What's new

Marlin 39a Mountie

Went back to the gun shop where I bought the Sig P365 last week, and picked up a little Marlin 39a Mountie. $625 plus tax , Turned out to be a 1969 model. I grew up shooting a 39a my father bought for me back about 1952, so am very familiar with these. About 3 years ago I found a nice 1957 model on gunbroker and had it shipped straight to me thanks to a C&R license. The one today has a Lyman globe front sight missing the insert and the stock bullseye is missing,otherwise perfect and have those items on order. It had some cheap scope mounted, on a steel Marlin tip off base, so I told them I did not want that scope. I'm thinking about installing one of the vintage Weaver K2.5 or K3 scopes i have, one with a post/crosshair reticule the other with a German 3 reticule. Things seem to be drying out, so may try the range next week, The other gunshop called and has the flat trigger installed in my Sig P365, so the fun can begin.

Pixxxxxx! :ouch1:

Model 39s are great. Another one that got away!

I have the Henry lever .22 and sorry fans, it isn't half the gun.

AA
I looked at a Henry last year out of curiosity. Smooth and slick but it just doesn't have the feel of a Marlin

Gold trigger? Don't know when they started that.

We had several over the years. Solid shooter.

I think they are all sold. I'd have to look at the A&D books to know for sure.

Old pic of a nice plumb pudding 39a break down that passed through the shop. 99-100% example

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Gold trigger? Don't know when they started that.

We had several over the years. Solid shooter.

I think they are all sold. I'd have to look at the A&D books to know for sure.

Old pic of a nice plumb pudding 39a break down that passed through the shop. 99-100% example

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Case-hardened! Beauty!

AA

I got a new front sight ramp in today, off ebay. It's not truly period correct, as edges and corners are sharper and more square. I was lucky in that it had a front sight installed, so do not have to put one in. Someone had installed a globe target front sight and went about it the wrong way and filled out the ramp to get the globe sight in instead of filing a bit off the globe sights dovetail. ( I was always taught to file away on the cheapest most easily replaceable part) I had put a drop of Kroil on the screws and they soaked for a couple of day. Used a well fitting hollow ground screwdriver, gave the screws a couple of good taps with a small ball peen hammer and then they backed right out. New base is a perfect fit and looks much better, although the hood supplied is a flat top vs the period correct round top.

I have a Marlin 39a with the golden trigger I got for my 12th b-day in 1977. it has killed hundreds of squirrels and I have put thousands of rounds through it and it is still a nail driver.

Great. Dad bought mine, a pre "golden" model for me back in 1952, I turned 6 the last quarter of that year. I still have it, and have shot it a lot over the years. He also got a 336 sc in 35 Remington either that year or the next, and I still have it.

Just now saw your thread jkingrph. Sounds like you have some Marlin 39 goodness right there.

It was one of those "where have you been all my life moments" for me when I finally picked up a Model 39A last summer at the San Angelo, Texas gun show. An honest Injun rifle from out of West Texas ranching country, this one dates to 1953.

Wish I had had a good Marlin 39A beginning when I was young.

Just now saw your thread jkingrph. Sounds like you have some Marlin 39 goodness right there.

It was one of those "where have you been all my life moments" for me when I finally picked up a Model 39A last summer at the San Angelo, Texas gun show. An honest Injun rifle from out of West Texas ranching country, this one dates to 1953.

Wish I had had a good Marlin 39A beginning when I was young.
Looks good, Hope you enjoy it. Stick a Lyman 66 receiver sight on it and you will appreciate the accuracy and ease of shooting it more. It's already drilled and tapped on the back side of the receiver for that sight

Top Bottom