What's new

Martin de candre overpriced or really that good?

If you end of getting it full size, the best place at the moment is English Shaving Company. Agree with everyone on longevity and quality. I like their scents as I have all except original and nature.

dmshaver;

I can't find an ingredients list (or web site) to save my life for Ethos but this reference popped up on another shaving site, quote;
"The base of this soap is made up from Grass Fed beef tallow and Duck fat and uses 100% pure Lavender Oil from the Fragrant fields of Provence in France. This Shave soap contains the proprietary EOS Complex which is a comprised of 36 skin food ingredients which I will give more details on once the website is up. Sheeps and Camels milk help the post shave as well as many, many other skin benefits."

Contrast that with MdC;
Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Aqua, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Parfum, Linalool, Geraniol, Limonene, Eugenol

or Beehive;
Stearic Acid, water, coconut oil, shea butter, potassium hydroxide, glycerin, sodium hydroxide, castor oil, fragrance.

I love this! Ethos #1 and MdC #2. I wish my skin was so accommodating, you are are a very lucky fellow kind sir. These 2 soaps are at opposite ends of the bell curve, or so I reckon. :ouch1: Very cool.
Thank you sir for your compliment. Ethos performs better for me than MdC in scent, slickness, residual slickness, & post-shave. As far as post-shave, it doesn't leave my face feeling waxy or oily, as some soaps do. It leaves my face feeling moisturized & hydrated. But post-shave is the least important factor for me when evaluating a soap. Ethos is equal to MdC in latherability. I have tried many soaps through the years & find Ethos to check all the boxes for me. Actually, my skin isn't very accomodating, perhaps we have similar skin. I have sensitive skin & have adverse reactions to some soaps & ingredients, but not with Ethos.

Reactions: Roy
I vote for it being overrated, not necessarily overpriced. It's not a bad value considering the size you get and how long it lasts. There are plenty of other artisan soaps that also cost about the same, either in $/shave or $/weight of soap. However, I think the performance and scent is fine but nothing extraordinary.

I think its alure comes from its relative scaricity, especially from 5-10 years ago when the only option was to purchase it directly from MdC. Within the last few years, it's possible to buy it from a number of retailers within the US, so its exclusivity factor is gone. If there's one thing that I've learned about with the wetshaving community, people will like things 10x more if it's hard to acquire.

Last edited:
Thank you sir for your compliment. Ethos performs better for me than MdC in scent, slickness, residual slickness, & post-shave. As far as post-shave, it doesn't leave my face feeling waxy or oily, as some soaps do. It leaves my face feeling moisturized & hydrated. But post-shave is the least important factor for me when evaluating a soap. Ethos is equal to MdC in latherability. I have tried many soaps through the years & find Ethos to check all the boxes for me. Actually, my skin isn't very accomodating, perhaps we have similar skin. I have sensitive skin & have adverse reactions to some soaps & ingredients, but not with Ethos.

dmshaver;

I deleted my post as I felt relevance to the OP's question was marginal. You are quick on the keyboard! Your reply is useful to the OP's quest, I thank you for the reply.

Ymmv

the performance is very good
Cost per shave reasonable even low
Smell is good but not strong enough for me.
I like my other soaps better
bottom line for me I will not buy again.

and cost wise Arko pretty much beats everything problem shaving with a gas mask 😷

I don’t get why MdC discussions get people more fired up than other products.

If somebody tries SV and they don’t think it lives up to the hype, they’ll usually say “It’s good, but I like some other products more.”

Yet when it’s MdC the response is more like “It’s not even that good, numerous soaps are better for less money!”

It’s an excellent soap. You get a lot of it, and it lasts a long time.

No soap is perfect and each individual will have a different experience with different soaps. This is why it’s important to take it with a grain of salt when anyone tells you “Brand X is much better than Brand Y for the same or less money!”

I can’t begin to tell you how many times those statements have proven wrong in my anecdotal experience.
Yes I noticed this as well people tend to get a bit fired up about it 😀 I'm sure its a good soap but since I never tried it and at $70 a jar I wanted to know if its really worth it nothing more then that I'm just curious to hear if there's really a big difference in performance with the so called high end soaps such as mdc, Castle forbs and a few others, got some barrister & man coming in this week lets see if I like this first before buying some more 😁

It’s worth trying a sample of this one before you buy. It wasn’t for me but lots of people like it. I think it’s one of those must try soaps though. It gets talked about so much it’s worth trying it for yourself.

...I'm sure its a good soap but since I never tried it and at $70 a jar I wanted to know if its really worth it nothing more then that...
People ask this all the time, but they don't listen or don't understand. Cost per use averaged over time is what really matters, not cost per jar.

A jar of Martin de Candre will cost less to use on average than a soap such as Barrister & Mann.

A person could easily go through four jars of B&M soap for the same number of shaves they would get from one jar of MdC. What is one of the main ingredient in B&M soap? Water. You are paying a premium for water.

A jar of MdC can be had for $55 with shipping. Four jars of B&M could cost $80 or more. $55 is less than $80, making MdC cheaper to use.
🤯

Want to save more? A kilo brick of Cella can be had for $26 on sale. That might last over two years of daily shaves. So, instead of the equivalent of $55 for Mdc, you could spend less than $10 on Cella.

Is it worth it? That depends on you.

Last edited:

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
It will last almost forever, but I am one of those who don't like any of the scents.

I'm more of a PdP guy. Their soap lasts a long time too and smells much better (to me).

Also a lot cheaper.
I too like PdP No 63, and for me imo, it's price value is the best I've purchased.

People ask this all the time, but they don't listen or don't understand. Cost per use averaged over time is what really matters, not cost per jar.

A jar of Martin de Candre will cost less to use on average than a soap such as Barrister & Mann.

A person could easily go through four jars of B&M soap for the same number of shaves they would get from one jar of MdC. What is one of the main ingredient in B&M soap? Water. You are paying a premium for water.

A jar of MdC can be had for $55 with shipping. Four jars of B&M could cost $80 or more. $55 is less than $80, making MdC cheaper to use.
🤯

Want to save more? A kilo brick of Cella can be had for $26 on sale. That might last over two years of daily shaves. So, instead of the equivalent of $55 for Mdc, you could spend less than $10 on Cella.

Is it worth it? That depends on you.
Good to know 👍 I see people are getting a little fired up when it comes to MDC 😄 haven't tried it so I just ask for opinions, but thanks for your input

Good to know 👍 I see people are getting a little fired up when it comes to MDC 😄 haven't tried it so I just ask for opinions, but thanks for your input
The soap is good, but whether is it worth it or not is a value judgement. You'll notice every car is not a Mercedes, plenty of people choose Toyota. Is a Mercedes worth it? Of course, you cannot lease soap.
:laugh:

Check the anecdotal shave numbers that far exceed the recent artisan boom shave numbers from a similar price. Its lopsided

+1! Cost/shave is a better metric IMO! MdC comes off very well compared to most ’artisan’ products. One jar lasts a long time!! :clap: :clap:

This reminds me of a coworker I had who brought home for me the differences in perspectives people bring to decisions. We bumped into each other at a local Saturday Market in front of a food booth that offered something like lamb kebobs for 6 dollars (this was years ago). Archie said, "Those look good but I'm not sure a kebob is worth six dollars." I said, digging around in my pocket, "Man I hope I have six dollars."

I have no idea what the value of MdC is or should be but I'm glad I emptied my pocket for the Rose and recently dug deeper to try another scent.

Reactions: RTM
@dmshaver @old_school. Just curious - is this the soap referenced for Ethos? I am not familiar so appreciate the knowledge sharing:

Last edited:
Overpriced for me. I find the slickness to be pretty poor in comparison to Arko or la toja. Also, I don’t see it lasting longer than a triple or quad milled soap

@dmshaver @old_school. Just curious - is this the soap referenced for Ethos? I am not familiar so appreciate the knowledge sharing:

This is the only Ethos soap I can find on the net. Might be wrong but I thought the maker was banned here and all of his posts deleted. You have to go to another shave forum to find the soap.

20200619_093822.jpg

The limited citrus version is really excellent

@old_school Oh wow. Hopefully it was not anything of ill repute to be banned. Appreciate the input. Thank you.

Oh absolutely not. While his soaps are too much from my face I learn much reading his posts. A complete gentleman. His username name is Dragonsbeard and the soaps are Ethos Grooming Essentials. You'll find him on every forum but B&B.

Top Bottom