What's new

Martin de Candre, finally tried it

And after a week of using it, the stuff really is fantastic! Good enough to replace my old favorite, Valobra stick.

I picked up a container of rose, and while it does smell like rose, it is very mild. No problem with that though, there is absolutely nothing offensive about a mild rose scent for me.

The stuff reminds me a bit of Tabac in that it is very 'water insensitive', meaning mix it a bit too thick and it works wonderfully. Mix it on the thin side, and it still has great properties until it actually dries on my face which is clearly too much water. But any reasonable amount of water and MdC retains all of its great properties- it is just not a fussy soap.

It has fantastic cushion and slickness. I usually use a pre- shave but have been skipping it when using MdC and it yields a better shave, protection and post- shave feel of any soap I have tried and that is without any type of pre- shave. I can also attest to the fast loading and seemingly minimal usage of soap to build plenty of lather (I use a scuttle and large boar brushes so tend to make too much later, which is just right for me :) ).

Anyway, for whatever little my opinion is worth, I and finding this to be a truly outstanding shave soap. As I get older, I am tending to narrow down my preferred types of brush, soap, razors and so forth simply because I have basically homed onto what I like and what works for me. MdC is a new favorite which I am looking forward to using often.

I also ordered a tin of SV because again, it comes so highly recommended that I think I just have to take it for a test- shave. If it is in the realm of MdC, I will take it into my new, much smaller rotation of shaving soaps that I really enjoy using and provide the most comfortable shaves.

SV is my fav had a sample of MDC but liked SV better but at some point going to come back around to MDC to try again IMHO the sample sizes I wont ever do again I just feel its to little to give the soap a fair try :) :)

@BDF curious what SV scent did ya pick out :) will be fun to hear your thoughts between the two :)

And after a week of using it, the stuff really is fantastic! Good enough to replace my old favorite, Valobra stick.

I picked up a container of rose, and while it does smell like rose, it is very mild. No problem with that though, there is absolutely nothing offensive about a mild rose scent for me.

The stuff reminds me a bit of Tabac in that it is very 'water insensitive', meaning mix it a bit too thick and it works wonderfully. Mix it on the thin side, and it still has great properties until it actually dries on my face which is clearly too much water. But any reasonable amount of water and MdC retains all of its great properties- it is just not a fussy soap.

It has fantastic cushion and slickness. I usually use a pre- shave but have been skipping it when using MdC and it yields a better shave, protection and post- shave feel of any soap I have tried and that is without any type of pre- shave. I can also attest to the fast loading and seemingly minimal usage of soap to build plenty of lather (I use a scuttle and large boar brushes so tend to make too much later, which is just right for me :) ).

Anyway, for whatever little my opinion is worth, I and finding this to be a truly outstanding shave soap. As I get older, I am tending to narrow down my preferred types of brush, soap, razors and so forth simply because I have basically homed onto what I like and what works for me. MdC is a new favorite which I am looking forward to using often.

I also ordered a tin of SV because again, it comes so highly recommended that I think I just have to take it for a test- shave. If it is in the realm of MdC, I will take it into my new, much smaller rotation of shaving soaps that I really enjoy using and provide the most comfortable shaves.
I really like MDC soaps. I would also say it is good value. A full sized jar just seems to last a long time. I like the short loading time required and how well it just boost into a good lather quick. The scents and the post shave is also nice.
I have not tried the rose scent yet.

I'm kind of relearning wet shaving after years of just using MWF/Tabac. After recent research and sampling, I landed on SV 70th, MdC (samples), and Ethos Succes. With these three soaps I could be set for life. All top-notch, you did well I think.

I agree that these are top-notch soaps!
MDC and SV are what I try to push everyone to try. I know one guy who says he can wet his brush and soap puck of MDC, Do 6 swirls on top of the puck, and have enough soap for a 3 pass shave. And I bet that would work. I'd still want more but this stuff just lasts so long. 0.3gm per shave is what I found with either of these soaps.
The scents are so light that I don't really smell them except for the first minute after opening a tub. My smeller doesn't work so well anymore hauling fuel for a living.

Some people say it's too pasty. They just haven't learned how to add enough water.

Another one to try and is much less in cost is Pre de Provence. A very hard puck that lathers very well. I'm working through all my soaps to cut back on the amount I have. But MDC and SV and a couple of others will always be in my rotation. Congrats on finding the cherry on top!

MdC and SV are my absolute favourites, though SV just pips MdC for the top spot
curious what it is that pips the top ?

for all the other artisan soaps compared to my SV its the post that just comes out a touch nicer and how easy it is to work with that puts it to #1 for me
I think a few match its slickness ?

Dang it all of you for making me want to try SV! I need to pick up their AS sampler to pick a scent; are the soaps a close match to the AS samples?

For anyone that is curious, here's what the bottom of the jar looks like. :c9:

MdC hole.jpg

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
curious what it is that pips the top ?

for all the other artisan soaps compared to my SV its the post that just comes out a touch nicer and how easy it is to work with that puts it to #1 for me
I think a few match its slickness ?
Sorry if I didn't make it clear that SV pips MdC for to top spot in my den. It's just that MdC leaves my skin feeling very slightly drier than SV does though it is just as slick.
In the slickness stakes I have found Tabac to be excellent and once my Tabac stick is gone I will replace it with the jar.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear that SV pips MdC for to top spot in my den. It's just that MdC leaves my skin feeling very slightly drier than SV does though it is just as slick.
In the slickness stakes I have found Tabac to be excellent and once my Tabac stick is gone I will replace it with the jar.
I'd have to agree with the above 100%

Top Bottom