What's new

March 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

No shave today - Still in
72102D1E-44E5-4184-9340-2352DF03729C.jpeg

Hello friends!

Today is my birthday. To celebrate my 65 years of life, my dear wife told me last night that she would like to give me a shaving soap as a gift and asked me which one I would like.
I thought of replying: I'm in a restraint with my dear friends at GRUME, my love…but instead, I replied with enthusiasm: Martin de Candre Fougere!
Overhearing the conversation, our daughters (we have triplets) said they were thinking of sharing a gift for me, perhaps some fragrance or aftershave that I didn't have and would really like. Which? Brut Oceans, I replied...

The true is that I had not shaved for over twenty years, only trimming with an electric razor whenever my facial hair became unbearable and I went back to shaving less than a year ago. By all appearances, the girls at home are happy with my decision, therefore I can't let them down…

Well my friends, as of today I am out of March GRUME. I must confess that happiness for my birthday is mixed with sadness for leaving you. It's a bittersweet feeling...

I apologize my dear @FoolishMortal and all my friends for enabling.
I shall be back in two weeks with a lot of strength for restraint.
I will miss you all very much.

Be well and have great shaves.

Cheers!
❤️ 🪒
3AABD6C3-54B8-4755-BDD7-38B445436E1B.jpeg

18.03.2023 - Headshave

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW Long CombNacet (9)Simpson T3
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashMike’s Barbershop
Proraso Green
Cold splash

Efficiency (scoring details here)Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
5/10 (SAS)9/10 (buttery smooth)

Second DE headshave. Went WTG and a little bit ATG. SAS is a fine result for where I am at. Took it to CCS/DFS level with my Philishave.

Still in...

20230318_112151-01-01-01.jpeg

I started my weekend with a relaxed and effortless two pass shave. The Rocca delivered an almost BBS shave result, as it was to be expected. I plain and simple love these predictable shaves I always get with my slurping beauty 🤩... cruise control department.

I hope everyone is doing well... 😀
Enjoy your weekend!

Cheers
Guido

SOTD March 18th
GRUME-30/31er
Semogue Saturdays

Hello friends,

Today, Saturday dawned sunny. Under Brazilian law, you become an elderly person when you turn 65. You can use public transport without paying, park your car in special spaces for the elderly, etc... Today was also my first shave like an old man. To celebrate, I decided to do an old school shave.

Speick stick, Semogue 830, Merkur Progress (5/4/3), Astra SP (4), Rapozo (alum block) and Lilac Vegetal, also commonly known as cat pee, were phenomenal.

Accompanying me was good old Frank.

Have a nice day and great shaves!
❤️ 🪒

94DEE335-489D-461B-B6B6-08C9BB46715B.jpeg

1A7EBE2B-4368-4834-81CF-4F622821F4AD.jpeg

SV/Semogue Saturday
Still In GRUME, GRUYERE & 365 Shaves

View attachment 1622919
Timeless Ti .68 with Muhle Rasurkultur (18), SV Manna Di Sicilia and Semogue SOC

Again, another good quartet to start the weekend. I really like the light weight of the Timeless razor. It was a DFS+ way to start the weekend.

Here is some good music I listened to last night-
View attachment 1622929
Please take care of yourself and each other.
Splendid pic.
Wonderful music.
Congrats, John!

I'm out...

Alas, I succumbed to my baser instincts and ordered a new razor, brush and soap....

Worse still, the main driver of this transaction was simply a question of colour coordination.... I felt an overwhelming need to have a consistent shade of red across razor, soap and brush.

Petty I know but nonetheless... 🙂

I'm out...

Alas, I succumbed to my baser instincts and ordered a new razor, brush and soap....

Worse still, the main driver of this transaction was simply a question of colour coordination.... I felt an overwhelming need to have a consistent shade of red across razor, soap and brush.

I have to concede, with enough stuff color coordination comes pretty easily. Ask me how I know… :facep:

I'm out...

Pictures man, we need pictures! :incazzato What did you get?

And please stick around for a 30/31.

Cheers,

Guido

Still in, but I am cleaning a newly acquired Star 1902 Vintage Razor. As my documented exception for the yearly restraint (GRUYER), it is allowable under the GRUME rules. But I still feeling like I cheated, maybe (slightly, almost) subconsciously joining GRUYER so that I could buy something I don't need and still not fail GRUME. So, I have decided if I do end up later failing GRUYER (and that month in GRUME) then I will retroactively declare myself out of GRUME in March also. No double cheating!

Okay. That's. Done.

I'm psyched about this new razor! It is my first Lather Catcher, and it is in good structural shape. We'll see what polishing can do for it. It even has two of the old wedge blades which are almost sharp enough to shave with, I'll see if I can hone them into shape. I'll send pictures when I am finished. I really don't want anything else, but I keep tempting myself due to my CVBDD (Checking to Verify I got the Best Deal Disorder). So far I have, but I'm seeing some nice similar razors...

Pictures man, we need pictures! :incazzato What did you get?

And please stick around for a 30/31.

Cheers,

Guido
Pictures will be forthcoming - or at least I hope they will be asI am unsure if the vendor has actuallyreceivedmy order...

From Connaught Shaving I ordered an Edwin Jagger 3One6 with the red anodized handle and a Semogue Galahad boar brush with a red handle. All because they happen to match the shade of one of my favourite soaps - Proraso Red.

However, PayPal decided to review the transaction and only today released the payment and I have yet to receive confirmation from the vendor that they have received payment for the order.

Top Bottom