What's new

Marble Tile For Touchups?

Marble and Granite have proven, to me anyway, to be useless as any type of hone I want to use on my gear. Norton had a granite barber hone back in the 50s, totally pointless invention IMO. With those rocks, I see burnishing only, which can be done on leather, and zero 'sharpening' in the conventional sense. Yard slates do better IMO. Well, sometimes they do - some slates just wreck edges.
This thread has had the unintentional effect of bringing back to mind the Apache Black Gila stones. I know that these aren’t available now. I don’t remember what those stones were composed of...
Didn’t you say that as far as you could tell it reminded you have some type of Jasper?

Last edited:
I have not tried marble, but I used to finish my blades on Agate. Some worked better than my Shapton 16K. Jade was not quite as good. I also tried a lot of random stones, but in the end I lost interest. Now I finish on a Gokumyo 20K. I can't say it works better, but it is predictable.

I have not tried marble, but I used to finish my blades on Agate. Some worked better than my Shapton 16K. Jade was not quite as good. I also tried a lot of random stones, but in the end I lost interest. Now I finish on a Gokumyo 20K. I can't say it works better, but it is predictable.
I’ve been curious about Agate as well but I had been finishing on the T.I. paste followed by CrOx applied to balsa for the most part. Sometimes it’s a bit more time-effective to go with synthetic options...

Granite or marble would probably be okay in a pinch to use as a strop if you didn't have any leather available or any kind of cloth or any kind of skin on your body. But then we would all just be stropping on 60 cent floor tiles, so I would say it's probably worth a little less than that. As for sharpening, I vote for the "It would work great if you slapped a piece of fine abrasive film on it" camp.

I see alot of chatter about agate and jade elsewhere on the internet for sharpening. Multiple people selling expensive jade razor hones. I had been tempted to test them out but most straight razor forums seem to shun them, maybe for tradition sake? I also already have enough final natural hones to play with for now(my daily mantra for keeping HAD in check)!

I see alot of chatter about agate and jade elsewhere on the internet for sharpening. Multiple people selling expensive jade razor hones. I had been tempted to test them out but most straight razor forums seem to shun them, maybe for tradition sake? I also already have enough final natural hones to play with for now(my daily mantra for keeping HAD in check)!
I know what you mean about HAD...
I actually dug out a small piece of Owyhee Jasper I had found on the bay years ago and lapped it a bit. I did a few strokes on oil just to get reacquainted. The feedback wasn’t anything to write home about but I have to admit that I was impressed with the edge although it was a bit tedious. I would need to spend more time with it to work out my process.
Years ago there was a decent size thread on another forum about Jasper for razors. Turned into a bit of a dust-up for some reason. Sometimes people just want to try out things that are on the fringe just for fun. But for some reason if you’re not talking about the usual stones certain people really take issue with it.

I know what you mean about HAD...
I actually dug out a small piece of Owyhee Jasper I had found on the bay years ago and lapped it a bit. I did a few strokes on oil just to get reacquainted. The feedback wasn’t anything to write home about but I have to admit that I was impressed with the edge although it was a bit tedious. I would need to spend more time with it to work out my process.
Years ago there was a decent size thread on another forum about Jasper for razors. Turned into a bit of a dust-up for some reason. Sometimes people just want to try out things that are on the fringe just for fun. But for some reason if you’re not talking about the usual stones certain people really take issue with it.

I have two pieces of jasper. Both of which I consider excellent razor finishers. They work similar to my translucent and black arkansas stones. Slightly harder and quite a bit faster. They are owhyhee and not from that ancient ocean guy. They are both eBay purchases. I made some youtube videos about them at some point if you are interested.

Here's some closeups

And finishing a genco pyramid

That beige colored one is my favorite finisher, slightly beating out a butterscotch translucent and my herd of coticules and synthetics.

I have two pieces of jasper. Both of which I consider excellent razor finishers. They work similar to my translucent and black arkansas stones. Slightly harder and quite a bit faster. They are owhyhee and not from that ancient ocean guy. They are both eBay purchases. I made some youtube videos about them at some point if you are interested.

Here's some closeups

And finishing a genco pyramid

That beige colored one is my favorite finisher, slightly beating out a butterscotch translucent and my herd of coticules and synthetics.
I just saw this post. I’m watching the videos now!

I’ve never seen Jasper cut in that nice of a rectangle before. I use mine with oil because it does seem to grab too much with water IMO...
I also have a piece of Onyx on the way to test out. I hope it gets here soon.

Top Bottom