What's new

MARTIN DE CANDRE - UH, IT'S ALRIGHT, BUT....

I’m tempted to get the Citrus one as my next soap. I had a sample of Fougere a few years ago and while I liked the lather, the scent turned me off, and I had heard then that Original was just a less strong Fougere.

Citrus is lovely, though, nothing spectacular, just very light great scent for summer months. For what it's worth, I don't think Original is just "less strong Fougere" (which same as you, I did not like).

They are not at all the same to my nose. Original is fresh, clean scent, fairly "neutral" and in my opinion, hard to dislike (even if you're not in love with it).

I didn't like like Fougere when I sniffed it at Pasteur's (I was comparing it to SV Felce Aromatica which I already had) and left with Vetiver -- my favorite soap. I ended up ordering Fougere a couple months later and it has definitely grown on me to the point of favoring it over the SV. Fougere and Original both contain lavender, but are distinct enough for me to justify keeping both. The scent strength of Original seems more subdued than Vetiver, Fougere and Rose. I cannot weigh in on Agrumes.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I tried a sample of MdC but wasn't impressed. I can get at least as good a shave, and better post shave feel, with much cheaper soaps. I didn't find it to be that long lasting either, and head to head with a Haslinger sample, the Haslinger won on longevity, shave quality, and post shave feel. I'll not be buying MdC again.

I've never tried this soap and fancy the rose version. However, i tend to get irritatiin with some scented soaps and am wary of it. Any problems with MdC with those who may have had problems with other brands?

The Fougere is my all-time favorite soap and scent. It's light, but just right.
Agrumes was one I wasn't sure about when I bought it. It smelled much better on my face than in the tub. I now use it quite a bit at home and it's also my travel soap (I scooped some into an older tub). It has a really clean scent that makes me happy.

I still have not made a dent in either in the two months I've used them. The Fougere (which hasn't been scooped) is still up to the rim. My sons might end up inheriting these at this rate.

Ive been using an MdC sample from Maggard for a couple days and have been enjoying it. The scent is nice and the lather is good. I have noticed it does not take much to load my brush and I'll have plenty for a three pass shave. Is it worth the money, maybe. Will I buy a full tub any time soon, probably not.

I tried a sample of MdC but wasn't impressed. I can get at least as good a shave, and better post shave feel, with much cheaper soaps. I didn't find it to be that long lasting either, and head to head with a Haslinger sample, the Haslinger won on longevity, shave quality, and post shave feel. I'll not be buying MdC again.

This surprises me. I tend to agree with your shaving philosophies including MWF as a premier product. For me, in non-winter months, MdC is the best soap. 10 swirls on the puck, a couple minutes to build lather, and I find it slick and capable of great shaves. I like Haslinger a lot, but would give the edge to MdC on each of the items you listed AND, when you work it out, I would argue that MdC is, at least, close in cost over time. If someone said I could only MWF or MdC exclusively, the choice would be difficult.

Lesson learned: First impressions are not always lasting ones. :)
Same here. This soap remains a bit of a mystery to me. I started out a bit disappointed as well: I have soaps that outperform MdC in all aspects. Not the slickest or most cushiony, but I just seem to have less irritation with it. Not the best post-shave like soaps with lanolin and tallow, but even though I tend to have dry skin with many soaps, MdC doesn't give any problems and actually feels great. I seem to grab it more over time: If I don't want a fuss, but just have a damn comfortable shave, MdC fits the bill perfectly. Come to think of it: Of the best shaves I've had, MdC is over-represented. But I just can't put my finger on what it is specifically that does it for me.

I ended up ordering Fougere a couple months later and it has definitely grown on me to the point of favoring it over the ...
Yeah, wasn't crazy about it either, but really grew on me as well.

18E7641D-6F43-457A-9D8F-13F97F6EE216.jpeg

Gotta love MdC. I have original, fougere, brain bowl and agrumes. I sold the unscented one

The one in the photo has been used around 15 times

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
This surprises me. I tend to agree with your shaving philosophies including MWF as a premier product. For me, in non-winter months, MdC is the best soap. 10 swirls on the puck, a couple minutes to build lather, and I find it slick and capable of great shaves. I like Haslinger a lot, but would give the edge to MdC on each of the items you listed AND, when you work it out, I would argue that MdC is, at least, close in cost over time. If someone said I could only MWF or MdC exclusively, the choice would be difficult.

Brush and water may be a factor for me, and the fact I don't bowl lather. From 7.5g samples, Haslinger Schafmilch gave me 22 shaves, and MdC Fougere gave me just 19. In full pucks, MdC is larger, and so would give more shaves, but cost more per shave.

MdC also gave me my first bad case of brush burn. While it does bulk out eventually when worked, it is slow to do so in comparison to everything else I've used, and swirling the boar brush around my face waiting for that to happen, led to an irritation I'd never had before. I think I moved to bowl lathering for a while, just to stop that happening, but it's a few months ago, so I might have got that wrong. Even when it had bulked out nicely though, the lather felt luxurious to apply, but underwhelming in performance.

Brush and water may be a factor for me, and the fact I don't bowl lather. From 7.5g samples, Haslinger Schafmilch gave me 22 shaves, and MdC Fougere gave me just 19. In full pucks, MdC is larger, and so would give more shaves, but cost more per shave.

MdC also gave me my first bad case of brush burn. While it does bulk out eventually when worked, it is slow to do so in comparison to everything else I've used, and swirling the boar brush around my face waiting for that to happen, led to an irritation I'd never had before. I think I moved to bowl lathering for a while, just to stop that happening, but it's a few months ago, so I might have got that wrong. Even when it had bulked out nicely though, the lather felt luxurious to apply, but underwhelming in performance.
Hi, interesting you had some burn. Id get burn with some soaps and think the heavily scented Mdc might do

Ah...that makes more sense. I use a soft badger. I probably use 1/2 as much MdC as Haslinger. But, is does need to be worked longer on the face. Haslinger is likely less per shave, but not by much and the shaves aren't as good for me.

Top Bottom