What's new

Marvis ingredient questions

So I have become interested in Marvis toothpaste and have been doing research. The thing is from what I gather there must have been a formula change at some time. Do all of the flavor snow contain fluoride? I have seen them listed as having and not having. Also do they still contain parabens? Thanks you.

Far superior IMO to Toms and Crest. Once you use it you look forward to your next brushing. Give it a try.

Did you ever try this?

proxy.php

It really tastes weird the first few times, but it may be the best toothpaste that I have used so far.

Jinx18, if you are looking for a completely natural toothpaste, give Earthpaste a try. It is available at most health food stores. I have found that even the "natural" toothpastes, like Tom's of Maine, still contain a whole slew of undesirable ingredients.

Jinx18, if you are looking for a completely natural toothpaste, give Earthpaste a try. It is available at most health food stores. I have found that even the "natural" toothpastes, like Tom's of Maine, still contain a whole slew of undesirable ingredients.

Thanks. I am looking for something natural but not at the expense of not working to do what it's supposed to do.

Despite manufacturers claims, none of their products are effective to the degree we would like. This is due to the product itself, variations in oral hygiene techniques and frequency, body chemistry, health, medications, etc.. No external product is going to help or prevent gingival recession. Recession is due to the inherent composition of the underlying connective tissue, external factors such as brushing incorrectly, or too hard a brush, malocclusion and bruxism. Some periodontists believe it becomes self limiting given there is no intentional damaging habits. As far as toothpaste selection goes, buy whatever tastes good. The effective differences are negligible.

I've researched toothpaste quite a bit and found the following (Note: I'm just reporting what I've read, I cannot 100% verify any of these, but they all make sense to me):

1. If it doesn't contain fluoride, its not worth buying. Toothpaste is a medium to carry the fluoride and to encourage brushing; which, if done properly, is the second most important thing in tooth care following the fluoride. If you want a toothpaste that doesn't contain fluoride, it is recommended that your get a fluoride rinse/treatment to supplement.

2. There are different forms of fluoride. Some are of higher quality than others. Specifically "calcium fluoride is non-toxic to humans and remineralizes your enamel more effectively. Sodium fluoride is highly toxic poison and less effective, but unfortunately sodium fluoride is much cheaper since it is an industrial byproduct so it is used in most products".

3. Toothpastes that claim to do anything other than clean or desensitize your teeth are pretty much bogus and potentially harmful. For example, whitening toothpastes often have a mild abrasive that buffs off the top layer on your teeth (not actually whitening the teeth, but removing the stain physically) and does more harm than good.

4. Toothpastes that contain high amounts of sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) have the potential to cause reactions or cause you to be sensitized to SLS. Not that SLS is bad, but high amounts have the potential to screw with your skin/gums. Toms of Maine, while natural, contains high levels of SLS. Toothpaste gels typically do not contain SLS.

5. As with soaps, aftershaves, etc., natural does not always mean safe. Just bear it in mind.

With regards to parabens, Marvis does seem to contain higher than average amounts. Trying to find out if it has fluoride is hit or miss, with people saying that websites say it has fluoride, but the container not listing it as an ingredient. I've also found images showing the container having fluoride on it, but others not. It may be hit or miss for you.

As for me, I went with Elmex toothpaste. Seemed to get fairly good reviews and has decent ingredients.
$16194_3.jpg$Marvis_Ginger.jpg$Marvis_Jasmine.jpg$imagesTTRYZJR9.jpg

Top Bottom