What's new

March 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in and I think it was the last shave of the month for me

2023-03-30 19.56.38.jpg

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Hey there my fellow G.R.U.M.E.ers. I am hoping someone might be willing to help me out with a trade/blade exchange.

I purchased a Micromatic 3 or so years ago and have never used it. I had enough to figure out. Just was going through some "old stuff" (literally and figuratively) and uncovered it. I had never bothered to purchase blades for it.

It's a little sad to own a razor and never have used it, particularly when taking part in restraints. Anyway, if someone can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. Just looking for a tuck or so. I primarily use Feather blades, but could offer up a mixed bag if those weren't of interest.

Please PM me if your interested.

Happy shaves!

Last edited:
Day 31 and the final shave, and I made it! Finished with a magnificent shave: 3 passes for a very comfortable BBS! Great way to complete my fifth from seventh GRUME. :) Not signing up next month as I am having a blade reground, but I'll see you all in May. Stay strong brothers! :badger:

You don't get dinged for expenditures for maintenance so that you can continue shave...

Your call. :)

My weekly early town day shave. Back to the Tech and Feather. I got the lather just right and none left over to squeeze out at the finish. I remembered today how I discovered super light pressure. I had a cut from a previous shave, and I was trying to be very careful by skimming over the top of it. I discovered I got a very close shave with that technique. A good rule of thumb for me to follow!

20230330_054800.jpg

Last shave of March for me

2023 GRUYERE #49 - Still in
March 2023 GRUME #23 - Still in
Vintage April, 2023

Date: 03.30.23
Days growth: 2

Head shaver

Razor: 1940's Gillette Tech razor
Blade: Feather (4)
Brush: Parker pure badger

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Dr. Bronner's eucalyptus on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: Proraso green
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements blue/white

Passes: 1

Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - Osage rub
6 - Balm: LEA 3in1

Time from shower on to dressed and ready: 39 min

NOTES: I needed a quick invigorating shave. One nice quick pass with all menthoaled products (eucalyptus kind of but not really). A DCS/DFS, very pleased. I'm usually a 3 or 4 day shaver but needed to shave today for important personal business.
Quality: 9.75/10
Comfort: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10

From America's mountain

20230330_070624.jpg

Attachments

• 20230330_054800.jpg
    20230330_054800.jpg
    906 KB · Views: 3
Date31.03.2023
365 days of shaving90/365 (100%)
GRUYERE90/365 (100%)
GRUME March31/31 (100%)
03/12 (100%)
Soap of the Month Club(SOTMC)
31/31 (100%)
01/12

Face
RazorBladeBrush
Fatip Piccolo SE
Gillette 365 (11)
DVH Synthetic
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Mike’s Barbershop
WXTG, XWTG, ATG
(here)
Cold splash
Floïd

Head
RazorBladeBrush
Fatip Piccolo SE
Gillette 365 (12)
DVH Synthetic
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Mike’s Barbershop
WTG, ATGCold splash
Floïd

Efficiency (scoring details here)Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (BBS)
8.5/10 (comfortable / smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Final shave for March. Another month completed in restraint. I have never been able to complete two GRUMEs in a row let alone three. I should celebrate with buying a couple of razors
:devil:
!

The shave was smooth and comfortable like any shave with my Piccolo
:001_wub:

Head shave felt nice too. The Piccolo is a great shave for my dome.

Further details can be found here.

The review for the month can be found here.

Enjoy your shave!

IMG_20230331_125930.jpg

Friday 31st - guess I'm done. Those items served me well in first successful GRUME ever. Also it's been challenging to pass FFFMM without giving a break, but it cost me 3 shaves skipped (otherwise I'd use synth brush).
So, what's the summary?
  • 5 permasharps ain't sharp no more
  • Cella not depleted yet, stands proud at 178 lathering and counting
  • Omega 10098 fully broken, makes me wonder why I bought synthetic brush at all. Love for boars is on the rise!
  • R89 - no praise needed, flawless 28 daily shaves, without a nick or weeper, feels bit powerful on RR HD handle, almost like "taller 3-piece Merkur 34C"
Stay well my friends and enjoy weekend!

Made it - DFS+
Merkur 34G, Kai (2), Proraso Cypress & Vetyver, Yaqi Obsidian 2Band, Pitralon Classic

This month went like a breeze and in excellent company. As said I will skip April for a Birthday order and will be back in May. We have Vintage as well as Adjustable April running so have a look and join when your kit is right.

4985AFB8-B8DB-4EAB-86CF-67D9E58E3B84.jpeg

EAC6B978-B3AD-456A-9206-0063B29C23A7.jpeg

Fatip Friday!

PXL_20230330_232844914.jpg

Fatip Lo Storto Grande Gentile slant with Q Shave blade, D.R. Harris Naturals and RR Big Bruce

It has been a good B&B month for me...Still In GRUME, GRUYERE and 365 Shaves.
I want to thank Brandon, @FoolishMortal, Stan, @KQY61 and @Leverspro for sponsoring my monthly threads. 🍻🍻🍻
Thanks to the rest of the guys for your participation and for making B&B a very very special place! 🍻

When I returned to B&B last year, Guido, @Guido75 was the first person to help me identify the razor I am using today. In honor of his friendly, funny and gregarious personality, I am participating in Fatip Friday (started by David, @never-stop-learning).

Tomorrow, (April Fools Day) is also Semogue Saturdays! , the start of April GRUME and Vintage April.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom