What's new

March 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I said I needed more practice with ASR types, so today I pulled out my favorite SE, my 1912 series Gem Junior. I loaded the GEM blade, sixth use. My hunch was correct, these types of razors need a loftier lather than I can use with my Tech. I used the RIGS Shim the whole shave, which gave me better results than my Monday shave with the Squathead. I kept correcting mistakes, mainly reverting to my Tech style of shaving. It took me a little longer than usual, but I got a DFS with minimal irritation and no weepers.

Day 29, still out.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Nivea Men Shaving Creme
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #8
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Proraso Balm

It got late again, so had a quick but effective DFS. Got a better lather out of the Nivea Creme this time.

Still in...
20230329_103755-01.jpeg

I'm catching up with my SOTD from Wednesday... another nightly shave.

Hang in there, Comrades, we are almost there... 👍

Cheers
Guido

Date30.03.2023
365 days of shaving89/365 (100%)
GRUYERE89/365 (100%)
GRUME March30/31 (100%)
03/12 (100%)
Soap of the Month Club(SOTMC)
30/31 (100%)
01/12

RazorBladeBrush
Green Cult 2.0 IIGillette 365 (10)
Omega Roma Capitolina
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Mike’s Barbershop
(3:here)
(2.5: here)
Cold splash
Floïd

Efficiency (scoring details here)Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)9/10 (tiny weeper)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
7.5/10 (harsher than yesterday)

Notes to today’s shave:

Only one more day and March is successfully completed. Three months in a row. I feel like a king! Hang in there everyone - w are almost there!

The G365 went into double digits today. The GC2 is just a dream to shave with.

A very nice shave with great results. Tomorrow is the last day for this blade in the Piccolo SE.

Further details to today’s shave can be found here.

Enjoy your shave!

Still in, 1 day of growth

March GRUME and all over Acronyms I signed up for this month : 18
2023 GRUYERE : 51

Razor : Merkur 34 HD C
Blade : Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Pre Shave : none
Soap (SOTM) : Palmolive classic
Brush : Semogue 1305
Aftershave: OSMA Alum Block, Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic AS balm

A tad of irritation again, I think the blade was not the greatest, should have tossed it yesterday mid-shave. Enjoyed the after shave balm as well as the cooling effect during the commute in the car.

See you all next month in a new thread, still trying to figure out what I will shave with. The Soap will must likely be my Toja stick, as for the rest ... hmmm no clue.

Still In GRUME, GRUYERE & 365 Shaves

PXL_20230330_035923932.jpg

EJ D89 with Q Shave blade, Semogue SOC and Muhle Sea Buckthorn puck (in owl cup)

I am proud to be a GRUMEer and GRUYEREer. It is a lot more enjoyable and meaningful than my rocky road "SAD" history. I suspect others in our midst have their own SAD stories, so I say cheers 🍻 to all of us. Let's finish the month strong!

This humble razor and combo performed elegantly. With the large wet boar brush, I had to use a lot of soap but at the finish it was a close DFS+ start to the day.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Still out 😇

Well... even though I have had no serious craving for months, I feel that some acquisitions are justified. Ignoring your genuine hearts desire borders on flagellation and cannot be considered a healthy attitude. I join GRUME to prevent me getting into a frenzy and buying anything that catches my eye, not to frustrate real passion.
Since I broke my GRUME for the rare opportunity to get a LeCoq Cage Head and there is a couple of days left in March, I mailed Darwin shaving in France and asked to be put on the waiting list for the true key to shaving Nirvana for lovers of assertive razors, the infamous Famex Cage Head.
As weird as it may seem: he had just acquired one and put it on sale. You can guess....I bought it.
I had some money coming in because I sold a highly demanded ticket to a match I cannot visit because of this annoying post covid.
Brethren: I present my latest love baby.

4F2782DF-7D99-48B4-9683-9BEDFF4055D7.jpeg

Last edited:
I understand. On the other hand: there ARE many fine razors. But there are not many rare razors you didn't expect to stuble upon. I am having a shave in a minute, by the way... with a Swing OC.
Now, this is sir…you are just…
A1658B2F-6621-4A70-B555-7C9A883AC24A.jpeg

Speaking of rare razors I like to have! I have seen some Gladweg razors too recently. They seem nice!

Enjoy and let us know!

Guido

Ps: you might wanna check the April thread :cuppa:

Last edited:
Day 31 and the final shave, and I made it! Finished with a magnificent shave: 3 passes for a very comfortable BBS! Great way to complete my fifth from seventh GRUME. :) Not signing up next month as I am having a blade reground, but I'll see you all in May. Stay strong brothers! :badger:

View attachment 1629407

View attachment 1629407
EJ D89 with Q Shave blade, Semogue SOC and Muhle Sea Buckthorn puck (in owl cup)

I am proud to be a GRUMEer and GRUYEREer. It is a lot more enjoyable and meaningful than my rocky road "SAD" history. I suspect others in our midst have their own SAD stories, so I say cheers 🍻 to all of us. Let's finish the month strong!

This humble razor and combo performed elegantly. With the large wet boar brush, I had to use a lot of soap but at the finish it was a close DFS+ start to the day.

Congrats. Love that owl mug.

Cont

Top Bottom