What's new

¨Marcas Regs¨

I picked up a Gillette Tech razor over the weekend. (Number 1 in the picture here.) The date code on it is L4, which would be either 1941 or 1966 -- probably 1966, but I honestly can´t tell.

Also on the back, in the bottom right hand corner, are the words Marcas Regs. Does anyone know what that means?

BTW I thought that the Tech shaved ok. I prefer something with more heft, but it did the job.

OMG! The Fabeled "Marcas Regs" Razor does exist! I thought it only a legend.

Well I don't have a deffinate answer for you but I do know that on some of the older tehcs from the 30's and 40's they would stamp advertising on them and be given away as promotional items. One example is it would say Ivory Soap under the guard. The razor was given free in a box of soap similar to what is done with cerial now.

As far as Marcas Regs, I don't know anything specific but the spanish language would be a good guess but AFAIK Gillette was only made in US, Canada, England and Germany. However they are know the world over so that would not be out of the question for Spanish to be stamped as well.

I've come across several DE's with "Marcas Regs" stamped on the underside of the head -- all of these have been late model Tech's. I've always wondered about this marking too!

mparker762 said:
Registered trademark, in spanish?

Correct. Short for Marcas Registradas. Even if the razor was made in the US or Canada, I can see where they would use the Spanish nomenclature (along with English) with the idea that these would also be selling in South America.

zachster said:
Correct. Short for Marcas Registradas. Even if the razor was made in the US or Canada, I can see where they would use the Spanish nomenclature (along with English) with the idea that these would also be selling in South America.
Absolutely correct; Marcas Registradas or "Marcas Regs" for short means "registered trademark." I always thought it was latin.

Cliff

Gatorade said:
OMG! The Fabeled "Marcas Regs" Razor does exist! I thought it only a legend.

LOL! Yep, the legendary Marcas Regs razor! Waldo Flea Market booth 53, right next to the Inca gold, which I also picked up real cheap...

GoTeeGuy said:
I've come across several DE's with "Marcas Regs" stamped on the underside of the head -- all of these have been late model Tech's. I've always wondered about this marking too!

I guess that solves the other mystery, too -- the date of this razor. That seems to confirm that it´s the 1966 Tech, and not the 1941 Tech.

Thanks, y´all.

Top Bottom