What's new

Marble-Seal Brand Strop

A week or two ago, an ebay seller from Washington state had a few vintage strops for sale. Most seemed in okay condition, with one being in better condition and fetching a higher price. I noticed that one of the "okay" ones was marked "seal" and that caught my interest. The photos were not the greatest, and showed some patchy worn areas, but overall the strop seemed in okay shape and not nicked up. So I put out a bid for it. To my surprise, I won it for $8.50.

It arrived around three days ago, and I have since coated the backside and then the front side with a coating of thick lather, Stirling tea-tree shaving soap in this instance, letting each coat dry out before brushing the lather off with my hand followed a mild rinsing of the surfaces with a dampened sponge. Once fully dry, I burnished both sides with my palm to even out any standing oils and then burnished the working area of the front side with a dedicated steel rod. In the end, the strop seemed to have seen heavy use, but was in surprisingly good shape, so I decided to leave things as they were. After shaving yesterday, I stropped the razor on the backside for around 12 laps. Here the surface feel was not unlike canvas, with some draw. Then I stropped on the front side for around 40-50 laps. Feel here was unlike anything I had felt before. Light draw, almost a smooth cardboard feel. The hide seemed tougher than anything I've tried before, and yet the strop was slightly pliant and not overly stiff. Gonna have to play with this one for a while...

Attached below are some shots of the front side followed by the backside. On the front, it says "finish on this side," and on the back it says, "sharpen on this side" followed by something effaced ". . . strokes." I suppose this referred to a lap count. Also, on the front side, below the image of a seal, there is an effaced line which apparently says, "Price . . . ," and then perhaps some dollar amount.

Anyway, thought I'd share this as I didn't come up with much about "seal" strops in searching here or elsewhere. Is it really from a seal or is it just another hyped-up item from "back in the day," I don't know.

Marble-Seal-1-(web).jpg Marble-Seal-2 (web).jpg Marble-Seal-3 (web).jpg Marble-Seal-4-(web).jpg Marble-Seal-5-(web).jpg

Last edited:
Hey Alan, I have a "Seal" strop and it appears to be Shell that is dyed black to mimic seal skin.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

It is lightning fast in draw and a pretty decent strop efficacy wise.
I had hoped it was in fact Seal as well. It was in really good shape so didn't need much on my end.
I have seen these pop up once in a while and was always interested.
I love rescuing these old things, especially when they are totally usable.
I use it regularly, among all the others. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A week or two ago, an ebay seller from Washington state had a few vintage strops for sale. Most seemed in okay condition, with one being in better condition and fetching a higher price. I noticed that one of the "okay" ones was marked "seal" and that caught my interest. The photos were not the greatest, and showed some patchy worn areas, but overall the strop seemed in okay shape and not nicked up. So I put out a bid for it. To my surprise, I won it for $8.50.

It arrived around three days ago, and I have since coated the backside and then the front side with a coating of thick lather, Stirling tea-tree shaving soap in this instance, letting each coat dry out before brushing the lather off with my hand followed a mild rinsing of the surfaces with a dampened sponge. Once fully dry, I burnished both sides with my palm to even out any standing oils and then burnished the working area of the front side with a dedicated steel rod. In the end, the strop seemed to have seen heavy use, but was in surprisingly good shape, so I decided to leave things as they were. After shaving yesterday, I stropped the razor on the backside for around 12 laps. Here the surface feel was not unlike canvas, with some draw. Then I stropped on the front side for around 40-50 laps. Feel here was unlike anything I had felt before. Light draw, almost a smooth cardboard feel. The hide seemed tougher than anything I've tried before, and yet the strop was slightly pliant and not overly stiff. Gonna have to play with this one for a while...

Attached below are some shots of the front side followed by the backside. On the front, it says "finish on this side," and on the back it says, "sharpen on this side" followed by something effaced ". . . strokes." I suppose this referred to a lap count. Also, on the front side, below the image of a seal, there is an effaced line which apparently says, "Price . . . ," and then perhaps some dollar amount.

Anyway, thought I'd share this as I didn't come up with much about "seal" strops in searching here or elsewhere. Is it really from a seal or is it just another hyped-up item from "back in the day," I don't know.

View attachment 1081833 View attachment 1081834 View attachment 1081835 View attachment 1081836 View attachment 1081837

Nice find.

I don't very often look on eBay for old strops. When I do I only find overpriced stuff and junk. You really scored big on this one for the money you put into it.

I just found one I'd buy for $10 but the vendor wants 15 times that much. Story of my life when it comes to eBay strops. That's a good thing I guess as I have a great strop (or two or three...well, you know how it goes).

Congratulations and happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks for the shots and your remarks Paul. Does the backside of yours mention sharpening there? I am wondering if mine ever came with a fire hose strop as the backside is worn from use and shows the marks of the brass clamping (although that could result if the fire hose was removed anyway). I have read that the "seal" strops can be quite dark, or black. Thing is, the one I have is rather pale, lighter than most shell strops I have seen. Pale even on the sides and beneath the brass hardware. Who knows, maybe a prior owner dipped the piece into some sort of solvent that lifted off the dye? There is one triangular patch near the brass hardware that looks like it could have been dyed.

Hey Alan, I have a "Seal" strop and it appears to be Shell that is dyed black to mimic seal skin.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I had hoped it was in fact Seal as well. It was in really good shape so didn't need much on my end.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice find.

I don't very often look on eBay for old strops. When I do I only find overpriced stuff and junk. You really scored big on this one for the money you put into it.

I just found one I'd buy for $10 but the vendor wants 15 times that much. Story of my life when it comes to eBay strops. That's a good thing I guess as I have a great strop (or two or three...well, you know how it goes).

Congratulations and happy shaves,

Jim

I've had luck over the years with finding vintage strops for cheap on the 'bay. Don't think I've ever paid more than $20 for one. Of course, they're never in pristine or NOS shape, but cleaning them up from the state they are in is part of the fun.

Thanks for the shots and your remarks Paul. Does the backside of yours mention sharpening there? I am wondering if mine ever came with a fire hose strop as the backside is worn from use and shows the marks of the brass clamping (although that could result if the fire hose was removed anyway).
No, mine did not mention sharpening on the back. Back matches the front like most Shell strops.
It came with a ratty linen component.

That close up photo where you can see the word “strokes”, it looks a lot like pig skin to me.

Top Bottom