What's new

Marmite and Vegemite fanciers?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
There is a current shortage here in New Zealand. Marmite was made in Christchurch but the factory has been closed after last years earthquake damaged the factory.
It's is being called Marmageddon. won't be on the shelfs again until September.
even though i grow up on marmite I preferr Vegimite. so I will make it through these very dark times LOL

I may have to give the ole Vegemite another go.

I don't understand - whats all this 'spread thinly' rubbish?

It's pretty simple, put loads of butter and loads of Marmite on to toast. Mix the 2 together and spread until at least 1/4" thick and eat with a cup of strong Yorkshire tea. Job done.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I don't understand - whats all this 'spread thinly' rubbish?

It's pretty simple, put loads of butter and loads of Marmite on to toast. Mix the 2 together and spread until at least 1/4" thick and eat with a cup of strong Yorkshire tea. Job done.

And I thought it should be chased down with some Irn Bru.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I don't understand - whats all this 'Marmite' rubbish?

It's pretty simple, put loads of butter and loads of Vegemite on to toast. Mix the 2 together and spread until at least 1/4" thick and. Job done.

FTFY........ He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich. :w00t:

Last edited:
Vegemite plays an important part in most Aussie's up-bringing.
You cannot beat it on fresh bread or toast. :001_smile

The interesting thing is that I any the kids hate Marmite. My wife likes them both.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Marmite rules! 1/4" on toast at least.

Proof that there are great undiscovered wonders still out there.

AA

Later on at some point, I'll be having a taste off:

$IMG_20170114_155927.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Later on at some point, I'll be having a taste off:

View attachment 716697

It will be interesting to see your take on these. I assume the Marmite is English?
NZ Marmite is different, infact each country that makes it has a slight different taste. Maybe becauce it is from yeast extract, a byproduct of beer brewing and beer around the world is also different.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be interesting to see your take on these. I assume the Marmite is English?
NZ Marmite is different, infact each country that makes it has a slight different taste. Maybe becauce it is from yeast extract, a byproduct of beer brewing and beer around the world is also different.

Having to source the yeast extract from completely different breweries in the UK compared to the stuff made in NZ would definitely influence the final product's flavor. So could having to source other ingredients locally. If they use like onions they may have to use a local closest flavor match to the ones they get in in the UK. Based on the video, the two versions have different packaging? The Marmite I picked up was the same packaging as the stuff I had bought when I was in the UK on my couple of trips there. I had already had Marmite prior to this, and knew I enjoyed it. My favorite application was on grilled cheese.

So for this little initial taste test, I toasted some bread, butter it, and then actually spread cream cheese on it, the applied Marmite to one slice, and Vegamite to the other (I did my best to make it equal amounts). No, I didn't put it on 1/4" thick, but I used more than most would expect an American to use since I had previously tasted Marmite.

Final result after eating them both? I actually preferred the Vegamite. It has much more range of subtle flavor than Marmite. Both are very salty as expected, but the Vegamite definitely has more flavors going on with the salty than the Marmite does, with a bit less of over all salt kick.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Having to source the yeast extract from completely different breweries in the UK compared to the stuff made in NZ would definitely influence the final product's flavor. So could having to source other ingredients locally. If they use like onions they may have to use a local closest flavor match to the ones they get in in the UK. Based on the video, the two versions have different packaging? The Marmite I picked up was the same packaging as the stuff I had bought when I was in the UK on my couple of trips there. I had already had Marmite prior to this, and knew I enjoyed it. My favorite application was on grilled cheese.

So for this little initial taste test, I toasted some bread, butter it, and then actually spread cream cheese on it, the applied Marmite to one slice, and Vegamite to the other (I did my best to make it equal amounts). No, I didn't put it on 1/4" thick, but I used more than most would expect an American to use since I had previously tasted Marmite.

Final result after eating them both? I actually preferred the Vegamite. It has much more range of subtle flavor than Marmite. Both are very salty as expected, but the Vegamite definitely has more flavors going on with the salty than the Marmite does, with a bit less of over all salt kick.

Yes that is how our Marmite looks.
When the 2013 Christchurch earthquake closed the factory the shelf went empty. This made a black market for the balck stuff.
A crazy dark times. :lol: Someone even sold a pot of marmite for $800..... what the.....
The Marmite shortage also led to legal action from Sanitarium, which sought to seize a shipment of British Marmite brought into the country to meet demand. Claiming a infringed on its trademark rights.

I grew up on marmite but now prefer vegitime. Your taste test matches my take on the two as well. I picked up a small jar of marmite after it came back on the shelfs, just to see what all the noise was about. Nope, I still prefer vegemite.

While I prefer the Vegamite, I wouldn't turn down Marmite if it was the only option. Sadly, neither is an inexpensive option here, being highly specialized imports. I think the two jars cost me close to $20 on the grocery bill. :lol:

Marmite is used basically as a concentrated gravy for me when I want a meaty flavor. It's not good plain on toast but I do like a bit with eggs or in soup.
Vegemite is in my cart for my next Amazon purchase.

Wow, this is an old thread!

I don’t know how you folks eat this stuff, but I eat Cheez Whiz so what do I know?

I went out with a South African girl when I was young and she used to stick an open jar of a marmite under my nose if I wouldn’t wake up. No matter how hung over I was, it got me up. 🤮

Top Bottom