What's new

Marvis Toothpaste Efficacy

After a lifetime of mass-market toothpaste using, I switched to Marvis about 6 months ago. I really like the taste and the way it makes my teeth and gums feel afterward.

But....

I had my regular dental checkup and cleaning today, and I noticed my dentist spent an inordinate amount of time scaling my teeth (with that horrendous ultrasonic water blasting-thingie he has moved to from the metal implement). I didn't ask him if he saw a difference (or if he was having a rough day), but it definitely appeared that perhaps I had more tartar buildup than usual.

Has anyone else had experience with moving to Marvis or other niche products and seeing a change in their hygiene, or had comments from their dentists? I would hate to go back to Colgate, etc. but I want to make sure the toothpaste is as effective as possible.

Had my checkup / cleaning today as well. Isn't it amazing that as they increase their technology so does our discomfort? As for your question, I'm of no help as I use Sensodyne w/ Baking Soda

I cant imagine marvis not being up to snuff...since I started using it my teeth and gums feel super clean and smooth...I just received a tube in the mail today.

I started alternating with Colgate Total, which is what my wife uses. I did some research, and the Colgate has some proprietary stuff that dentists seem to think is really good. I leave the Marvis for a treat in the evenings. I just got a tube of the Ginger Mint, and I think I liked the Fruit Mint better. Both taste WAY better than the Colgate, though.

My dentist told me that an ADA study proved that a dry toothbrush (meaning no toothpaste) was just as effective as any toothpaste.
He did highly recommend the SoniCare toothbrush. Every checkup since then has not taken long and I have got compliments from the dentist on the condition of my teeth - he thinks I floss daily! :biggrin:

By the way, I use Tom's toothpaste and mouthwash and floss about once a week.

-Gerald

Scotto said:
I started alternating with Colgate Total, which is what my wife uses. I did some research, and the Colgate has some proprietary stuff that dentists seem to think is really good. I leave the Marvis for a treat in the evenings. I just got a tube of the Ginger Mint, and I think I liked the Fruit Mint better. Both taste WAY better than the Colgate, though.

Ive been using the one in the green tube but recieved the ginger mint today...cant wait until I try it tonite before I head out for a nice game of catch and release:w00t:

Hi Everyone!

Dead thread revival alert..

Any updates on Marvis and long term use? Are teeth as clean at dentist checkups?

Thanks, JM

I did not get as far as a dental checkup, because I did not think Marvis, as wonderful as it tastes, was doing the job.

Same thing with some of the Indian toothpastes, which taste wonderful, but have no fluoride and to me are not as thorough cleaning as modern US toothpaste. I use a fluoridated xylitol toothpaste. Hard to find that combination for some reason.

Things like Colgate Total do seem to give me canker sores if I use them consistently.

Based on online search not clear whether Marvis has flouride. Marvis is Italian. Many toothpastes from Indian taste great but have no flouride. Deal breaker for me, too.

Marvis does not have fluoride as far as I can tell. Personally, when I used it, I found that my teeth were not well maintained. I strongly discourage anyone from using it.

<Marvis does not have fluoride as far as I can tell.>
That "as far as I can tell part" is problematic all by itself as far as I am concerned. From a search of the net there are folks who quote ingredient lists from the sides of tubes where sodium fluoride is listed, and others who quote similar lists where it is not. I do not see any mention of fluoride on the Marvis website. The fact that whether or not it contains fluoride is uncertain after I tried to research it, seems bizarre for me for a toothpaste, and, as I said, reason enough to avoid it.

I will agreed it tasted great when I was using it. I encourage other toothpaste companies to follow the Marvis lead on that.

<Marvis does not have fluoride as far as I can tell.>
That "as far as I can tell part" is problematic all by itself as far as I am concerned. From a search of the net there are folks who quote ingredient lists from the sides of tubes where sodium fluoride is listed, and others who quote similar lists where it is not. I do not see any mention of fluoride on the Marvis website. The fact that whether or not it contains fluoride is uncertain after I tried to research it, seems bizarre for me for a toothpaste, and, as I said, reason enough to avoid it.

I will agreed it tasted great when I was using it. I encourage other toothpaste companies to follow the Marvis lead on that.

I'll rephrase, I do not remember the tubes that I had (strong mint and ginger mint) stating that it contained fluoride. Photo's showing the fluoride ingredient seem to be quite a bit older, so I'm inclinded to think that they've removed it. I'm personally using Pasta Del Capitano currently and so far, I like it.

One of my previous posts on Marvis:
Marvis ingredient questions

Top Bottom