What's new

March 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in! Woo hoo we finished the month!
IMG_20230331_145912.jpg

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Another month finished. No shave today as of yet...

On a side note-
View attachment 1629778

Last shave of March for me

2023 GRUYERE #49 - Still in
March 2023 GRUME #23 - Still in
Vintage April, 2023

Date: 03.30.23
Days growth: 2

Head shaver

Razor: 1940's Gillette Tech razor
Blade: Feather (4)
Brush: Parker pure badger

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Dr. Bronner's eucalyptus on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: Proraso green
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements blue/white

Passes: 1

Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - Osage rub
6 - Balm: LEA 3in1

Time from shower on to dressed and ready: 39 min

NOTES: I needed a quick invigorating shave. One nice quick pass with all menthoaled products (eucalyptus kind of but not really). A DCS/DFS, very pleased. I'm usually a 3 or 4 day shaver but needed to shave today for important personal business.
Quality: 9.75/10
Comfort: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10

From America's mountain

View attachment 1629779

Had no idea you're a neighbor. Hope it's not as windy down there today as it is here.

Happy shaves all!!!

Day 31, still out.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Men Rock Black Pomegranate Shave Cream
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave

Loaded up a fresh Astra. I noticed this shaving cream going cheaply in Tk-Maxx, and bought it on impulse.

It performed about the same as the Nivea, and had a better post-shave. The scent is very mild and fleeting.

PS, congratulations to those who made it to the end.

I hope to see some of you over in the April GRUME.

Last edited:
Still in, at a friends house in the Valley. We have three events between yesterday and Sunday, and it wasn’t worth the 3 hour trip on bad roads to return home and back again twice. I usually shave with my Trac II when traveling, but this time I brought my Tech. I got a fairly fast and close shave this morning. One more shave tomorrow, I hope I have time for the Tech so I can launch Vintage April on the right foot (or cheek).

20230415_064730.jpg

2023 GRUYERE #49 - Still in
April 2023 GRUME #33 - Still in
Vintage April, 2023 #33

Date: 04.15.23
Days growth: 5

Head shaver

Razor: Gillette Fatboy
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum
Brush: Parker synthetic

Pre-shave: Hot shower using baby wash on face and head with facial scrubber.

Lather: Arko stick

Passes: 3

Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - original Clubman Pinaud
6 - Balm: LEA 3in1

NOTES: I tried to go old school as possible. It was a good BBS shave. Very relaxed and enjoyable. 1 blemish weeper and one good scrape with small cut.

Quality: 10/10
Comfort: 9/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Overall: 9.7/10

my long journey to find that best of best blade today was a eye opener
the Treet Dura Sharp beat out my #1 Nacet

6f4a5ae4-ba5a-4e81-9ee2-650c7b9be827-jpeg.1642472

a bit ago it had beat out my green 7 and said I had to come back later to compare it more
So kinda confirms todays thoughts but will need some more shaves of course !

Funny when something beats out something you thought was your top that kinda HUH what is happening how can this be its such a cheap blade ($6.99 at A jungle shop site) and treet have a odd/bad rep it seems

More thoughts on this here in my journal

my long journey to find that best of best blade today was a eye opener
the Treet Dura Sharp beat out my #1 Nacet

6f4a5ae4-ba5a-4e81-9ee2-650c7b9be827-jpeg.1642472

a bit ago it had beat out my green 7 and said I had to come back later to compare it more
So kinda confirms todays thoughts but will need some more shaves of course !

Funny when something beats out something you thought was your top that kinda HUH what is happening how can this be its such a cheap blade ($6.99 at A jungle shop site) and treet have a odd/bad rep it seems

More thoughts on this here in my journal
Well, that's helpful feedback - thanks. Like you, for me, the Nacet beats the 7 O'Clock Green, though they are very close. Because I'm not going to give Russia any of my money, once my stash of Nacets runs out, I'll be switching, and thought I might go with a different 7 O'Clock, from India. It looks like the Blue Dura Sharp are made in Pakistan, so they may be an option.

Well, that's helpful feedback - thanks. Like you, for me, the Nacet beats the 7 O'Clock Green, though they are very close. Because I'm not going to give Russia any of my money, once my stash of Nacets runs out, I'll be switching, and thought I might go with a different 7 O'Clock, from India. It looks like the Blue Dura Sharp are made in Pakistan, so they may be an option.
Glad it helped :)
Yeah the old YMMV of course :) but the green 7 and nacet are very very close and still coming to grips with how the Treet is better as they seem to kinda get a bad rap ?

My 2nd day comparing the treet once again beat the Nacet though ! Hmmmmm might have a new #1 blade for me

another upside to me is the Treet Dura Sharp are so so so cheap :)

I am using them in a Timeless Ti .68 so not sure if it was in a more aggressive razor ? Never had those blades when I had my Wolfman razors

Top Bottom