What's new

March 2021 Acquisitions!!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Three tins of MB Latakia Rolls arrived, safely. With a 100 bag of BJ Long cleaners to protect them from the USPS gorillas.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
View attachment View attachment
B351905B-9861-497F-92E5-395A0167B684.jpeg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I got a very nice surprise from @Mike H today! Two Bernard's snuff tap boxes, two pipe tobacco samples of what I believe are whole leaf blends of his own creation as well as some of his own Rustica/dark fired snuff.

BTW Mike, your snuff is outstanding! It has a very pleasing smoky flavor and the vitamin N is certainly not wanting. Thank you so much!
20210319_214641.jpg

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I got a very nice surprise from @Mike H today! Two Bernard's snuff tap boxes, two pipe tobacco samples of what I believe are whole leaf blends of his own creation as well as some of his own Rustica/dark fired snuff.

BTW Mike, your snuff is outstanding! It has a very pleasing smoky flavor and the vitamin N is certainly not wanting. Thank you so much!
View attachment 1239039
Awesome! The Red Lemon is a broken flake of Whole Leaf mature red, and bright leaf flue cured tobacco, pressed and sliced. The Navy Red is the same mature red Virginia, added rum and rolled into a twist. Aged for a month then sliced into coins. Let me know what you think.
The schmalzers make my nose run too much.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Awesome! The Red Lemon is a broken flake of Whole Leaf mature red, and bright leaf flue cured tobacco, pressed and sliced. The Navy Red is the same mature red Virginia, added rum and rolled into a twist. Aged for a month then sliced into coins. Let me know what you think.
The schmalzers make my nose run too much.
I'll let you know how I enjoy those blends, I'm excited to try them.

I'm familiar with the Bernard's schmalzlers and enjoy them, although they do tend to drip. They will certainly get used!

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I had a fruitful St. Patrick's Day. Between Smoking Pipes and Tobacco Pipes, I ordered five new Petersons and eight tins of tobacco. All of it was supposed to arrive today, but the TP order is delayed a day or two. A little disappointing, but it's ok, because the SP order was the bigger of the two, and that came.

IMG_20210322_114657133.jpg

I didn't really order the St. Patrick's Day Reserve; that was just part of their promotion. Buy a Pete, get a tin. Damn right I'm going to take free tobacco.

The "My Own Blend" straight billiard, possibly a Stanwell, arrived this morning from Blue Room Briars, along with a packet of their pipe cleaners. I'll have pics later. But in with the disassembled pipe is a note, "We strongly recommend allowing your pipe to acclimate to room temperature conditions before assembly." Do they think I'll be standing outside in a cold gale trying to assemble stem to shank?

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I had a fruitful St. Patrick's Day. Between Smoking Pipes and Tobacco Pipes, I ordered five new Petersons and eight tins of tobacco. All of it was supposed to arrive today, but the TP order is delayed a day or two. A little disappointing, but it's ok, because the SP order was the bigger of the two, and that came.

View attachment 1240286

I didn't really order the St. Patrick's Day Reserve; that was just part of their promotion. Buy a Pete, get a tin. Damn right I'm going to take free tobacco.

That's what I would call a Bonanza.

Pics of the new to me Blue Room Briars Stanwell (?) billiard:

IMG_20210322_163527_1CS.jpg IMG_20210322_163826_1CS.jpg IMG_20210322_163401_1CS.jpg

I swear this pipe looks almost brand new! Blue Room included a velvet pouch for it and a packet of their pipe cleaners, too.

The only thing that concerns me a tiny bit is this. The stem's tenon is not as tight-fitting as I'm used to in my pipes. It slides in easily, and it stays in place -- I'm not too worried that it'll fall out or anything. Is this something that will work itself out, i.e., will it fit more tightly while I'm smoking it? Or is there anything I can or should do to make it fit a bit more snugly? If it were too tight, I could sand the tenon a bit -- but this is the opposite.

I'm thinking a good tobacco would be the Sutliff Match Field & Stream.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

View attachment 1240414 View attachment 1240415 View attachment 1240416

I swear this pipe looks almost brand new! Blue Room included a velvet pouch for it and a packet of their pipe cleaners, too.

The only thing that concerns me a tiny bit is this. The stem's tenon is not as tight-fitting as I'm used to in my pipes. It slides in easily, and it stays in place -- I'm not too worried that it'll fall out or anything. Is this something that will work itself out, i.e., will it fit more tightly while I'm smoking it? Or is there anything I can or should do to make it fit a bit more snugly? If it were too tight, I could sand the tenon a bit -- but this is the opposite.

It may be very dry. Smoke it a bit. Regular smoking should swell up that joint a little. Often, enough.

But if that does not tighten it up, apply a little beeswax to the stem end.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
The yellow beeswax that WM sells? (My parents always told me that various things were "none of my beeswax," so I never had any!)

As long as it is pure beeswax, you are good to go. Avoid 'formulations' and other mixtures with beeswax as merely an ingredient. The other elements may not be so good for a tobacco pipe.

Pure beeswax is hard and crusty, like a 300 year old cheese. You normally have to heat it to work it.

I've heard back from Scott at Blue Room Briars about the stem issue with my Stanwell billiard. He writes, "Please run a few bowls of tobacco through the pipe. Smoke as you normally would (including a quick pass of a pipe cleaner after each session). For the first half dozen or so, do NOT remove the stem from the pipe and if possible, try to avoid turning it in the stummel as well. With the slow and repeated heating of each session, we are very confident the pipe will realign as it should and everything will be fine. We would also recommend to be sure and not store the pipe in a particularly cool place between sessions. Room temperature should do the trick without any problems."

This sounds sensible, no?

View attachment 1240414 View attachment 1240415 View attachment 1240416

A lot of times stems can get loose after it hasn't been smoked in a while. Just smoke it. It will get tighter. Have had it happen to a good number of older pipes.

Top Bottom