What's new

Masamura vs Ambassador

One thing I wonder - is the Rocnel Sailor a similar design to Rex Ambassador? I.e. the adjustment is 1 dimensional (gap) as opposed to the Muramasa, which is somewhat 2 dimensional (gap and exposure).

One thing I wonder - is the Rocnel Sailor a similar design to Rex Ambassador? I.e. the adjustment is 1 dimensional (gap) as opposed to the Muramasa, which is somewhat 2 dimensional (gap and exposure).
Most other adjustable DE razors only change the gap, not both. This includes the Rocnel. That is why the Muramasa is unique in this case.

I have no experience with the Ambassador, but have had the Muramasa for about a week now. Amazingly impressed with the quality of the shaves even on the 1 setting. I have sensitive skin, so lean heavily towards mild razors. I have used settings 1-3, and gotten very nice shaves, no cuts, nicks, etc. I can barely feel the blade on 3 at the right angle. I cannot feel the blade on 1-2. My first adjustable, and happy with my choice.

Similar, but different performers. Both hold the blade at a constant exposure and I would probably still have both, RAD being what it is; however, were I to pick only one to keep it would be the Sailor. It is (IME) more efficient (but at least "equally") than the Rex and smoother. Stilll an aggressive razor, but smooth, and you can step it up or down with adjustment and blade selection.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I also found the Ambassador to be too razor-sharp at first, but I like it more and more as I use it, and now I'm even addicted to its efficiency.
It also has the most slip-resistant handle I've ever touched, and the shaving process feels like it sticks to my hand.

Muramasa is a unicorn born of magic from the very beginning, no matter the adjustment mechanism, appearance, intuition, comfort... It is a dream razor.

I love them both.

I haven't tried the Muramassa but I have an Ambassador.

From what I've read the Maramusa is very mild, the Ambassador is the opposite.
It's well made, it looks better than the Portugese razor (IMO) but... I think I just read your SOTD Regarding your experience with the GC. 84. If you find the GC. 84 too aggressive I dont think you should buy a Rex Ambassador.

Also, you have a Flexi (which I have also owned). The Pearl Flexi is a bit more gentle than the Ambassador. If you love your Flexi on the higher settings and want a better looking one, the Rex is interesting - it's what I did but I did it purely for esthetical reasons and out of curiousity.

My Rex is currently listed for sale, even though I do like it. I have come to appreciate razors with less blade feel and need to make some room. 😊
How much are you asking for the Rex?

Dave, those two razors are miles apart from one and other. The Rex is aggressive, with lots of blade feel. The Masamune is on the gentle side.

If you wish to try out an adjustable the Pearl Flexi is a more affordable and brass razor. It's very similar but a touch milder than the Ambassador. There is also an interesting Chinese offer, Yaqi adjustable the final cut, which is only about 35 euro's but it's zinc alloy.

I ended buying a Rex Ambassador and a Masamune to try them both. Also got a Gillette Slim and a Game Changer .68, we’ll have to see which ones I keep and let go. So far the Gillette is one of the best IMHO.

The Rex in gold is stunning!
Thanks! It’s served me very well; not a single issue or complaint. Personally, I think the Rex is very mild on the lower settings. I stopped looking at other razors after the Rex; perfect in my book.
E7E2E37F-FEDE-46DE-B14A-24CEEF8697C2.jpeg

Now that I have both a Rex Ambassador and Masamune, I'm thinking of the Rex Konsul and/or the Muramasa. Wondering who has compared those two, as they both seem to be on the mild side, not blade-positive (at least til higher settings on Muramasa).

I have the Ambassador, the Konsul and the Muramasa, and there are reviews of all three floating around the forum. TLDR, the Muramasa is the mildest of the three, preceded by the Konsul, then the Ambassador. The Konsul is unique being a slant, but is actually more comfortable (to me) than the Ambassador. The Ambassador has the most blade feel, followed by the Konsul, then the Muramasa. All are adjustable, so you can dial your poison - or comfort. The Muramasa has the least range, and my take is very mild to mildly efficient. The high settings on the Ambassador or the Konsul should satisfy the most efficiency-craving sadists among us, plus. All of them are excellent razors, with superb quality SS construction (and as noted, the Muramasa has a Ti version). Cost is similar, so as the old sailor said, ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice.

Rex Ambassador I tried for a year and found it too much for me. Must be the positive blade exposure.

Tatara maramusa is lovely and I will keep it. Get great shaves. Very smooth.

Rex konsul was a Real surprise for me and love it. Really smooth. Again its a keeper.

Rex Ambassador I tried for a year and found it too much for me. Must be the positive blade exposure.

Tatara maramusa is lovely and I will keep it. Get great shaves. Very smooth.

Rex konsul was a Real surprise for me and love it. Really smooth. Again its a keeper.
Can you contrast Muramasa vs Konsul? I have an ambassador and masamune already…

Can you contrast Muramasa vs Konsul? I have an ambassador and masamune already…
Konsul = ambassador without blade feel and so much smoother.

It's hard to contrast the maramusa vs konsul. I'm happy with both. Maybe the konsul can be more efficient on higher settings, but both are smooth in the way they shave with similar blade feel profiles.

I’m glad to see all the comments in this thread saying that the Muramasa shaves effectively on all settings and isn’t unduly mild. That is what I found too. There are so many older reviews that say settings 1-3 are useless and the top setting is too mild - and I just didn’t find those things to be true, even though I frequently use ‘aggressive’ razors. It makes me wonder whether Tatara recalibrated it somewhere along the way without announcing a change.

The Muramasa is quite a beautiful razor and it is interesting to disassemble it and see how simple and clever the adjustment mechanism is. I enjoy seeing elegant engineering like this, and it looks like it should be far less likely to require maintenance over the years than other adjustable designs.

9143C39A-4231-494B-9A33-440233804CED.jpeg

Unfortunately I have not used either of the Rex razors so I can’t compare. Maybe one day I might try the Konsul, as it gets glowing reviews from people I trust, but I’m not terribly impressed with Razor Emporium’s business reputation so I’ve shied away from their razors thus far. I feel a little queasy about rewarding them with $400+ of my money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom