What's new

Martin de Candre - The best soap ever?

MdC is a nice soap, unfortunately I get just as nice a shave out of Arko. Yes, I do like the scent of Arko and MdC also.

Bob

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Phenomenal team-up today with a 90-year-old Gillette OLD and MdC fougere soap... the close-shaving razor requires cushony lather; MdC came through.

AA

I just recently bought MdC in the fern scent. It works great and the scent is awesome, but unlike Muhle Organic cream, which I have been using for several years now, the MdC causes irritation. Not sure whether it's something used for the scent (in which case getting an unscented one would address the problem) or something else. The irritation is not as bad as I got when I tried St. James. I'll probably hold on to this one and use it in rotation with the Muhle. The scent is amazing, though, really amazing. It's like I don't want to put it down.

I just recently bought MdC in the fern scent. It works great and the scent is awesome, but unlike Muhle Organic cream, which I have been using for several years now, the MdC causes irritation. Not sure whether it's something used for the scent (in which case getting an unscented one would address the problem) or something else. The irritation is not as bad as I got when I tried St. James. I'll probably hold on to this one and use it in rotation with the Muhle. The scent is amazing, though, really amazing. It's like I don't want to put it down.

Could you explain the nature of the irritation?

It's a burning sensation, no redness. The burning sensation starts even before use of the razor and persists for a couple of hours or so after the shave.
I get a burning sensation as well, soon as it is applied and after washing off continues for a bit. I am guessing I have a mild allergy to fragrance in the soap.

Any chance you have tried the unscented version?
Have not, but this is the ingredients of MdC Fougere
Stearic Acid, Aqua, Coconut Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Aroma (Fougère)

I have had other soaps with all the ingredients listed except the Fougère Aroma. Therefore it is the only factor that could be causing the irritation.

Have not, but this is the ingredients of MdC Fougere

I have had other soaps with all the ingredients listed except the Fougère Aroma. Therefore it is the only factor that could be causing the irritation.

The aroma/scent is created by 12 essential oils. Good luck finding whats doing it :001_rolle

OK, I simply lose when it comes time to shave each morning. Instead of opening up my tube of Muhle Organic, I always end up loading up the brush with MdC. After several days of use, I'm still loving the scent so much that I overlook the slight burning sensation. A big plus is that it's a lot more slick than the Muhle and as a result I get a closer shave and even with 3 passes, no nicks at all.

After having a jar on the shelf for 2 years I finally tried MDC. It's really good. I should have listened to all of you and tries it 2 years ago!
As a result, my soap collection is reducing.

Sudsy Soapery and Nuavia are both in my top 10 but neither has bumped MdC from No. 1 for me. Those Nuavia scents are really top shelf though ( I only have Blu and Verde). I really wanted to like Nuavia more than MdC since I am Italian. While both Nuavia and MdC perform top shelf in all categories, I just think the process that MdC uses delivers such a clean, pure soap that the lather always feels so classy, always generates top shelf performance, and rinses so clean, just exudes quality. I think that both Nuavia and SS yield a slightly better post shave conditioning but that is of little meaning to me since my skin is slightly oily anyway and MdC is not drying for me. As much as I enjoy the scent of MdC Fougere, I have to stop and smell that container of Nuavia Blu everytime I pass it on the counter.

Top Bottom