What's new

Marmite and Vegemite fanciers?

The Vegemite arrived a few days ago. The taste is slightly different from Marmite but I can't imagine anyone liking one but not the other.
Vegemite is without question the winner for me because it's so much easier to spread than Marmite. Marmite is gooey and stringy but Vegemite spreads like warm butter.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Got a jar of Marmite today; love the stuff.

🤔I object to the cost, it was over $5. Sure and it doesn't cost that across the water, don't you know.

AA

Reminded me of my student trip in Australia years ago :c17:

CAM01048(1).jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Wow... you must really be into the umami funk. Gochujang works really well balanced with some sweetness. Honey, brown sugar, maple syrup... I don't want to hijack this thread but here's a great recipe:
Sometimes hijacking has nice consequences.

The Vegemite arrived a few days ago. The taste is slightly different from Marmite but I can't imagine anyone liking one but not the other.
Vegemite is without question the winner for me because it's so much easier to spread than Marmite. Marmite is gooey and stringy but Vegemite spreads like warm butter.
I like Vegamite better since it has a more complex flavor to it. Marmite just sort of hits you full on, and that is all it has, while Vegamite is mellower over all, but has some layers to it as well.

So, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves, but I actually enjoyed this! I used about a pea sized amount of the vegemite by the way. The flavors actually complement each other.
20210219_223523.jpg
20210219_223736.jpg
20210219_223715.jpg

There's no fourth picture because the chocolate was immediately consumed.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves, but I actually enjoyed this! I used about a pea sized amount of the vegemite by the way. The flavors actually complement each other.
View attachment 1225654View attachment 1225655View attachment 1225656
There's no fourth picture because the chocolate was immediately consumed.
Your top pic freaked me out!

I thought the knife with the dab of Vegemite was a horse fly!

Have you eaten Vegemite before? Can you describe the taste? I can't imagine my lovely War Department letting me try it (she is the reason we are not in the poorhouse) so must live vicariously my friend...

Have you eaten Vegemite before? Can you describe the taste? I can't imagine my lovely War Department letting me try it (she is the reason we are not in the poorhouse) so must live vicariously my friend...

It's a pretty unique flavor that I've never come up with any comparison for... it's very salty, with much of the sort of umami kind of hit as well, almost beefy in some ways, sort of? It's one of those flavors that once you've had it, you'll immediately recognize it again, but good luck giving any real accurate description of it. lol

FarmerTan

It's a pretty unique flavor that I've never come up with any comparison for... it's very salty, with much of the sort of umami kind of hit as well, almost beefy in some ways, sort of? It's one of those flavors that once you've had it, you'll immediately recognize it again, but good luck giving any real accurate description of it. lol
I am sure I will try it some day. I actually looked into it on the interwebs last night. What a strange history!

Yes, I've I've recently finished off a 220 g jar and the one pictured was opened three days ago.
As for the flavor, the best description I can give is a that it's a salty/savory flavor that's intense by itself.
With the chocolate, the taste experience is similar to eating salted caramel with chocolate. A little salty upfront but followed up with a sweet reward.

I grew up with NZ marmite so that is my preference. Now in Ireland, the NZ marmite is unobtainable so I go for vegemite when the urge strikes. The UK marmite doesn't work for me.

I grew up with NZ marmite so that is my preference. Now in Ireland, the NZ marmite is unobtainable so I go for vegemite when the urge strikes. The UK marmite doesn't work for me.
Huh... I had no idea there was also regional versions like that. Interesting.

FarmerTan

Lol. I guess it was the SECOND pic I thought was a horse fly...

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Huh... I had no idea there was also regional versions like that. Interesting.

Yep, you get expats from the UK or South African here in NZ hunting down their own homeland made versions as they taste different. I guess it is part due the yeast extract used to make it is a by-product of beer brewing, so different beer manufacture could effect the end product. Just a wild guess.
Also Marmite in NZ is made by Sanitarium and in the UK by Unilever.

As Cleanshaved (above) said, expats tend to search out the marmite they grew up with. I can state for a fact the texture and taste between the NZ and UK variants is very different. I haven't tried the SA version but given they tend to search out the SA version, I would assume it is different again.

For me, the UK version is stronger and not as sweet. It is runnier than the NZ marmite.

As Cleanshaved (above) said, expats tend to search out the marmite they grew up with. I can state for a fact the texture and taste between the NZ and UK variants is very different. I haven't tried the SA version but given they tend to search out the SA version, I would assume it is different again.

For me, the UK version is stronger and not as sweet. It is runnier than the NZ marmite.
It would be a lot of fun to obtain all the different variations for a taste test all at the same time, especially since I didn't grow up eating vegemite or marmite at all, so I'm not regenaly accustomed to any one flavor.
Variety, especially in case, is the spice of life!

So I have been really enjoying Vegemite. It has really grown on me. I use it on butter toast and I have even used it in stews to help the flavor. I finally got my bottle of Marmite shipped from England. It took forever. It’s milder and gooey. It is similar to Vegemite, but it’s not growing on me. It doesn’t have the same zing. It’s good, but I’ll buy another bottle of Vegemite next.

Top Bottom