What's new

Masculine aftershave recommendations

Ok so I come here looking for some help. This entire community has always steered me in the right way when I've asked for help, so I'm hoping that I can pick the brains of the members for a new aftershave to replace my current/empty bottle of Razo Rock American Barber.

So I scored a bottle of the American Barber aftershave and soap combo for Christmas a few years ago, I really liked it, and I cranked through the soap in no time. I also have come to end of the line of the bottle of aftershave. I'm looking to replace it with something similar, but something that is strong and masculine smelling. Apparently the American Barber scent is a play on YSL River Gauche. Now I did some digging around on the PAA website and Speak Easy and or CAD might be a nice replacement/similar. I'm also thinking if I could find something that smells like Aventus Creed, that might be the road I want to go down.

Any and all help here is greatly appreciated!

A good place to start for "known entities" is Fine Accoutrements. They have eight scents mostly based in well known men's frags...

American Blend = YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme (2003
Fresh Vetiver = Tom Ford Grey Vetiver (2009)
Green Vetiver = Guerlain Vetiver +1961)
Italian Citrus = Acqua di Parma Colonia (1916)
L'Orange Noir = Terre d'Hermes (2006)
Lavender Pour Homme = Czech & Speaker Oxford & Cambrige (1994)
Platinum = Creed Aventus (2010)
Santal Absolut = Art of Shaving Sandalwood (2004)

I personally have the Fresh Vetiver, Italian Citrus, L'Orange Noir, American Blend and Platinum and all are terrific.

Fresh Vetiver and Italian Citrus are definitely spring/summer scents. L'Orange Noir is a cold weather fragrance while American Blend and Platinum are year rounders.

I think the Fresh Vetiver is my favorite as it is the only one that inspired me to drop the big $$$ to get a bottle of the inspiration. Platinum led to get an arab Aventus knock off scent, Insurrection Pure by Reyane... almost always gets comments. Next would be the Italian Citrus as I've been waiting with Issey Miyake - L'eau Dissey Pour Homme but have been thinking I may need to pick up a bottle of AdP Colonia this spring. The L'Orange Noir is pretty strong on initial application but mellows and becomes very nice... I thought my wife hated it but I used some last week when I knew she wouldn't be around and when we were together again in the evening she said I smelled good and wondered what I was wearing.. go figure.

Lastly I put a few drops of glycerine in each to give them a little better face feel.

Anyway, good luck and in hope this helps point you in a general direction you need to go.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Stirling also offers clones of several of these classics.

Arkadia = Terre d'Hermes :thumbup:
Executive Man = Creed Aventus
Haverford = Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
Mountain Man = Creed Silver Mountain Water
Sandpiper = YSL La Nuit de l'Homme :001_wub:
Sharp Dressed Man = Green Irish Tweed

for "strong and masculine" I would suggest Stirling Gatlinburg. :thumbup:

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
346.jpg

Ok so I come here looking for some help. This entire community has always steered me in the right way when I've asked for help, so I'm hoping that I can pick the brains of the members for a new aftershave to replace my current/empty bottle of Razo Rock American Barber.

So I scored a bottle of the American Barber aftershave and soap combo for Christmas a few years ago, I really liked it, and I cranked through the soap in no time. I also have come to end of the line of the bottle of aftershave. I'm looking to replace it with something similar, but something that is strong and masculine smelling. Apparently the American Barber scent is a play on YSL River Gauche. Now I did some digging around on the PAA website and Speak Easy and or CAD might be a nice replacement/similar. I'm also thinking if I could find something that smells like Aventus Creed, that might be the road I want to go down.

Any and all help here is greatly appreciated!

Sir Andromeda! Congrats on your successful shaving journey thus far!
Indeed, it's time for you to spread your wings and venture into new scents and aftershave tonics!
Beyond simply Barber or Aventus styles!
There are so many great, sophisticated, masculine aftershaves for you to explore!
Put on those big boy pants and begin the new phase!!

Knize! Speick! Sir Irisch Moos! Acqua di Parma! even Lucky Tiger! DR Harris!
Lots more!
Enjoy your journey!

various aftershaves.jpg

I think most of the vintage Avon scents are very masculine. Of the current stuff, I like Quorum, Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve and Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber

Razorock Emperor is supposed to be like Aventus. Although I've never smelled the real Aventus, my wife loves it when I use Emperor. The scent isn't weak and it has good longevity.

Another thing, if you live in a large city that had a Nordstrom's their men's department carries most Creed and Tom Ford frags. I know my local store will gladly get you small atomizer decant from the sample bottles if you ask. Each is good for two or three applications. That's where I first tried Aventus, TF Grey Vetiver and Terre d'Hermes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Great list!

I love the Fine and Stirling options.

I would also list a few other possibilities (from my ’collection’):
Speick
Pitralon classic
La Toja
Pinaud (especially clubman and special reserve)
Floid

So many options, so little time!! :a29:

Gilliletta cool probly the manliest smelling one I have I’m not a big fan of things that punch you in the face with scent

I'm also thinking if I could find something that smells like Aventus Creed, that might be the road I want to go down.

Stirling Executive Man, Declaration Grooming Sellout, Fine Platinum, Ariana & Evans Spartacus, Viking Soaps Rangar, Murphy & McNeal Trinity, Wickham Classic 24 are all Aventus dupes. This is just what I grabbed out of TryThatSoap. I think Grooming Dept has one also, and i'm sure many others do as well.

Top Bottom