What's new

March 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Still in.

20230318_174106.jpg

Still in. My FFFMM continues, as does the learning.

In the past, I only used the Slim on 3. These days, I usually use my Rockwell 6S with the R4 plate, which has more blade feel. I've been using the Slim on 4, but I find that I'm missing the blade feel (and efficiency), so I set it at 5 today. In conjunction with the fact that I've figured out the lather, I managed a nice result with no blood and no irritation. Yay, me.

Onward!

(No-name Scottish deer-horn mystery badger brush loaded and ready to go, as my heffalump supervises.)

1679187598527.png

Day 18, 58.1% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Wizamet SI #4
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Got a fine bowl-lather from the SV, and plenty of time to use it. Had an excellent near-BBS shave.

Bought some proper hair-cutting scissors in Tk-Maxx (so far, so good), but I noticed they had a random selection of shaving stuff as well, including ProRaso balm and a Tabac stick.

I might still be tempted.

Last edited:
Date19.03.2023
365 days of shaving78/365 (100%)
GRUYERE78/365 (100%)
GRUME March19/31 (100%)
03/12 (100%)
Soap of the Month Club (SOTMC)
19/31 (100%)
01/12 (83%)

RazorBladeBrush
KCG head with Lasta handleDorco Titan (6?)
Omega Roma Capitolina
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashMike’s Barbershop
Proraso Green
Cold splash

Efficiency (scoring details here)Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)9/10 (One tiny weeper)
EffectivenessComfort
7/10 (DFS-)
9/10 (buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in.

My rotation schedule had my very first DE razor in store for me today. Being where I am on my journey this is the mildest razor I have by a stretch. I still like this razor and would never part with it.

Subsequent headshave using the same gear. Nice and smooth WTG one pass.

Further details can be found here.

Enjoy your shave today!

Still in (dodged the bullet fortunatelly)

Sunday started just fine, woke up, swirled my FFFMM Omega boar, 2pass with R89, achieved near BBS and went to buy some groceries for today.
On shelves... outrageous monster lurked... KCG for a 12$ on discount. Almost gave up on my GRUME and took it "just for spare" and went to cashier... surprise, surprise - 25$ 🤯
Returned it, went back to price-tags and imagine the bastards: they mixed entire higyene sector with various discounts and placed "wrong" price-tags (i.e. 5 price tags all with same namings "Gillette razor 1pcs + 5 blades" but under DE version, Mach3 handle version, balms, blades...) So glad that it turned out that way. For 25$ FOCS Gold is on the plate for sure, but KCG (designed in Boston USA, German head, Chinese handle...) no thanks. For 12$ - temptation was justified, like Piccolo but without shipping & handling, so... I went home thinking of my failed randevouz and GRUME game continued... just wonder - does this happens at your part of the 🌎🌍🌏?
Damn... suddenly, online shopping seems so transparent and error-proof.

Day 18, 58.1% complete.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cubebe
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Wizamet SI #4
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Got a fine bowl-lather from the SV, and plenty of time to use it. Had an excellent near-BBS shave.

Bought some proper hair-cutting scissors in Tk-Maxx (so far, so good), but I noticed they had a random selection of shaving stuff as well, including ProRaso balm and a Tabac stick.

I might still be tempted.
They should be still there for April 1 re-stock day. Was the Tabac at a brick and mortar store? I don't know if I could walk away from Tabac after finding it in the real world, lol you are made of sterner stuff!!

Shave #12
- Still In -

• Stirling's Sharp Dressed Man - SOTM
  • Morris & Forndran XL2 (Finest)
  • Mühle R89
  • Gillette KCG (2)
  • TI Sheffield - 6/8
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Speick Splash
Tremendously good shave with this kit today. I’ve been using the CH2 in Best all month. As much as I love what that brush brings to the experience, the XL2 is simply superb in every way. May just as well make this my Sunday and Events brush.
3B111493-4012-4D45-B138-75E29939801A.jpeg

Still in (dodged the bullet fortunatelly)

Sunday started just fine, woke up, swirled my FFFMM Omega boar, 2pass with R89, achieved near BBS and went to buy some groceries for today.
On shelves... outrageous monster lurked... KCG for a 12$ on discount. Almost gave up on my GRUME and took it "just for spare" and went to cashier... surprise, surprise - 25$ 🤯
Returned it, went back to price-tags and imagine the bastards: they mixed entire higyene sector with various discounts and placed "wrong" price-tags (i.e. 5 price tags all with same namings "Gillette razor 1pcs + 5 blades" but under DE version, Mach3 handle version, balms, blades...) So glad that it turned out that way. For 25$ FOCS Gold is on the plate for sure, but KCG (designed in Boston USA, German head, Chinese handle...) no thanks. For 12$ - temptation was justified, like Piccolo but without shipping & handling, so... I went home thinking of my failed randevouz and GRUME game continued... just wonder - does this happens at your part of the 🌎🌍🌏?
Damn... suddenly, online shopping seems so transparent and error-proof.
FWIW
The KCG is at best German inspired. It has been purported that this entire razor is a Gillette product made in China. Different baseplates and the number markings under the cap are prefixed “G”. Conversely, it is the Gillette Heritage which uses the Mühle R89 head and a US made handle.

Still in, 3 day of growth

March GRUME and all over Acronyms I signed up for this month : 11
2023 GRUYERE : 44

Razor : Merkur 34 HD C
Blade : Gillette Silver Blue (0)
Pre Shave : none
Soap (SOTM) : Palmolive classic
Brush : Semogue 1305
Aftershave: OSMA Alum Block , Tabac splash, Nivea Sensitive After Shave balm

Cold front in means dry skin for me and laziness means not taking care of it ... I always pay the price. had to add the Nivea Balm to ensure a comfortable ish after shave experience ... oh well that shave still beats must of the Jan and Feb shave if not all of them.

W12.jpg

Top Bottom