What's new

Martin de Candre Rose shaving soap

Ok, I tried again this morning and can report that I needed more water. I loaded my brush while still fairly wet and started working the lather in my bowl. I added water by wetting the tips of my brush 3 or 4 times as I was building lather. My first pass was much better.

Then, out of curiosity I decided to add more water before my second pass. I wanted to know how much was too much. I added water until the lather broke down. I was actually surprised at how much it took. Once I added a bit more product and built it back up, I did my second pass. I ended with a good shave with little irritation.

IMO, it still does not have the slickness of MWF, but now I'm realizing that I'm comparing apples and oranges. The scent it leaves behind is great. I still believe the cushioning MdC provides is better than MWF. I think it'll be a good addition to my soaps and will help give me a change of pace once in a while. I don't think it'll do regular duty for me, but I usually keep 2 or 3 other soaps in my cabinet for when I want to mix it up a bit.

Thanks for the tips and thanks again to @Steinmetzify for hooking me up.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
IMO, it still does not have the slickness of MWF, but now I'm realizing that I'm comparing apples and oranges. The scent it leaves behind is great. I still believe the cushioning MdC provides is better than MWF.

That's just one of the reasons I prefer Mitchell's. So called cushioning soaps, muffle the shave feel, giving me less feedback and therefore less control. I like a thinner lather, which gives me a far better shave, but de Candre was just too muffling to get my usual standard of shave.

Then there's the brush burn incident I got, the higher cost, the lower post shave feel, the fact I have to start it off in a bowl instead of taking straight to the face (as that's what led to brush burn)... nah. I'll stick to Mitchell's.

Iceberg using MDC rose for the past week and would say it is FAR more suited to face lathering than in a bowl. Also, soak your brush and bloom the soap for 10 minutes or so, i use a badger, chubby 3.

I kept the brush quite wet, giving it a shake only after its soak, but not squeezing. Lather is superb, creamy and just as fans of this soap say! However, other soaps are very similar., but the soap is not more expensive, as you get more in the tub.

I exclusively use MdC, currently have the Nature, Agrumes and Rose scent in rotation. I've never really put in the effort to create a perfect lather with them, it always sort of happens..

I use a synthetic and load for 10sec max, afterwards I add water 3 to 5 times. Works like a charm!

Will add the Vetiver next week, the Fougere is nice but I've never fallen in love with the scent.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Razor: Rex Ambassador, 2.5 setting
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (3)
Brush: Zenith aluminum boar, 27mm
Soap: Martin de Candre Rose
Aftershave: Proraso Aloe & Vitamin E
Growth: 24 hours
Passes: WTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 10/10

In this, my first use of Martin de Candre Rose, I kept reminiscing of a favorite movie, The Princess Bride. Since at B&B, “we are men of action; lies do not become us,” I must admit I find Martin de Candre Rose beautiful, masculine and exceptional. The scent is lovely, floral and subtle.

A well dampened boar yielded lather that just bloomed in density and glide. The razor and blade seemed to rise to a higher level, resulting in an inconceivable shave.

“Since the invention of the (shave), there have been five rated as the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind. The end.”

Martin de Candre Rose, “As you wish.”

E4FC6D4C-3D87-475D-8B70-121E4DCABFC4.jpeg

Top Bottom