What's new

March 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I know this is comparing apples to oranges but I had a beard balm that had granules of beeswax in it. It felt very grainy/sandy. You had to rub it a lot in your hands to get it to heat up and melt. It also didn’t absorb and left a layer of ‘skin.’ Hence my dislike and eventual binning of an almost full tin.

If you rub the Seville in your hands and heat it do the grains disappear? Chances are you’re right and it’s just old or a bad batch.

I’ll try it in the morning and see if that works.

I also have the Le Grand Chypre balm from B&M and it works great so I’m almost positive there is something wrong with this balm. I messaged Will at B&M to see what he says about it.

Still in

Headshave today

Razorock SLOC
Polsilver (4)
Yaqi High Mountain Badger 24mm
RR Irish Countryside Soap & Aftershave
Nivea Protect & Care Balm

IMG-2149.jpg

Still in.

I was feeling a bit down this week and couldn't go out for the errands, even though I have plenty to do.

Today the mood cleared up, and I enjoyed today's evening shave.

RazoRock Game Changer OC 84
RazoRock Beehive
RazoRock Puros
Laser Ultra
Anherb ASC

I tested a sample of Shaver Heaven Oatmeal Stout sample, and boy did it stink or what !?
I realised for the 1st time that shaving soaps can assault my nose as well.

I used to think that since I didn't had any problems with the Arko (actually enjoyed it's smell), Williams, Tabac (love it), Vitos (like it) etc, I was immune to such assaults.

I stand corrected, but not defeated.

I'll use it again tomorrow and will try to obtain better lather with it.

IMG_20210304_211052.jpg

FFFMM SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S (4)
  • Nacet (3)
  • WSP Formula T Tobacco
  • SOC Taj Boar
  • WH w/menthol, LTFT
  • Stirling Spice ASB
  • Vintage Osage Rub AS
A quick single-pass WTG shave today. Thanks to the efficiency of the Rockwell, that means SAS+ for me.

Then I went and got my first COVID vaccine shot (of two). That was two hours ago and I still feel fine. I haven't turned into a frog, lost my testes or developed superpowers (dang). Just a mild metallic taste in the back of my throat...like what I experienced with chemo, to a lesser degree.

Onward!

I know this is comparing apples to oranges but I had a beard balm that had granules of beeswax in it. It felt very grainy/sandy. You had to rub it a lot in your hands to get it to heat up and melt. It also didn’t absorb and left a layer of ‘skin.’ Hence my dislike and eventual binning of an almost full tin.

If you rub the Seville in your hands and heat it do the grains disappear? Chances are you’re right and it’s just old or a bad batch.

So Will at B&M got back to me about the balm. He said it hasn’t gone bad, they had a batch that went in the production process a little longer then normal that they didn’t realize until after all the product was jarred. So the balm contains less water then they normally do. He said I could apply it to a damp face or with water in the palms of my hand. As he stated that can be off putting, he is sending me a replacement. Glad he is replacing it 👍

Sometimes my wife proves to me she still kind of likes me and just doesn’t tolerate me from habit.

A couple of weeks ago she hung out with me while I shaved and dug out all my aftershaves and critiqued every scent. This all surprised me because she laughed at me when I told her I was in an annual purchasing sabbatical back in January. She said I wouldn’t last two weeks when I explained the rules. I didn’t understand her sudden interest.

Long story longer. She really likes PAA Diver Down. I explained the history of Seaforth! and mentioned Spearhead shaving makes a reproduction of Spiced and Heather but I’d never tried their Spiced.

Turns out she was doing recon for a neighbor. I gave him 8 old oak trees I had to cut down. I helped him cut them up and split them for firewood. We finished the project a few weeks ago and he wanted to get me a thank you gift. This is the result. Since I joined restraints and the sabbatical I haven’t been to Spearhead Shaving’s webpage. I didn’t even know they made an EDC. Especially funny because my wife says she doesn’t like Heather.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Sometimes my wife proves to me she still kind of likes me and just doesn’t tolerate me from habit.

A couple of weeks ago she hung out with me while I shaved and dug out all my aftershaves and critiqued every scent. This all surprised me because she laughed at me when I told her I was in an annual purchasing sabbatical back in January. She said I wouldn’t last two weeks.

Long story longer. She really likes PAA Diver Down. I explained the history of Seaforth! and mentioned Spearhead shaving makes a reproduction of Spiced and Heather but I’d never tried their Spiced.

Turns out she was doing recon for a neighbor. I gave him 8 old oak trees i had to cut down. I helped him cut them up and split them for firewood. We finished the project a few weeks ago and he wanted to get me a thank you gift. This is the result. Since I joined restraints and the sabbatical I haven’t been to Spearhead Shaving’s webpage. I didn’t even know they made an EDC. Especially funny because my wife says she doesn’t like Heather.

proxy.php
Aw, that's really nice. Good on your neighbor AND your wife!

I appreciate the honesty of a business when they just admit they screwed something up and make it right. Everybody messes up sometimes.

I appreciate it too. He could have just said to make sure my face was damp and leave it at that but he stepped up and said he’d replace it. B&M was one of my favourite brands and this has moved them up a notch or two for sure

And that is awesome if your neighbour and wife to surprise you with that thoughtful gift 👍

Shave number 2 in the books for my new Proraso Pro boar brush. I remembered I had a nice vintage Old Spice shaving mug. Let's beat these stiff new bristles against the walls and ridges of the shaving mug instead of my face. That made all the difference. Much nicer painting my face with lather.

The soap scent was better. Still not one I'll be reordering, but a splash of Clubman helped balance out the aroma.

Top Bottom