What's new

Martin de Candre

i emailed Rasage Poulin today asking whether they'd consider carrying MdC so we could have a reseller in north america. They wrote back saying they wanted to carry it, but was told that MdC had no interest in working with resellers

: (

i have written MdC and voiced my frustration over the lack of availability and the large shipping charges. perhaps it will do some good.

:blink:

After looking at the photo, I'm guessing it's very messy to lather -- at least until you get the soap below the top lip of the bowl. Do you wind up wasting a lot of soap at the beginning? Have you had any problems with the soap drying up, since there is not a lid to the bowl?

I realize this is a rather old thread now but here is my two cents for those who are still interested:

I bought this in the glass pot. The soap doesnt look anything like the pictures above in the wooden bowl - mine is solid and flat, more like a soap than a cream.

Anyway . . . it lathers like mad and tends to spill over the rim. But I just use my finger to wipe it from the rim and put it in my skuttle. It lasts forever; I've been using it in rotation with 3 others for about 6 months and the pot is still 3/4 full. It is excellent cream; one of my favorites.

Regarding the fact that the wooden bowl doesn't have a lid: MdC recommends leaving the cream open to dry out between shaves. This is what they say on their site: "The cover will only be used for transportation, at your place, leave the recipient open for a better drying. A recipient of 170g must last for 1 year!!!" The glass pot came with a lid but I leave it off for that reason.

Another great feature of this cream is that it rinses off my brush easier and more completely than any other cream or soap I have used.

Last edited:
If Martin de Candre is your first soap mate, I hate to tell you, but it's all down hill from here.

FANTASTIC soap.

So I guess you could load up on other stuff if you wanted to.

Said it before, worth repeating, their lemon after shave balm is some of the best stuff your face will ever meet. If you're looking to add something to in, that's it.

I went to their store in Fontrevaud today and bought a wooden bowl of the soap - I have to wait till I get home Saturday before I can use it...

I used the MdC today for the first time - I had a couple of practice goes at lathering and I have to say it's excellent. Subtle fragrance, smooth creamy lather, good shave, and my skin feels soft and the missus approves. I may never use another soap again...

$IMG_3846.jpg

And here I am outside the store with my bag of goodies!

My friend, you are living like a king. I am doing my best to try to emulate your experience one day soon.

Well, if you discount the cost of the airfare from Singapore - as we were going to France anyway I feel we can! - the goodies were reasonably priced in the store. Well worth the effort to get there, and we stopped for a very nice lunch in Chinon so it was a good day out.

Ha ha! It was an excellent day mate!

I envy your day! Simply wonderful. I currently have 3 of the wooden bowls myself. One in use and two waiting in the wings. It's my daily driver and by far the best soap I own. Congratulations! Now don't let airport security confiscate them, eh?

Ken

Well, if you discount the cost of the airfare from Singapore - as we were going to France anyway I feel we can! - the goodies were reasonably priced in the store. Well worth the effort to get there, and we stopped for a very nice lunch in Chinon so it was a good day out.

Well since you went so far to get some good shaving soap, you might as well stick around. I hear there may be some other things to do while you are there. You might even be able to find a good meal!

I envy your day! Simply wonderful. I currently have 3 of the wooden bowls myself. One in use and two waiting in the wings. It's my daily driver and by far the best soap I own. Congratulations! Now don't let airport security confiscate them, eh?

Ken

It all went in the check-in bags! I had taken some bubblewrap with me for the purpose...

Well since you went so far to get some good shaving soap, you might as well stick around. I hear there may be some other things to do while you are there. You might even be able to find a good meal!

Two weeks went by in a blur as usual. A blur helped by eating and drinking very well indeed!!

Oddly, tonights shaven with MDC was a disappointment. Something I've never experienced was the razor dragging along my skin while having little to no slickness. I had to pull out my Proraso to finish the shave. I added water, loaded more, nothing helped so on my fourth pass I had enough. Strange experience with it tonight.

Top Bottom