What's new

Masculinity

I dont why we all started shaving in the first place, having a beard gives a man a more masculine look but i think our feminity dominates us to shave it clean off and look more like a woman :lol:

Jaffacake (do you have a first name to share?),

From this womans viewpoint, either clean shaven, "neatly" trimmed beard, moustach, goatee, bald, etc., are all handsome. I don't think 'shaven' looks 'fem'. Masculinity is not appearance in my opinion; words, behaviour, character, integrity, morals, conviction are but a few words that come to mind when I consider a man 'masculine'.

Of course, those words also apply to females I think. Shaved or unshavened has never been a factor. Not all women around the world shave, are they masculine? Just cultural difference IMHO.
Sue

I think it was Bill Cosby (or maybe it wasn't) who said that women must have invented shaving. Because only a woman could make a man drag a razor sharp blade over their throat every morning. :biggrin:

Sue said:

From this womans viewpoint, either clean shaven, "neatly" trimmed beard, moustach, goatee, bald, etc., are all handsome. I don't think 'shaven' looks 'fem'. Masculinity is not appearance in my opinion; words, behaviour, character, integrity, morals, conviction are but a few words that come to mind when I consider a man 'masculine'.

Of course, those words also apply to females I think. Shaved or unshavened has never been a factor. Not all women around the world shave, are they masculine? Just cultural difference IMHO.
Sue

I agree!

Stones in a glass house?
Methinks someone has not generated any traffic on their website and is bailing on the B&B ?? do ya think? :mad:

Sue said:

Sue

Nicely said Sue! Well done!! Masculinity has nothing to do with shaved or bearded..... there are so many other elements that are so much more important! Like intelligence and class................

Wasn't it Rodney Dangerfield that told the beautiful teacher to call him someday "When she had NO Class". :)

Best line in the silly movie 'Back in Class'.
Sue

Sue said:

Sue

Sue,

Very well stated!

Bud

jaffacake2000 said:
I dont why we all started shaving in the first place, having a beard gives a man a more masculine look but i think our feminity dominates us to shave it clean off and look more like a woman :lol:
:thumbdown :001_rolle

my understanding was that men started to look younger and thusly more attractive to the female persuasion and more likely to find a mate. Based off that and the fact that none of my girlfriends to this point have enjoyed facial hair I'll keep shaving! I need all the help I can get:eek: :biggrin:

Goosemeplease said:
Stones in a glass house?
Methinks someone has not generated any traffic on their website and is bailing on the B&B ?? do ya think? :mad:

nah, i dont use the website to talk about shaving, or anything really

Well, in all honesty, shaving does take away some of the very raw, cavemanish masculinity. But then, I find most women prefer a more refined, modern masculinity. Suits rather than dirty animal skin. Cologne or even a fresh environmental scent (I find that women like the smells picked up from chopping wood, messing about in barns, etc, every bit as much as we might like them on women - see an excellent post in another forum) rather than stale BO. Polite conversation rather than grunting and dragging back to cave by hair. And clean shaven, or with very well maintained facial hair rather than unkempt beard. And it is long established that the ultimate in masculinity is being able to attrack the best women. So I shave. Because it helped me get the best woman (no disrespect to the ladies of this forum, or the significant others of any of you gents).

I believe the historical roots of shaving have been handed down from the Romans. The Roman statesmen sought a more neat youthful look. As well, I think it was also their military practice - a man with no beard and short hair was more or less immune to being grabbed by the hair on the battlefield and thus by sporting the shaven visage a stateman could be subtley identified with the military. I really don't think it has anything to do with the amount of masculinity. Being clean shaven is just a different form of expressing it.

Besides the fact that I like being clean shaven for myself my family appreciates it too. No scruff red marks on the cheeks of the wife and babies when I'm BBS. They like that very much.

Chris

My wife actually prefers me with a goatee, which I removed last year. It may be time to regrow it. . .:biggrin:

moses said:
Well, in all honesty, shaving does take away some of the very raw, cavemanish masculinity. But then, I find most women prefer a more refined, modern masculinity. Suits rather than dirty animal skin. Cologne or even a fresh environmental scent (I find that women like the smells picked up from chopping wood, messing about in barns, etc, every bit as much as we might like them on women - see an excellent post in another forum) rather than stale BO. Polite conversation rather than grunting and dragging back to cave by hair. And clean shaven, or with very well maintained facial hair rather than unkempt beard. And it is long established that the ultimate in masculinity is being able to attrack the best women. So I shave. Because it helped me get the best woman (no disrespect to the ladies of this forum, or the significant others of any of you gents).

Well said!!!!!

Marty

BAH!....masculinity comes from how you carry yourself, how you handle situations, talk, act, etc....

That's like saying I'm more masculine than someone else because I play sports, powerlift, and look good in a tank top....ok that part is true....j/k :biggrin:

Seriously, we shave because the ladies like it and it keeps us from looking like bums, which helps in the professional world as well as the personal world.

Just my 2 pennies....

-Sean

Top Bottom