What's new

Marbles?

C60144D8-36A0-42D5-9FDA-BA92A0282165.jpeg

the brown is a clay one found in the soil beneath an excavated basement foundation.
3BEAA9B8-325F-4EC1-A308-E0B28B304D6B.jpeg
547C4989-C36E-47EB-81FB-19DBAF700135.jpeg

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Mike:
proxy.php
Never played marbels as a kid...but did collect some of the 'striking' ones. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"[Marbles] is game which requires both luck and skill. Luck keeps the game interesting, but skillful play will always be rewarded". Paul Magriel

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I think I picked up a bag of marbles at the Dollar Store a few years ago to use in slingshot until my ball bearings got in. Used to play all the time at recess in grade school, along with mumbley peg. But that was when every kid at school had a pocket knife. Now days a knife would not only get you suspended from school, you would go to juvenile hall. Things have changed.

I'll check my slingshot box to see if they are in there.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I think I picked up a bag of marbles at the Dollar Store a few years ago to use in slingshot until my ball bearings got in. Used to play all the time at recess in grade school, along with mumbley peg. But that was when every kid at school had a pocket knife. Now days a knife would not only get you suspended from school, you would go to juvenile hall. Things have changed.

I'll check my slingshot box to see if they are in there.
simon:
+1...;

proxy.php
"[Playing marbles] a day keeps the doldrums away". Phyllis McGinley

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Marbles were one of the things that seemed to come into popularity for a couple of months every year while I was at primary school. Then, just as quickly, everybody would lose interest and go to the next fad.

"Put the marbles away! It's yoyo season!"
David:
+1...;

proxy.php
"The only way I get through each day of the week is by playing yo-yo"! Author Unknown

Marbles, yo-yos, and spinning tops. We would duel with any of them.

Glass marbles only, cats eyes and milkies. We did not allow steelies. Either the circle game or elaborate golf courses we dug behind the monkey bars.

Personal favorite: Just throwing a rubber ball against the wall and catching it with my fielders mitt. Baby boom, so imagine a couple dozen kids using about 25' x 25' of blank brick wall at the same time. Glorious chaos. (Superballs were banned by the authorities about day 2 after they came to the five and dimes.)

My sole fancy marble:
IMG_5753.jpeg
IMG_5750.jpeg
IMG_5751.jpeg

Top Bottom