What's new

Martin de Candre Rose shaving soap

A few weeks back @Steinmetzify hosted a pif giving a way a jar of MdC Rose shaving soap. I was the lucky winner. I told him I would post a review so others could hear about my experience. Although this is a review, any advice with this product would be appreciated as well.

A quick background. For the past 7 or 8 years, I've predominantly used Mitchell's Wool Fat. I'm very happy with it, but once in a while I like to change things up. MWF has great slickness, I like that the scent isn't overwhelming, it rinses off of my tools easily, and leaves my skin feeling great. I mostly face lather and do 2 WTG passes. I find this works best for me since I don't shave daily.

Ok, with that out of the way onto my experience. When I initially opened it, the scent seemed very strong. It was a good smell, but it was strong. Initially, I thought it would be overpowering, but I was wrong. It leaves a very nice, mild scent behind.

My first time using MdC, I noticed that it built up a nice lather relatively quickly. I built my lather in a bowl and the applied to my face. As soon as I started shaving I noticed this was not nearly as slick as I'm used to. It did not seem slick at all. Once my first pass was done I reapplied and went at it again. Now that my stubble was knocked down I noticed how much more cushion MdC offered over the MWF I'm used to. My first shave was an ok experience.

Shave 2 was similar to the first shave. I ended with a bit of irritation on my neck. Again, the lather didn't seem as slick as I would've liked.

Before shave 3 I went online and read some reviews. Everyone seems to love this stuff so I must be doing something wrong. This time, I thought I'd face lather since that's what I'd normally do with MWF. That was an awful idea. My neck was so irritated I wondered if I was allergic to this soap. This was an awful shave. But, it did smell nice. :)

After giving my neck a few days rest and letting the irritation go away I went back for more. This time, I went back to bowl lathering. I used less water than I thought I should. Once I built up the lather, I wetted my neck and brushed it on using N to S strokes. No circular strokes like I normally do. I dipped the tips of the brush in water and continued N to S strokes to add a bit more water. This time, my first pass felt good. I reapplied and did a second pass. Today, I got a good shave with no irritation. It was good, but I don't think it was great. It still does not feel slick enough to me.

I notice when cleaning my tools after my shave that the soap doesn't rinse off as easily as MWF. I'm wondering if that is part of what makes it feel less slippery.

I think the scent is great and the cushion of the lather is excellent. I don't think it'll become my daily go to shave soap, but I wouldn't mind using it to break up the monotony from time to time.

Am I missing something that might be causing less than stellar results?

When loading MdC like MWF, it's possible to overload it! You saying it's hard to wash off tools tells me there's too much product and not enough water. I have personally found MdC to rinse off tools very easily, and my face as well. I do a very minimal load with a wet synthetic, and a barely visible amount of lather on the brush will turn into 2 passes easily when face-lathered, which is how I do it.

Having said that, MdC is not very slick compared to many other tallow-based soaps, even when it's loaded and lathered just right. I find the lather very protective and it leaves my face feel very clean however, but hardly crazy slick lather like Arko or MWF produces, as those 2 are the slickest soaps I've used to date. Hope this helps and enjoy!

When loading MdC like MWF, it's possible to overload it! You saying it's hard to wash off tools tells me there's too much product and not enough water. I have personally found MdC to rinse off tools very easily, and my face as well. I do a very minimal load with a wet synthetic, and a barely visible amount of lather on the brush will turn into 2 passes easily when face-lathered, which is how I do it.

Having said that, MdC is not very slick compared to many other tallow-based soaps, even when it's loaded and lathered just right. I find the lather very protective and it leaves my face feel very clean however, but hardly crazy slick lather like Arko or MWF produces, as those 2 are the slickest soaps I've used to date. Hope this helps and enjoy!

Thanks for the feedback. I want to be fair to MdC and don't want to compare it to something it's not. That'd be like complaining that a Cadillac doesn't handle as well as a Ferrari.

I'll try less product and more water next time.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks for the feedback. I want to be fair to MdC and don't want to compare it to something it's not. That'd be like complaining that a Cadillac doesn't handle as well as a Ferrari.

I have no idea how strong the Rose scent is, but I'd try mixing the two on my face and try to get the best of both worlds.

But as Mr @BudgetShaverGuy will attest, I'm not only cheap, I'm very weird.

No problem! MdC a very nice clean/simple soap recipe that doesn't require a lot of work to get going. It smells wonderful and just works, without any fireworks, so to speak. :D

Yeah. Mitchell’s wf is an extremely Low water tolerance soap, Martin dc Is an extremely high water tolerance soap.

I would say when lathering with Mdc vs Mwf you want about a third as much soap and twice as much water.

I never have an issue with MdC. As others have said, I load it a little lighter than other soaps and slowly incorporate water until I get it to where I want it.

From all of your comments it seems pretty clear I need more water. I'll try again on Sunday or Monday and give an update.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Not a bad idea. TBH I never thought of that.
Lol, recently I shaved by taking an Arko stick to half my face and another fancy soap in a puck that has a name that I can't pronounce or spell: Schalfmilch? I have brain bleeds so I'm a lot of fun at parties, just hard for my wife to live with.

Anyway, I also used that hard to spell soap with a stick of Palmolive. BOTH SHAVES were awesome.

I happen to enjoy the smell of a clean toilet and a clean kitchen, so both those cheap soaps put me in my happy place. Mixing them with that foo-foo soap just made them smell better. To me, and I'm old so I really don't much care for anybody else's mileage! Lol.

I've been using MdC this week, a sample size of rose. I can't get good protection from it. I have the fern scent and never had trouble with it but for whatever reason my razor is chattering instead of gliding and nicking me in the process.

I found MdC to be slick when you keep the lather wet. On the face, it dries rather quickly -- I even add a bit of water mid-pass.

Post-shave feel is inferior to tallow-based soaps.

I’ve used both MdC Rose and MWF a lot. I load MdC for 5-10 seconds, WAY less than MWF. Then, I add more water as the lather builds (face lathering) compared to MWF. For me, the slickness is comparable and a bit more protective. I find MdC washes off a bit more easily.

So, yeah, more water...

Consider that at least in Europe MdC is considered by someone as the Rolls Royce of soaps compared to, for example, a SV compared to a Moto GP. The only thing that, in my opinion, you will have to know how to dose is the amount of water, otherwise the soap will dry on your skin and shaving will not be comfortable. Do not put a little product, although little is needed, you will have a lusty foam by adding the right amount of water.

From all of your comments it seems pretty clear I need more water. I'll try again on Sunday or Monday and give an update.

Yeah sounds to me like this is the case.

I always loaded a bunch of it even though you don’t need to, and then drowned it. Worked great.

I’d start with a pretty wet brush, not damp but WET.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It sounds like you're loading too long and missing the soap/water ratio. I get plenty of slickness from MdC.

It's a very fast loading soap and also very quick to make lather. I suspect some people don't quite complete the lather making because it looks like their normal lather 2/3 of the way through the process.

I think this is the first time I've ever suggested less soap!

Yeah. Mitchell’s wf is an extremely Low water tolerance soap, Martin dc Is an extremely high water tolerance soap.

I would say when lathering with Mdc vs Mwf you want about a third as much soap and twice as much water.

+1! First, IMO MWF is tough to beat!

That said, MdC is very fine once you get the right water ratio. :clap:

Top Bottom