What's new

Martin de candre overpriced or really that good?

Personally, it is worth the price to me. I have the Vetyver, and I love the scent. I started a jar at the same time I started a rotation of several pucks of US artisans. Eight months later, barely a dent in the MdC puck. Most of the others are showing considerable use. It lathers easier than any other soap, IMO. The lather is rich and plenty slick enough. It’s not superfatted, though, so if you’re looking for face feel, it is probably not the soap for you.

It’s a very good and expensive soap. Their bath soaps are outstanding as well. I’ve only ordered directly from them. To average out the shipping cost, I usually order several jars at a time which averages out to $50 per jar for the original lavender scent. Never tried any of the other scents. Lavender is King!

Firstly, I don't think it's some unicorn soap. However it is a very good soap. I recently purchased my first 200g jar of the original a month ago. I have shaved on and off with the soap during that time and have not made a dent, and each shave I have had a ton of excess lather. So I think it's safe to say that this soap will last a while, and as such, is a great value for the number of shaves you'll get like others have stated (per shave basis). The soap explodes into lather very easily, and is somewhat thirsty in my experience. Although I don't find it drying, I also don't find it that slick either (MWF is king here for me) All in all it provides for a nice shave, but I have had better performing soaps.

I enjoy using MdC, as the scents and ease of lathering are up there with the best I’ve tried. But honestly, regarding the lather quality, Tabac beats it by a mile.

If you’re rich, $75 is nothing of course. If you’re trying to be careful or working with limited funds, you can get better performance for less cash upfront from the otter mass-produced stuff out there like Arko, Tabac and even the new SuperFormula Proraso.

...So I wonder what's so special about it or is it just overpriced?...
Overpriced compared to what is the question. It's not an economy product, it's a luxury product for those who are willing to pay the price.

If you work out the actual cost per shave, MdC can be less than some artisan soaps like Wholly Kaw donkey milk. At the same time, it's several times more expensive per shave compared to soaps such as Arko, Tabac, MWF, Vitos Extra Super Coco, etc.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have the Vetyver, and I love the scent.
I had a sample of that and loved the scent as well. I do have a container of regular MdC, but when I restock it will be the Vetyver. I have a couple other Vetiver soaps that I bought because I liked MdC Vetyver, but they were nothing similar to the MdC and I don't care for them.

I have oily skin so prefer non artisans super fatted soaps. MdC is a good soap. I believe it's worth the cost given how long it lasts. I think it would easily outlast 5 or 6 of any artisan soaps. It's a good bit less expensive to run than many of them. If your skin tends to the oily side you will like MdC a lot more than most artisan offerings.

I had a sample of that and loved the scent as well. I do have a container of regular MdC, but when I restock it will be the Vetyver. I have a couple other Vetiver soaps that I bought because I liked MdC Vetyver, but they were nothing similar to the MdC and I don't care for them.

I have oily skin so prefer non artisans super fatted soaps. MdC is a good soap. I believe it's worth the cost given how long it lasts. I think it would easily outlast 5 or 6 of any artisan soaps. It's a good bit less expensive to run than many of them. If your skin tends to the oily side you will like MdC a lot more than most artisan offerings.

I asked my wife for a jar of Fougere for my birthday. When I saw that she accidentally bought me the Vetyver, I was disappointed...until I unscrewed the jar and took a whiff—what a wonderful fragrance!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I asked my wife for a jar of Fougere for my birthday. When I saw that she accidentally bought me the Vetyver, I was disappointed...until I unscrewed the jar and took a whiff—what a wonderful fragrance!
I've heard the Fougere is wonderful too. I will probably get a sample of that and rose when it comes time to restock, but I'll bet I end up going with the Vetyver. To me the MdC Vetyver is more smokey or dusty and not as bright and sweet as the others I have. I prefer the MdC by a good margin.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It's a lovely soap in many ways. It lathers if I wave the brush in its general direction. The one MdC scent I've used smells great to me. Shaves with it are good albeit not spectacular. A jar lasts a very long time.

4-26-20,MdC.Evo.FOCS.640.jpg

That said, I find it a bit drying.

To my way of thinking MdC is not as good as Vitos Red Cocco and Vitos is about a million times less expensive. Of course, that's just me commenting on what works for me which has nothing to do with anyone else.

Happy shaves,

Jim

@Chandu, I suspect that I would like all, or most, of their fragrances. I sampled the original and fougere in the soap pass around and liked them quite a bit. Their fragrances strike me as subtle and well balanced.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I don’t get why MdC discussions get people more fired up than other products.

If somebody tries SV and they don’t think it lives up to the hype, they’ll usually say “It’s good, but I like some other products more.”

Yet when it’s MdC the response is more like “It’s not even that good, numerous soaps are better for less money!”

It’s an excellent soap. You get a lot of it, and it lasts a long time.

No soap is perfect and each individual will have a different experience with different soaps. This is why it’s important to take it with a grain of salt when anyone tells you “Brand X is much better than Brand Y for the same or less money!”

I can’t begin to tell you how many times those statements have proven wrong in my anecdotal experience.

Is MdC over priced or really that good? Allow me to defer to a soap maker I would lay waste to my wallet based on his assessments (emphasis mine). Please, "click to expand"...

I like Tabac and do enjoy using it from time to time but here's some off the top of my head that I find better than Tabac:

Tallow & Steel
Sudsy Soapery
L&L
PannaCrema
Wholly Kaw
Grooming Dept
Barrister & Mann
Long Rifle
Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations
Midnight & Two
Captain's Choice
Martin de Candre
Dr. Jon's
WSP Formula T
Sapone di Paolo
Le Pere Lucien
Beehive
Obsessive Soap Perfectionist
Crowns & Crane
Rose Rock Apothecary

Last edited:
Mine ran out about 4/5 years so I may have forgotten a bit. I think my costs were around C$100 including shipping, tax, fees & tax on the fees. My problem was that I overloaded the brush so I wasted maybe as much as 2/3 of the container. It's a large pot and if you can control overloading it's not bad value. I found it really easy to lather, but the scent was only ordinary.

Top Bottom