you kidding me? I had so much water in it from the beginning, that in the whipping up process, I launched a drop of lather into the air, and went right into the mirror. When I looked up and saw that, I was like, are you serious right now? So had to grab some toilet paper to get that off, good thing I wasn't out of crappin wrappin.

Are you kidding me? I had so much water in it from the beginning, that in the whipping up process, I launched a drop of lather into the air, and went right into the mirror. When I looked up and saw that, I was like, are you serious right now? So had to grab some toilet paper to get that off, good thing I wasn't out of crappin wrappin.
It looks like shampoo foam, dry, dull and airy.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

It looks like shampoo foam, dry, dull and airy.

Just to clarify, its Stirling Black Cherry, not shampoo

I'm having difficulty whipping up a proper lather in my scuttle using this giant brush. I don't know if its just the brush, or the scuttle design, but ya, I am having one heck of a time. I mean, I am loving my shave scuttle, cause it provides nice warm lather, but the whipping up lather process is not going easy, twice now that I've used it.

All I know is, when I used my old brush in my Captains Choice cobalt lather bowl, which is a larger bowl in diameter for lather whipping, I was always able to achieve a nice thick lather with it. My Maseto brush arrived around the same time my new scuttle did, so I never got a chance to try out my old brush on the scuttle.

I put in a question to Scott already on the forum, asking if it were possible to enlarge the scuttles, to accommodate for larger brushes in the 30mm caliber.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Go back to your shaving bowl.... we discussed this the other day... keep your bowl in the sink or a large bowl with hot water in it... whatever works.. that will keep your brush warm for additional passes.

My brushes are mostly 26mm... so on the bigger size too..... my bowl doesn't have a large interior diameter but it's much shallower so the larger brush isn't a issue. I suspect it will be the same for your Captain's Choice ceramic bowl.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I just wanted to give everyone a quick review update, as I've learned something new about my brush, that I feel its important enough to report on. Others like @Phoenixkh @Chan Eil Whiskers , and a few other's warned me, that this huge brush, was going to soak up the lather. I am here to report, they aren't kidding!

OK, so I told you guys that I was having a little trouble whipping up a lather in my scuttle. Well, it isn't all necessarily the scuttles fault. I just didn't realize just how much lather this brush was going to soak up, its like a dang sea sponge! So, one of the real issues is, it just soaks it all up before you can whip it!

So, its not really a problem in the end guys, it may seem like all your lather disappeared before it became a fluffball of fluffy lather. But reality is, ya it disappeared, into the brush! I even started blaming myself, that, maybe I just don't know how to use the scuttle, maybe it was my poor technique, maybe I should switch back to my cold arse lather bowl, or maybe get a smaller brush.

Guys, once you have the lather in the brush, just bring the darn thing to your face, make your swirls action, then a few figure 8's, then some painters left and right action, and you will see all that lovely lathered being deployed onto your skin. You need it a little slicker? Just add some water to the brush, and go back over your face.

This new brush really threw me through a loop. So when you hear these guys tell you what to expect from a big boy brush, please note, they are not exaggerating!

It sounded like you were getting frustrated with what people were telling you the other day so I kept quiet and figured you would get it figured out on your own. One trick is to get your lather fully built and then squeeze the knot just above the handle to make the lather rise to the top. You may have to do it a few times if you don't like waisting soap. That is the price of using a big brush. 😁

Top Bottom