What's new

Marijuana legal for recreational use in Colorado/Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm telling you guys, the pizza places will be jumping.
I live in the drug gateway to the North.
There is so much of it around here it's just crazy.

The pizza places are always busy. Coincidence? No!

I'm guessing the rabbit hole goes to the top, otherwise I don't see a reason why it hasn't happened sooner. Think about it, Government leagalizes it, and taxes it. We smoke it, eat more, and get fat. Government uses it as a form of population control, because were fat. Medical industry loves it because we are fat and sick. more jobs are created because we need to be taken care of, cause were fat. Food vendors love it beacuse we are eating more and getting....... you guessed it fat.

Ok, maybe i'm off my rocker a little bit. Just trying to bring some humor to the party.

@kmain: I agree with everything you say here.

Frankly, I'm sick of the hypocrisy existing in our country. You go to jail for possessing a little weed, but feel free to amble down to your corner liquor store and buy all the booze you can drink. Or brew some beer at home. Or tell your doctor you have an "owie" to get some Vicodin or Oxycontin, or that you are stressed out to get some Xanax.

I have been around plenty of people who get real ugly when they drink, but I have never encountered an angry marijuana smoker (not that I have smoked much, and it was a long time ago).

I think our society would be much better if everybody just took a nice deep bong hit and chilled out.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Way off topic gents.

If you want to talk about the laws recently passed in Colorado and Washington have at it.

This thread isn't going to turn into a cheering section for NORML

@kmain: I agree with everything you say here.

Frankly, I'm sick of the hypocrisy existing in our country. You go to jail for possessing a little weed, but feel free to amble down to your corner liquor store and buy all the booze you can drink. Or brew some beer at home. Or tell your doctor you have an "owie" to get some Vicodin or Oxycontin, or that you are stressed out to get some Xanax.

I have been around plenty of people who get real ugly when they drink, but I have never encountered an angry marijuana smoker (not that I have smoked much, and it was a long time ago).

I think our society would be much better if everybody just took a nice deep bong hit and chilled out.

Neither have I. But I can say that when some are not high they can be very irritable.

...Especially something with confirmed medical benefits as this. Heck most pharmaceutical drugs are WAY more dangerous in excess (suicide by consuming pills) and mind altering (Ativan)

I didn't know there were any benefits from Marijuana. All I've heard is that it's just not horrible like they say it is. What kind of benefits does it offer?

I do think that it's only a gateway drug because it's illegal. I don't smoke it, but I'm not opposed to legalizing and regulating it. I think the only problem I'd have is that I wouldn't want to date anyone who does smoke it. It's disgusting to me. :001_unsur Just the kissing it and smelling it. I just don't like it. That's one reason, albeit not the main reason, that I don't smoke it. YMMV

It seems to me that almost all the gang related crime is trickle-down from drugs and money, the former seeming to be majorly if indirectly caused by the power of the cartels down south, who make over 50% of their money from marijuana. Legalizing it could have a potentially drastic effect on crime as the cartels wouldn't be as affluent, their profits would diminish, along with their power. Any industry created by this could create jobs, and honest ones. I can't help but hope for that kind of effect. I can think of few negative effects from legalizing it. I guess we won't know until/unless we see it happen, though.

The potential increase in impaired driving kinda scares me, though.

Of course, I'm just speculating.

Actually, I have. It was a big problem in a place I used to work in.

On that topic, I wonder how those new laws will affect employers that require drug testing? Many employers absorb the cost of drug testing in order to prevent problems in the work place from drug use. They wouldn't bother doing that if it wasn't a problem to begin with.

On that topic, I wonder how those new laws will affect employers that require drug testing? Many employers absorb the cost of drug testing in order to prevent problems in the work place from drug use. They wouldn't bother doing that if it wasn't a problem to begin with.

Do they test for alcohol consumption? No, because drinking is socially acceptable. If marijuana is legal, they would have no more reason to disqualify you for a position than if you drank a few scotch and sodas each evening.

Now, to play devil's advocate to my own ramblings, what makes marijuana worse than alcohol is that it stays in your system longer, thereby affecting performance longer. This is why I didn't like marijuana on the 4-5 times I smoked it. I felt sluggish and uncoordinated for a day or two afterwards.

I'm not an advocate for legalizing marijuana. I just have a distaste for the hypocrisy surrounding its usage.

I fully support legalization (and voted for it in WA), since I think that it's the lesser of two evils. I'm not running around saying that smoking is great for you or has any particular "benefits," but neither does drinking, and prohibition has proven to be an ineffective policy.

Legalization and state regulation will make it harder for kids to purchase weed if it's regulated like alcohol. Getting weed was easier than getting alcohol in high school, since if someone was selling weed, they didn't care how old you were. And I'm not of the belief that a bunch of people are going to pick up weed just because it's legal--there are plenty of people who don't drink or smoke tobacco by choice.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I always thought it was funny that world governments banned what is basically a weed. Unlike many of our other vices like beer, vodka, cigarettes, cocaine, heroin, etc. it is used au natural. My college dream was to charter a plane and dump a 1000 pounds of top shelf seeds all over our state so that it would be impossible to eradicate. It would wreak havoc on the eco system but free buds for all.

Anyone remember that character Jasper from City of Men? Got anything bad to say about him? Nuff said.

Do they test for alcohol consumption? No, because drinking is socially acceptable. If marijuana is legal, they would have no more reason to disqualify you for a position than if you drank a few scotch and sodas each evening.

Marijuana is broadly accepted here in Colorado. We have had legal weed for medical reasons sense 2000. People openly smoke weed in public here, position of marijuana 1oz or less has been decriminalized since 1975. More people voted to legalize weed here then President Obama.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Do they test for alcohol consumption? No, because drinking is socially acceptable.

Actually they do test for alcohol consumption.
I get tested about twice a month in the sites I visit, which works out to be about 60 percent of the different sites.
Because alcohol metabolizes so quickly, one can test for it and determine if the individual is, or is not under the influence.

Again, lets not have this turn into a cheering section for Marijuana. No one is naive enough to think that any intoxicant is without risk or danger.
Marijuana may have less debilitating effects than other intoxicants, but it has them none the less.

While medical marijuana has been shown to help certain individuals, some who use it "medically" are doing so for the intoxicating effect at least as much as for the benefit. If that were not true, then there would not be such resistance to the development currently ongoing for Marijuana with the benefits but not the THC.

Anectdotal "evidence" that people who use marijuana just chill out in a corner and get the munchies is just that - stories related by people.
Evidence suggests otherwise. A study in New Zealand clearly identified marijuana use as a factor in automobile injuries. Though the study did say that it involved persons who were "habitual users".
Recent studies have shown that inhalation of marijuana smoke is every bit as bad as cigarette smoking because, though marijuana smokers smoke less than tobacco smokers, they inhale deeper and hold the smoke in the lungs longer.

In short - There is no intoxicant that can be used risk free, and we certainly have a history of substance abuse in this country, from alcohol to mainlining heroin. I personally don't care whether your use of intoxicant is alcohol or marijuana, but at B&B we are currently guided by the laws of California, not Colorado or Washington. In California, except for the limited case of medical marijuana, the possession or use of marijuana is still illegal.

Yes, possession of a small quantity only results in a fine - but it's still illegal. If it wasn't illegal, then instead of the cops giving you a ticket, they'd be giving you a light.

It is also illegal Federally (something Colorado and Washington residents may want to remember before going to a Federal Park in their state).

So, for the last time, if you guys want to talk about the laws passed in Colorado or Washington, have at it. If you want to discuss the pros of recreational use of a product that is currently illegal, I'm afraid you'll have to go somewhere else.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
$deadline.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom