What's new

March 2021 Acquisitions!!

Didn't see a March edition, so I thought I would kick it off:
20210302_172143.jpg

My first pipe related purchased on a little over a year.
*Not pictured- 4oz PS Luxury Twist Flake which I've jarred (and tried!) before taking the photo

Last edited:

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
I was always curious about the Old Dominion Cobs but never purchased one. I wonder if they will continue production with the same design? I'd eventually like to grab a few...not sure how they would clench.
I've been interested in OD cobs, but I'm a brand loyal guy, so I've never bought anything but MM. But now they're fair game. I have a couple of OD clays that I like.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
VERY quick delivery arrived today. Only ordered them yesterday.

Spare Falcon Extra Curved stem in case of loss or damage to the other.

IMG_20210313_143126.jpg

A second Nording stem to convert my Compass into a churchwarden

IMG_20210313_143201_edit.jpg

IMG_20210313_143231_edit.jpg

Several ancillary items. I've used the stem polish already, and it made a good job of cleaning up my Ben Wade Banjo

IMG_20210313_143028.jpg

I was always curious about the Old Dominion Cobs but never purchased one. I wonder if they will continue production with the same design? I'd eventually like to grab a few...not sure how they would clench.
They clench...ok. The reed is surprisingly comfortable to clench. Soft but firm with decent feedback. But my Virginia Planter carries each and every bit of weight all the way forward so it feels a little heavier in the jaw. The wooden shanks of MM make a much more enjoyable clencher as it spreads the weight closer to the bit.

What you're trading in clenchability you gain in hand feel. Seriously, my VA Planter feels better than any other pipe I have (not that it's a lot of pipes) when I curl my fingers around the bowl. The feel and width are very satisfying.

If you enjoy cobs, history, or the old time construction of things, you owe it to yourself to pick one up. It smokes every bit as well as a MM with half the components. Not to mention the owners were stand-up people and good corporate citizens in their little corner of Virginia's Eastern Shore, the kind of people you feel good supporting.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
They clench...ok. The reed is surprisingly comfortable to clench. Soft but firm with decent feedback. But my Virginia Planter carries each and every bit of weight all the way forward so it feels a little heavier in the jaw. The wooden shanks of MM make a much more enjoyable clencher as it spreads the weight closer to the bit.

What you're trading in clenchability you gain in hand feel. Seriously, my VA Planter feels better than any other pipe I have (not that it's a lot of pipes) when I curl my fingers around the bowl. The feel and width are very satisfying.

If you enjoy cobs, history, or the old time construction of things, you owe it to yourself to pick one up. It smokes every bit as well as a MM with half the components. Not to mention the owners were stand-up people and good corporate citizens in their little corner of Virginia's Eastern Shore, the kind of people you feel good supporting.
Thanks for the rundown Rookie. I'm convinced that I need to take the plunge on one now.

Top Bottom