What's new

Martin de candre scents

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Hi all
I never tried MDC so its about time I give it a go I'm just not sure which scent to get I always prefer that fresh colone like scent so all you de candre users let me know your preference
Thx

I have the Fougère and the Vétyver. The Unscented is on order.

So far, I can't seem to pull myself away from the Fougère.

In my opinion, MdC is awesome soap. Great lather.

I really like this soap - a lot. :)

My favorite is Agrumes. Love that strong citrus scent. I will also say that, after reading many opinions, Fougere does seem to be the most recommended. When I was in a shop (back in those days) and smelled them all, Agrumes was the standout. For me. The salesperson did try to recommend Fougere as well. As he said, "For Fall and Winter".

MdC fougere smells heavenly but damn it I can't get a good shave with it! It has 0 slickness what am I doing wrong?
Don't believe people who exaggerate they can get a great shave with 3 swirls on the soap. Load with a fairly wet brush swirled lightly on the soap for 30 seconds or more. Apply this soap paste to the face with the brush. Then, gradually add water two or three times as you build the lather on the face.

More soap + more water is the usual answer to lathering problems.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
MdC fougere smells heavenly but damn it I can't get a good shave with it! It has 0 slickness what am I doing wrong?

Probably not enough water in the lather. It’s easy to overload the brush if you aren’t used to it. If the lather is under hydrated it isn’t as slick.

As an experiment, load your brush and start adding water until the lather starts to actually drip off your face, then load just a little more soap. That lather should be slick.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The two fresh scents are agrumes (citrus) and vetyver. The original (lavender) is also fresh, but it contains benzoin resin, which some folks do not like the scent of. I’d go with agrumes.

For me, Vetyver and Fougere are 1A/1B. Rose is 3, Original 4 and Argumes 5.

Full disclosure, citrus scents are not ones I go out of the way to search out.

I've been through a jar of the unscented followed by a jar of the original. Between those two, I prefer the original. I have tried all others except rose (I had ordered the envelopes a while back). I thought I liked agrumes from a sample, but after ordering a jar, I preferred the original and ended up putting it on BST. Before the unscented, I had ordered the fougere -- great and strong scent --but it caused skin irritation and I ended up putting it on BST. I later found out that leaving the jar open helps with that.

I'm at the end of my original jar, so I'm trying to decide between original and giving the fougere another try.

Have you had better luck with other MdC scents, or is this your only experience with MdC? If the latter, then you are definitely doing something wrong, most likely not using enough soap and/or water. I use a synthetic. I like to wet the brush, squeeze it dry, load the soap for several seconds until there's what looks like a thick paste on the brush head, brush it all over the face, then add a bit of water and start lathering.

This is what my brush looks like when loaded and after lathering

Last edited:
How's the Vetyver? I have Agrumes and looking for another MDC soap to add to my collection.
I only have fougere which is excellent so I can only assume vetyver will be top notch as well too bad MDC don't do aftershave to match only a sort of oil based balm

Top Bottom