What's new

March 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

This restraint is for March 1-31, 2020.

If you're seeing this late and you've made no purchases in March, feel free to jump in.

Have what you need and use what you have: that is our definition of "Restraint". The idea is to use, learn about and enjoy what you have, restraining yourself from making frivolous purchases. Ready to turn over a new leaf?

This monthly restraint is perfect for those who have failed the yearly or quarterly sabbatical and want to curb their ADs. Keep fighting the urges! If you fail out of the GRUME, please tell the group, take your lumps and continue to play along at home.

There will be roll calls during the restraint. Check-ins, especially with SOTD info and pics, are encouraged and mutual support is appreciated. :)

All are welcome!

Rules:

1.a. If you were in the February GRUME, 3/1 is your restock date for any needed product.
1.b. If you were not in the February GRUME, you do not get a restock date in March; see 1.c., below.
1.c. Members should have the necessary supplies to last the duration of the Restraint, but this is a Restraint, not a Sabbatical. If something breaks or runs out and you have no suitable or usable replacement, it can be replaced.
2. No personal shaving purchases in March. Members may purchase shaving related items for others to encourage the hobby/lifestyle (PIF or Gifting). Members are not allowed to request any form of compensation in return. Please use your best judgement. Also, no sampling/testing of those gift items.
3.a. GIFT cards (including eBay bucks, Amazon gift cards, credit card reward points, etc) cannot be redeemed for shaving items, even if the cards were purchased and/or received in previous months.
3.b. The Birthday Rule: Members are not allowed to ask (or even hint) for shaving gear as gifts for any occasion.
4. Any shaving services, like replating or restorations, cannot be arranged or paid for in the month of the restraint.
5. Feel free to engage in trades (especially with each other), but don't enter any PIFs.
6. If you have to ask, it probably will put you out. That said, this is a Gentlemanly Restraint - use your own best judgement to self-assess based on the rules above.

Exceptions:
1. Members may participate in B&B Group Buys or B&B branded shaving item purchases, because these may be limited items and all support this common ground. They must be advertised on behalf of B&B to qualify. In an effort to stay true to restraints commitments, please limit B&B purchases to one (1) shaving item per month, including contributions to B&B! (All Non-Shaving B&B items are fair game.)
2. During the season, Sue Moore Items are all exempt from the-no buying rules. Treewhaling on anything Sue Moore-related is encouraged.
3. Members who are in a Quarterly or Yearly sabbatical are allowed to exercise their documented exceptions for those events without failing the monthly restraint.

Mods:
Please leave this thread in the General Shaving Discussion forum until March 5th so we can get as many as possible to see the GRUME. Afterwards, feel free to move the thread to Brotherhoods and Clubs. Thanks!

Tips:
Check out this Wiki article for tips on how to survive a Restraint (or GRUME). It includes a comprehensive checklist to help you figure out whether you've got everything you need for the month.
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Help:...ve_a_Restraint

How to Join:
Copy the entire list below and add your number and name to the bottom. Also, you are welcome to update your signature to show you are in the restraint; for example, "GRUME - February 2020 #1". To do so, click Settings at the top of the forum and then click Edit Signature on the left.

1) FoolishMortal
2)
3)

Good luck, all, and have fun!

1) Foolish Mortal
2) Schnitzel52
3) RTM
4) GaryTha
5) Timeclo
6) Tim33z

Let's put the Feb Fail behind and move onwards and upwards...

So in. Just checked to make sure I was not in any bids or pre-orders. Here's a question. Say my wife goes out and buys me something? Am I still in, even though she's using my money?

So in. Just checked to make sure I was not in any bids or pre-orders. Here's a question. Say my wife goes out and buys me something? Am I still in, even though she's using my money?
If she's buying a gift with no hints from you, I think it's fair dinkum. Yes, it's shared funding, but as they say, "it's the thought that counts." :)

However, if you want to be extra-safe, you can ask her not to buy anything for you. That's what I've done, just so I don't get even more soap build-up.

In the end, this is a gentlemanly restraint. If you feel that the rules were violated, you can remove yourself. If you can say, with a straight face, that everything is as it should be, we'll likely take your word for it.

@FoolishMortal
Roger. Not saying she would buy me something or not. She just buys stuff and who knows what she is buying? I don't even think she knows what she's buying. She just likes buying.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Schnitzel52
3) RTM
4) GaryTha
5) Timeclo
6) Tim33z
7) Malört
8) BigD
9) fhalden

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1) FoolishMortal
2) Schnitzel52
3) RTM
4) GaryTha
5) Timeclo
6) Tim33z
7) Malört
8) BigD
9) fhalden
10) 02flhtci

Ready for March!

I'm in.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Schnitzel52
3) RTM
4) GaryTha
5) Timeclo
6) Tim33z
7) Malört
8) BigD
9) fhalden
10) 02flhtci
11) Sotiris_A

Last year I took up FFFMM and enjoyed it very much. Needless to say I am in this year. I am going to tame CC plate E stainless Karve paired with fairly mild German Croma Diamant blade. Staying with Núavia Rosso soap as I find it simply perfect for me.
I decided that if by the end of March I won't be in full control of the razor - off to BST it goes, and I'll be back with my trusty EJ89.
And of course no shaving related purchases for March. Sorry, artisans.

May as well. FFFMM is already restricting me, and I should be spending money on my wife’s upcoming birthday anyway.

1) FoolishMortal
2) Schnitzel52
3) RTM
4) GaryTha
5) Timeclo
6) Tim33z
7) Malört
8) BigD
9) fhalden
10) 02flhtci
11) Sotiris_A
12) NicksDad