What's new

Margarito vs. Cotto

Did anyone catch this fight? Thoughts?

Cotto looked great through the first five rounds, but by the ninth round he was looking pretty busted up. I saw Maragrito's previous fight against a huge puncher in Kermit Cintron (on the undercard of Cotto's last fight) and after seeing those two performances I'm not sure what it's going to take to displace Maragrito from title holder. I didn't hear any mention of a mandatory rematch for Cotto, but even is there was a clause like that in the contract I can't imagine Cotto would exercise that option. I think a fighter might need a sledgehammer to hurt Margarito. And even after that he may still keep coming. There's already talk of Margarito being the last opponent for De la Hoya. If that happens Oscar better pack a lunch.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think Margarito may be the real deal, as Cotto is one tough cookie. Boxing needs more of this.

I think Margarito may be the real deal, as Cotto is one tough cookie. Boxing needs more of this.

I was really impressed by Margarito's presence in the corner between the late rounds. Even in the 9th and 10th he was sitting straight up, asking questions, and seemed completely aware of what was going on around him.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I recall the late, great Salvatore Sanchez, who was one of the best featherweights in history. It was said that he was one of the only fighters who could bring his heart rate down to its normal resting level during the 60 second break between rounds. Amazing!

I know this post is really old, but I just wanted to chime in...
Margarito has got to be the toughest boxer I've seen in a long time! In his last fight with Cintron, he walked through Cintron's bombs...LAUGHING AT HIM!!! And Cintron is known as one of the biggest puncher's in that weight class. His two-punch combination brutal knockout of Walter Matthysse comes to mind. Margarito was just plain scary in that fight.
In the Cotto fight, he was no less scary. Cotto did everything right...he boxed, he moved, he counterpunched, he mixed it up. He gave everything he had, and we all know how good Cotto is! But Margarito kept coming like a freight train!
The one thing I noticed is that because Margarito was constantly backing him up, Cotto was never able to get set. He was never able to anchor himself to throw big punches. He was always swiveling or more defensive in manner, which I can't blame him for when you've got someone like Margarito in front of you. The difference was this: Cotto is usually the bigger, stronger guy in the ring. He's able to assert himself against his opponent, even if that opponent is quicker(like Mosley). But this time around, Margarito was the bigger guy, and Cotto was wary of that. He was definitely cool and calm in there, but he was never able to build his confidence up and dominate with it.
Anyway, that's just my two cents!
Hope to see more threads in here discussing boxing! Its the ONLY sport I really love!!

Top Bottom