What's new

Martin de Candre Agrumes

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a 50 gram jar of Agrumes and have a couple of questions:
1. Scent - I have had a sample (slivers) of this for a while and have noticed that the scent has faded a good bit since I first got it. Since a container of MdC is supposed to last a long time, should I be concerned about the scent fading, or do you think the fading scent I experienced was due primarily to the small sample size?
2. Jar size - Is the 50 gram jar wide enough to lather in the container, or will I need to put it in a smaller container or scrape out into a lathering bowl just what I need for each shave? Thanks

2. JAr size

Agrumes is a wonderful soap, but my full-sized puck's scent has faded away over the three months that I have used it. It is a fine lemon aroma, and I miss it. But the performance is so good that I put up with it. This is in contrast to the much stronger Rose MdC scent, which lingers quite firmly right to the bottom of the jar. These are the only MdC soaps I have.

I have 2 MDC 50gr jars original and fougere although it's possible to load straight from the jar I find it more easy to scrape some in your lather bowl personally I didn't noticed any scent loss in the 4/5 months I have them...wonderful soaps

...but my full-sized puck's scent has faded away over the three months that I have used it. It is a fine lemon aroma, and I miss it.
Oh, that's unfortunate! I've just started using a fresh jar of Agrumes and I do hope the scent doesn't fade in 3 months time. I'll keep my nose on it..

I bought a full 200g jar of Agrumes back in June of 2019 (in France). It's just as lemony-grapefruity as ever to my nose.

Fwiw, back in 2019, I thought that buying a shave soap in an area I traveled to would be fun. A shaving souvenir of sorts. The universe has not cooperated so far.

I lather from the jar. MdC loads quickly and easily.

Fwiw, back in 2019, I thought that buying a shave soap in an area I traveled to would be fun. A shaving souvenir of sorts. The universe has not cooperated so far.
I guess I don't understand. Did something not go well? Does the soap perform poorly?

Does anyone know if the fougere Scent lasts longer?
I'm 18 months into my jar of Fougere. A couple months back I repotted it into a Plisson bowl and it stays on the counter. Seems about the same as it started, maybe a little fainter. Slow changes over time are hard to detect. It was never a strong scent, Rose seemed stronger from what I remember of the sample I had.

I’ve got a jar of Agrumes from the first batch they made a few years ago. It still smells the same to me as when it was new.

Don't worry about the scent fading, I've been using a 200g tub for years (mostly leaving the lid off) and the scent has only faded slightly. The scent is very lemon forward with a bit of lime and sweetness, very natural.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
All the scents last just fine, let the soaps dry for a few hours/overnight then replace the lid unless you’re 3017ing, then don’t worry about the lid.

No, the 50g jar would not be wide enough for me though you might do it with Wee Scot. Just dig it out and put it in a proper container.

I guess I don't understand. Did something not go well? Does the soap perform poorly?
This was not about MdC at all. It was about traveling and getting trip soaps. Sorry for the confusion. The soap, as I wrote, is fantastic and smells as fresh as the first day.

Reactions: Jut
This was not about MdC at all. It was about traveling and getting trip soaps. Sorry for the confusion. The soap, as I wrote, is fantastic and smells as fresh as the first day.
I thought you meant you got the MdC while traveling in France. I understand now😄

MdC Agrumes has a light scent to begin with. Mine has turned yellowish overtime, but the scent is still there

My only MdC that truly lost its scent is an Original brain bowl. Still performs like a champ

about the 50g jar, they are not cost effective in my opinion. They cost more than half of the 200g jar, with 1/4 of the amount.

I have the 50oz and 200oz size jars. I was able to lather directly from the small jar for as long as it was full or nearly full. When the soap eventually went down, it became difficult to lather from the jar because of the small opening. I was using a Chubby 2 brush, I could probably still lather if I used a tiny brush. Unless you really need the small container, it is a better deal to buy the large size.

Interesting discussion about the 50g jar since I was considering one. So far I have always bought 200g jars.

I have only had original scent for a long enough period of time. I find that the scent and feel changes a little, maybe the oils are not mixed in as consistently. The scent is strongest when new, and I leave the jar open and use daily. In about a month it gets to where it will be till the end.

Top Bottom