What's new

March Meerschaum Madness

I've been exclusive on my meers so far this month, and will carry on that way the rest of the month. I'll not lie tho, March does cause me to miss the feel of a solid briar in the hand, or a nice craggy sandblasted morta.

I've been exclusive on my meers so far this month, and will carry on that way the rest of the month. I'll not lie tho, March does cause me to miss the feel of a solid briar in the hand, or a nice craggy sandblasted morta.
I did that the last couple years, but this year i just decided to just throw the meers into my mix more regularly.

I'm gonna try to do the opposite. I'm going to smoke my Baki exclusively (when I'm not walking...that's too risky) and try to get it really darkened up this year.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have had had my one Meer for a couple of years now. Been picking it exclusively for MMM the last couple of years and here and there during the year. So, does giving it the 'wax bath' draw the nicotine out and darkens the pipe, or how does that actually work?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
15A37983-60E7-445B-A4A6-D8167EDAFAC0.jpeg
No name Meer with PS English Luxury

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@OkieStubble , I don’t know if applying beeswax “draws out” anything, but it may add a slight bit of color of its own and helps seal the porous meerschaum and helps protect it from other unwanted stains from general handling, but I could be wrong.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
As some may recall from last year, the above no-name meer had developed some hairline cracks. Well when I went to knock out the dottle, the shank broke clear through. I'll probably attempt a superglue repair. What was revealed with the broken shank, the draft hole had been drilled twice, with the "off course" drill path ending in a dead end. Seems that this pipe was doomed from the start, long before I took possession of it.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
As some may recall from last year, the above no-name meer had developed some hairline cracks. Well when I went to knock out the dottle, the shank broke clear through. I'll probably attempt a superglue repair. What was revealed with the broken shank, the draft hole had been drilled twice, with the "off course" drill path ending in a dead end. Seems that this pipe was doomed from the start, long before I took possession of it.
When you glue it back, you might put the second draft hole to use and insert a pin in there.

Just finished my first bowl in a while and enjoyed it so much I loaded up another pipe. This time h&h blackhouse in my imp. Been wanting to break out the meers but having been able to so far this month.

20190322_171532.jpg

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Some 5 yr old GL Pease Cumberland in my large Bekler CAO fancy egg.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had had my one Meer for a couple of years now. Been picking it exclusively for MMM the last couple of years and here and there during the year. So, does giving it the 'wax bath' draw the nicotine out and darkens the pipe, or how does that actually work?
Theoretically the wax helps the tar move through the meerschaum pores when it heats up. I don't know the science behind it, but I can tell you when I waxed my meer it got significantly darker.

Top Bottom