What's new

Martin de Candre

I am considering my first soap purchase, and I was thinking about buying Martin de Candre Lavender and Mint shave soap. Has anyone here tried this product, what were your impressions?
Regards,
AJS

Nothing like starting out with a Ferrari as your first car.

Nothing like starting out with a Ferrari as your first car.
Not sure that analogy really works. Ferrari can go either extremely well or extremely poorly for a first time driver. I guess that could happen with MDC as well but it's unlikely that one would end up dead from trying it first.

MDC isn't everyone's favorite soap either. Like any other soap it has its fans and its detractors.

I was looking to read the most recent post, but I fat fingered it w/the iPhone. I ended up reading through the first couples of pages - days when folks were recommending great, readily available soaps like Trumpers and Truefitt & Hill.

Ahh, the halcyon days before reformulated products ruined these storied brands.

Ordered last Sunday, shipped Monday. I was expecting to get it next week but the scented jar was waiting for me when I got home. That is fast shipping.

Oddly, tonights shaven with MDC was a disappointment. Something I've never experienced was the razor dragging along my skin while having little to no slickness. I had to pull out my Proraso to finish the shave. I added water, loaded more, nothing helped so on my fourth pass I had enough. Strange experience with it tonight.
This was my issue with a 4 shave sample I got about a year ago. I got a full jar a couple weeks ago, though, and it gave me several great shaves out of the box. Hope it improves for you...

Some thread resurrections are just serendipitous.

Strange that most members are still complaining about the shipping costs of MdC..... after all these years.

I picked up the MdC in the butter dish from Jason's, I ordered on the 6th and I got it on the 10th. Right now, my best soaps have been AoS tallow and DRH Marlborough; MdC fits right in. I've only had one shave with it, but it is very, very nice. I love the scent, it is very relaxing.

Strange that most members are still complaining about the shipping costs of MdC..... after all these years.
Some things never change. The solution, of course, is to order larger quantities so the per unit shipping cost is minimized. :laugh:

Or organize group buys (which I guess is really the same suggestion).

Some things never change. The solution, of course, is to order larger quantities so the per unit shipping cost is minimized. :laugh:

Or organize group buys (which I guess is really the same suggestion).
Anybody here interested in starting a group buy for the Martin de Candre? I would join in :drool:

MdC is simply the best soap EVER made (in my opinion).

I like it so much I have 3 of them.
Depending on which three, and if you got them together, you may have hit the sweet spot for shipping. Three to four jars or a mix with some of their other soaps takes the bite out of shipping. Two guys doing a group order, if they live near each other, could work well. Take out the re shipping cost if possible. The cost from a site being referenced by some is way high compared to going direct to MdC.

the butter dish looked pretty cool...looked like a nice glass holder to lean the razor on.

Here's a pic when I had my MdC in "Le Beurrier" (butter dish) version:
$Mdc2.jpg
I eventually got the wooden bowl version also and amalgamted both into one stoneware bowl. I'll add also that the Wooden bowl version is much bigger than the butter dish so you do get better value for the price.

Last edited:
I have the bowl and two jars (scent and no scent) , these soaps will outlive me. In fact I'll now use the MdC today. :D

... The cost from a site being referenced by some is way high compared to going direct to MdC.

As an example I am referencing the 50mg version of the soap available on Jason's website and comparing it to the direct MdC site:

Jason's website was $40 shipped in the U.S. (now he has a combo with floid blue AS)
MdC website wanted 38.45 Euros (or $50.22) shipped to the US.

So how do you figure buying direct from MdC is cheaper?

As an example I am referencing the 50mg version of the soap available on Jason's website and comparing it to the direct MdC site:

Jason's website was $40 shipped in the U.S. (now he has a combo with floid blue AS)
MdC website wanted 38.45 Euros (or $50.22) shipped to the US.

So how do you figure buying direct from MdC is cheaper?

I think he is referring to buying multiple jars (3 or more) which cut shipping by a large fraction. Also the 200g jar is a lot less expensive per gram as well.

What scent/flavor is the regular MDC?

It's a complex scent that is difficult to describe, its smells somewhat pungent and medicinal. I would think its a soft combination of lavender and rosemary. From the website:

"The perfume is a fresh blend of natural essential oils (Benson, Rosemary, lavender, mint)"

Top Bottom