What's new

March 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Day 22, 71% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm, Hyaluronic Acid

Loaded a fresh Astra, and decided to use MWF this week. I'd forgotten to water it while it was out of action, and it had dried up a bit, but not cracked.

Had plenty of time, so got an excellent near-BBS.

Still in. I’m under a lot of time pressure and I will shave early tomorrow so I almost skipped today’s shave. Instead I decided to settle for a half passed shave; I still have tomorrow morning after all. After two passes and a wet touch up I had DFS+ results! And that was on shave number 245 on my Feather. It may have been half passed, but it wasn’t, well, you know…

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless
Ti95SCL
Gillette 365 (2)
DVH Synthetic
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashMike’s Barbershop
Proraso Green
Cold splash

Efficiency (scoring details here)Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in. Had some major issues to put at bay and surprisingly managed to do it too! Just 8 more days and I/we have managed to be a full quarter in restraint. Personally I hope this will serve as a tipping point for the other quarters and that it will become even easier over time.

Every Tuesday and Thursday is candy razor day as far as I am concerned. I get to use my most precious and most beautifully designed razor. I was really looking forward to this shave for quite a while, but other blade adventures kept the idea at bay. And I was not disappointed at all. A very smooth and comfortable BBS-ish result in three passes.

Further details to today's shave can be found here.

Enjoy your shave today!

Still In GRUME, GRUYERE and 365 Shaves

PXL_20230322_135909319.jpeg

Leaf "Twig" with half Q-Shave blade (made in USA) (2), Stirling Best Badger and Proraso white Super Formula

The Twig razor is the most nimble razor I own. The head is very small and light weight. It can shave in close quarters like no other DE razor can. The closest DE razor I own is the Gillette Old Type open comb- it also has a small light nimble head.
Today's shave was delightful. Small careful strokes with the Twig left me a DFS+ finish. I use our (now 15 years old) granddaughter's baby cup to pre-soak the brush.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Still in, 1 day of growth

March GRUME and all over Acronyms I signed up for this month : 14
2023 GRUYERE : 47

Razor : Merkur 34 HD C
Blade : Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Pre Shave : none
Soap (SOTM) : Palmolive classic
Brush : Semogue 1305
Aftershave: Dickinson witch hazel , Dove Men+Care Ultra-Hydra Cream

Well another week in and clearly this month is teaching me 2 thing ... don't put pressure on your skin you dumb and use the good stuff.

A bit too much pressure on the first pass in the neck area and a bit of post shave irritation to match. that being said no nick or cut that my tired eyes could see. As for the balm, well it does Wonderfull to hydrate my skin during the day and this is about all this is good for, not much of an after shave balm.

1 more week, 4 more shave to go this month.

So I have 0 idea where my styptic pencil is. I occasionally get a nick or weeper. Would getting one violate grume?

1.c. Members should have the necessary supplies to last the duration of the Restraint, but this is a Restraint, not a Sabbatical. If something breaks or runs out and you have no suitable or usable replacement, it can be replaced.

I would imagine that would extend to lost items... :p But you could also tough it out for a week and restock on the 1st...

Still in. 8 days to go and another GRUME will be complete.
Tonight’s shave:

Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
Razor: Rockwell 6C (5)
Blade: KCG (3)
Brush: FS 3-Band Silvertip Badger
Soap: Wickhams 1912 Citrus Musk

Post-Shave: Alum Block
Nivea 2-Phase ASL
Bart’s Ben Kilbreck ASB
Trumper GFT Cologne

1st time using a Wickhams soap in a while. A thumbs up from me. Lovely slick lather with plenty of glide and cushion. Made the Rockwell snd the KCG blade really perform. BBS result. Also reached for the Nivea 2-Phase as my Cool Water has now bitten the dust. Bart’s balms get a big 👍 from me. Finished off with GFT. Makes me feel that I am that guy 😎😎😎😎

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Still in/in still

Dovo Solingen SR
AOS Lavender
Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo
Lucky Tiger Tonic

=Meh

Followed up with Feather Artist Club SS Kamisori w/ Feather Professional
= DFS

And then said "what the heck" and dragged my tech around my mug for some clean up.
= BBS

Bottom line- I need to hone the straight and work on my technique.

Top Bottom