What's new

Marmite and Vegemite fanciers?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
From what I’ve learned from the Aussies and New Zealanders...just use a little spread over toasted bread and include a little butter and jam of your choice.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
In British Columbia I can find Marmite on the shelves but Vegemite is considered "seasonal" and only brought in for the "lifties" who come up from Oz in our winter to work in the ski industry.

Things being the way they are at the moment, with no lifties allowed to travel, no Vegemite on the shelves.

O.H.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
From what I’ve learned from the Aussies and New Zealanders...just use a little spread over toasted bread and include a little butter and jam of your choice.
Jam? No way! Thinly spread on toasted bread, put a second slice of melted cheese on toast on the top for a 'cheese and marmite toastie'. Fantastic!

20201226_182044.jpg

Marmite is staple food in our kitchen. I am currently awaiting the arrival of an Amazon order of two large pots (1lb of Marmite). I was considering getting the 600g tub but I like the glass jars better.
Awesome spread.

PS: Never tried Vegemite.

I have both in my cupboard and like them both, though I prefer vegemite more than marmite.
The flavor is certainly unique and I was hooked from the very first taste.
I think I'm going to make some toast now!

I am a diehard vegemite-on-toast fan. Survived on it while on a travel-working sabbatical through New Zealand back between 1988 to 1990. Unable to buy it in my country but luckily was gifted a big tub a few years ago...
Ever since the lock-downs started back in March, we have been making our own bread...just had a slice from a freshly baked loaf...
20201227_162945.jpg

Marmite was one of the first biomass foods- foods that are single-celled organisms. The Germans researched similar foods during WWI.

It's OK. I eat it occasionally. It's made from recycled brewer's yeast so it has a bitter edge owing to hops and other ingredients that the yeast absorbs.

I prefer miso for savoriness. You can use it just like marmite or vegemite on toast, and it spreads easier. The flavor is alot smoother. Most brands from health food stores are also probiotic.

Another fantastic food they have here in the US in health food stores is nutritional yeast. It's similar to Marmite in flavor, but without the bitterness. I use it in soups and sauces all the time.

Love love love both Vegemite and Marmite.

Those who crave that umami.... and we can't be friends unless you do... I suggest strongly that they add gochujang to their cupboard.
Sounds tasty, I'll have to some the next time I go to one my local Asian grocery stores.

Sounds tasty, I'll have to some the next time I go to one my local Asian grocery stores.

By itself it's a bit strong... definitely don't recommend spreading it on bread with butter. But... I assure you once you get the taste for it, it'll make it's way into practically every dish.

By itself it's a bit strong... definitely don't recommend spreading it on bread with butter. But... I assure you once you get the taste for it, it'll make it's way into practically every dish.
I picked some up today. It's pretty tasty by itself and I'm already thinking about what dish I want to make using it.
Despite your not recommending spreading it on buttered toast, I bet it would make a tasty compound butter spread, possibly on corn on the cob for starters for a unique twists on Mexican elote corn.
20201229_170559.jpg
Quick edit guys!
I melted 2 Tbls butter in with 1.25 cups yellow corn kernels and mixed it a little over a 1 ts of the gochujang. Delicious is the only way to describe it. Will definitely be making a compound butter with it!

Last edited:
I picked some up today. It's pretty tasty by itself and I'm already thinking about what dish I want to make using it.
Despite your not recommending spreading it on buttered toast, I bet it would make a tasty compound butter spread, possibly on corn on the cob for starters for a unique twists on Mexican elote corn.
View attachment 1201542
Quick edit guys!
I melted 2 Tbls butter in with 1.25 cups yellow corn kernels and mixed it a little over a 1 ts of the gochujang. Delicious is the only way to describe it. Will definitely be making a compound butter with it!

Wow... you must really be into the umami funk. Gochujang works really well balanced with some sweetness. Honey, brown sugar, maple syrup... I don't want to hijack this thread but here's a great recipe:

Our favourite vehicle for Marmite is the good old Crumpet.

IMG_3957.JPG

Toasted, with a thin spread of margarine or butter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom