What's new

March 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.
However, I am mulling over dropping out of FFFMM. The reason is simple: I'm trying to tame my Karve plate E and not getting anywhere. One month should be enough. EJ89 gave me much better results. Deep down I wonder if these expensive tools are no more than a hype.

The Karve never worked for me, no matter the plate (I have all CC plates from A to E). That said, could it just be that the plate E is too aggressive?

Not all modern razors are just hype, however, it can be very expensive finding the one that suits you. Also, the highly popular "beginner" razors such as the DE89, the 34c or the Tech stood the test of time and can be all you ever need. I have an expensive razor that suits me better than my 34c, but I could live happily owning only the latter.

The Karve never worked for me, no matter the plate (I have all CC plates from A to E). That said, could it just be that the plate E is too aggressive?

Not all modern razors are just hype, however, it can be very expensive finding the one that suits you. Also, the highly popular "beginner" razors such as the DE89, the 34c or the Tech stood the test of time and can be all you ever need. I have an expensive razor that suits me better than my 34c, but I could live happily owning only the latter.
You have summed up my thoughts exactly. 89 model stood both the test of time, and - more importantly - it works for me.
Plate E is definitely too aggressive but I won't be spending time on trying plates and models. My shaving time is my fifteen minutes of calm. Off to BST stainless Karve with two plates goes.

Unfortunately, I am out of this month. I usually don't follow through with brush purchases but I could not pass on this beautiful looking brush. Took a while to press that button but I did it in the end. I will be in next month so still continuing on the spirit of GRUME!

Craving Shaving Gaia w/ 26mm Crave knot

1st PIC.PNG

You have summed up my thoughts exactly. 89 model stood both the test of time, and - more importantly - it works for me.
Plate E is definitely too aggressive but I won't be spending time on trying plates and models. My shaving time is my fifteen minutes of calm. Off to BST stainless Karve with two plates goes.
You could try trading the E plate for a D (or C) plate and be out just the cost of shipping while helping yourself and someone else dial in a razor for your personal preference. :)

Unfortunately, I am out of this month. I usually don't follow through with brush purchases but I could not pass on this beautiful looking brush. Took a while to press that button but I did it in the end. I will be in next month so still continuing on the spirit of GRUME!

Craving Shaving Gaia w/ 26mm Crave knot

View attachment 1071637
Sorry to see you go. You've done a number of GRUMEs and so I'm sure that you'll be back in good time. As usual, feel free to continue to play along at home, and we'll see you in April.

And when a brother falls out, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) @Schnitzel52
3) @RTM
4) @GaryTha
5) Timeclo - out (Craving Shaving brush)
6) @tim33z
7) @Malort
8) @BigD
9) @fhalden
10) @02flhtci
11) @Sotiris_A
12) @NicksDad
13) @cryhavoc
13.5) @WetShaveVet
14) @samhain666
15) @Rontu
16) Fred D - out (100 Gillette Platinums)
17) @Stuart Ganis

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I should have formally joined. I'm in the 2020, the Leap Year and the Decade of the 20's sabbaticals and Restraints so could have done this one too. I'll keep my eye out for April's and join up.

Good luck to all in this one.

I should have formally joined. I'm in the 2020, the Leap Year and the Decade of the 20's sabbaticals and Restraints so could have done this one too. I'll keep my eye out for April's and join up.

Good luck to all in this one.
We’ll be happy to see you next month!

You could try trading the E plate for a D (or C) plate and be out just the cost of shipping while helping yourself and someone else dial in a razor for your personal preference. :)
True. I shouldn't give up easily. Karve is a beautiful, well made razor.
Will there be anyone willing? Trading two plates: mint condition OC-C and CC-E stainless Karve for one - CC-A or B or C. International shipping.
Fellow GRUMErs will have the first pick before I go to BST - it's only fair.

FFFMM SOTD

• Rubberset 203, reknotted to 28mm boar
  • Cella
  • 1937 Sheraton
  • Nacet (33)
I'm being tempted by the Fatip Piccolo. I really like my Old Type head, but it doesn't have a handle and I'm always trying to figure out the best match. If I got a Piccolo, I'd have a "complete" razor in that style.

I've heard such good things about how smooth the Piccolo is that I've been looking for a trade. One gent had a Retro for sale and I asked about a trade, but haven't heard back (and, by now, I don't expect to).

But if I can't make that happen, I still have a "working collection" that will satisfy me for a long time to come. It's not worth dropping out of the GRUME, just to get a commonly-available razor that may or may not be better than what I already have.

Top Bottom