What's new

Martin De Candre Vetiver

Hello everyone, I am currently using MDC Fougere and am curious how it compares to the MDC Vetiver. Has anyone used both? I would like to know how the vetiver stacks up vs. the fougere in scent and performance.

Take care,

Nick P.

@cmh737 gave me some Vetiver to try. The performance is typical MdC, no worries there. The scent is a true Vetiver and quite nice. I find MdC scent strength in the light side but I don't think the Vetiver is any lighter than the Fougere.

IMHO the Vetyver is a wonderful scent and much stronger than the Fougere in terms of scent. Both perform the same. And FWIW, the new Vetyver is my favorite of all the MdC scents that I've used.

They are about the same in terms of scent strength. Performance is identical, as it should be, given that they have the same ingredients. You can't go wrong with either of them.

IMHO the Vetyver is a wonderful scent and much stronger than the Fougere in terms of scent. Both perform the same. And FWIW, the new Vetyver is my favorite of all the MdC scents that I've used.
I agree. Both are great performers.

Chris, have you tried the rose scent? I emailed MDC about upcoming scents they will make available and they replied that they intend to release rose and vetiver later this year. I definitely want to buy one of them.

MdC Vétiver scent is nice enough and performs on par with MdC Fougère, but Fougère remains my favourite MdC shaving soap.

In fact, for summer I slightly prefer the Citrus shaving soap over Vétiver, both of which came out as a limited edition earlier this year. So if you want either one, there is a shrinking availability to consider.

Never felt particularly attracted to Rose scented soaps though.

B.

Chris, have you tried the rose scent? I emailed MDC about upcoming scents they will make available and they replied that they intend to release rose and vetiver later this year. I definitely want to buy one of them.

I had a tub of it and PIF'd it; I did not care for the scent. To me, the MdC rose smelled quite artificial.

I had a tub of it and PIF'd it; I did not care for the scent. To me, the MdC rose smelled quite artificial.
I quite liked the scent of the sample you sent. To me, the benzoin gave it a sweet vanilla vibe and I likened it to Rose Pudding - if there were such a thing. :)
Not a pure rose, for sure.

I quite liked the scent of the sample you sent. To me, the benzoin gave it a sweet vanilla vibe and I likened it to Rose Pudding - if there were such a thing. :)
Not a pure rose, for sure.
I think you're right about the benzoin. It's not that I disliked the soap scent, per se, just wasn't the pure rose I was hoping for (if that makes sense).

I just got it and had a shave with it today. It's a nice take on a Vetiver and pairs well with a couple of my Vetiver colognes. The scent strength is about equal to the others except for the Rose which to me is stronger than all the others I have in my den. MDC advises to leave the top off their soaps once you get it in your den. I know it's to get more of the water out which is why they age their soaps but I don't leave the tops off all of the time but rather let it dry out for the entire day or all night depending on what time I shave. How many leave the top off theirs I'm curious.

Performance I find is no different than any of their other soaps of theirs I have and I happen to like the new packaging as well.

I do not leave my lids off on any MdC soap I own. I close the jar after the shave and have appreciated no ill effects in doing so.

The reason I close my jars is to preserve scent strength. I had a brain bowl of the Original and the scent became nearly non-existent as I worked through the bowl. This has not occurred on any of my jars- Original, Fougere, or Rose.

By comparison, I have a puck of Mike’s Lavender open in a mug from Dirty Bird Pottery and the scent has remained throughout.

Joe

That was fougere for me, with same outcome as your rose, given away. Artificial candle shop artificial scent, I just couldn't tolerate it even though I wanted to like it quite badly.

Incredible how subjective scents can be eh ? :D
Great performing soap though, if a bit overpriced IMHO.

So, similar would you say ??
I quite like Fine Green Vetiver, both scent and performance, just works great or my skin.
I think the that the fine scent is a bit lighter where as the MDC is a bit heavier and robust YMMV, but the pairing is pretty close IMHO. :)

Top Bottom