What's new

Martial arts practitioners?

Hello,

I've noticed there is a thread specifically for those involved in MMA, and thought it might be nice to have one devoted to traditional martial arts. So, do any of you fine shavers practice karate, Tai Chi, Capoeira, or something else along those lines?

I'll start: I have a black belt in Uechi-ryu karate. I've practiced the art since I was about nine, although since heading to university I have not had the chance to continue lessons, and so have confined myself to refining what I know already rather than learning anything entirely new.

I train in Goju-Ryu Karate, as well as traditional Ryukyu Kobudo. I have a strong interest in the history and culture of the traditional martial arts. I'll be following this one...

In my teenage years I studied Hwa Rang Do.

I now study PaKua. Specifically the Martial Arts, Tai-Chi, and Chinese Yoga aspects. I also train in long and short stick.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Rex Kwon Do for the better part of the last decade, here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done various martial arts over the years, Shorin ryu, Bujinkan, Danzan ryu, Eskrima, Muay Thai, some BJJ and Pencak Silat while I was in college. Now I am doing Judo at a local gym, they do an unusual amount of newaza considering half of the students and coaches are former wrestlers so that's good, it's almost like a Judo/BJJ hybrid class.

Did Japanese/Western Jiu jitsu since mid 80's. Some other stuff. Now trying to get my old broken down body to get my brown belt in judo. The mats seem to be farther away when I get thrown these days.

Lots of judoka! I got my son into judo at age 6 because he is too young for jiu jitsu. At that time I though about trying judo so we had something to do together. but I don't think I can handle it now that I'm older. Rather stay on the ground.

A few years of Tum Pai Kajukenbo, TKD, Shaolin Chin-Na, and assorted Sil Lum Dao including Mantis, Tiger, Snake, Crane, and Dragon. Add Tau Chi Chuan, Pa Kua, trained with Sifu Archibek and a couple Black Belt magazine editors for a while when I was training in Chin-Na. Great bunch.

Trained a bit over ten years in all and loved every minute of it. I was an Asian Philosophy major for much of that period and loved traditional gwoons.

Well, both my kids do bjj. In fact, my youngest is IBJJF Pan American Champion and also American National Champion. My oldest is an American National Champion. Proud dad here. Check out their FB page by searching Drew and Alex Johnson.

Top Bottom