What's new

Mar-V-Cide or Barbisol has it's value!

My DE shaves are wonderful and I love shaving! After every shave I use CoolCare Plus to sanitize my razor on a daily basis in between blade changes. Usually in between blade changes I will do a hot water rinse and good wipe down of my razor. For several months I have maintained my razor in this manner. On a recent trip to the Barber Supply store I picked up a small bottle of Mar-V-Cide and decided to use it today.

So I got my small Merkur soap dish and mixed the water and Mar-V-Cide solution. I then placed my razor in the solution and left it, more like forgot it. Anyways, when I returned to the bathroom some hours later, I noticed that what I thought was a pretty clean razor, had in fact shed a lot of dead skin and gunk that I did not or could not see. WOW! :w00t:

I am thoroughly convinced that I need to do a soak of my razor at least once a week. I will continue using the CoolCare Plus spray on a daily basis. Unless, someone here can convince me that I should not.

For what it is worth I wanted to pass along this revealing experience to others that think their razors are clean.

What's your sanitation method?

I recently bought a bottle of Mar-V-Cide as well. I have only left my razor in there for about 15mins max. I too just mix some of the solution in a bowl, but next time i buy from amazon im gonna get the mid sized barbicide container to make life easier =)

Ive never used CoolCare Plus. Id love to see if others use this as well.

Im curious. Is there any risk to your razors by storing them in barbicide between uses such as a barber with combs or scissors? Will it damage the finish?

I have a Futur and a Old. Dont really want to damage them.

You dont want to store them... Its just in and out for 10-15 mins for sanitation. At least thats what my barber told me. He also told me to rinse them and dry them afterwards. The chemical in barbicide / mar-v-cide is pretty nasty stuff. So always use caution when using it...

My DE shaves are wonderful and I love shaving! After every shave I use CoolCare Plus to sanitize my razor on a daily basis in between blade changes. Usually in between blade changes I will do a hot water rinse and good wipe down of my razor. For several months I have maintained my razor in this manner. On a recent trip to the Barber Supply store I picked up a small bottle of Mar-V-Cide and decided to use it today.

So I got my small Merkur soap dish and mixed the water and Mar-V-Cide solution. I then placed my razor in the solution and left it, more like forgot it. Anyways, when I returned to the bathroom some hours later, I noticed that what I thought was a pretty clean razor, had in fact shed a lot of dead skin and gunk that I did not or could not see. WOW! :w00t:

I am thoroughly convinced that I need to do a soak of my razor at least once a week. I will continue using the CoolCare Plus spray on a daily basis. Unless, someone here can convince me that I should not.

For what it is worth I wanted to pass along this revealing experience to others that think their razors are clean.

What's your sanitation method?

I was thinking of the Barbicide and the container route, however I may try this Mar-V-cide. How much did you pay for that?

You can get either Barbicide or Mar-V-Cide at Sally Beauty Supply (or any other barber/beauty supply store) for about $6 for 16oz, more than you will ever need. It can also be had online for slightly cheaper.

I forgot to mention the active ingredient in both is the exact same... So either one will do.

Barbicide is entirely unnecessary for a razor that you own and have cleaned when you bought it. Unless you have a really weak immune system, you aren't going to make yourself sick with germs that you already have :biggrin:.

You could clean your razor with a scrubbing bubbles rub down every once in a while just to keep soap scum at bay, but other than that just use the razor. I don't use scrubbing bubbles on a straight, in fact I just rinse it under water after use to remove the lather, and then dry it thoroughly and put a bit of oil on it. Anything more is just paranoia.

I am of the opinion that by removing every single germ we come into contact with every day, we actually make it worse for ourselves in the long run.

I am of the opinion that by removing every single germ we come into contact with every day, we actually make it worse for ourselves in the long run.

I agree with the we must have germs to makes us stronger theory. I was just amazed at how much gunk my razor had accumulated that was not visible to my naked eye. That convinced me that I should clean my razor once a week.

I also use the CoolCare daily to prevent my blade from rusting or letting gunk solidify on it. CoolCare also kills the bad stuff.

BTW, I get germs from all kinds of other stuff as well, so if my razor is clean and everything else is dirty, then I guess I will get my quota of germs from the other things. :001_huh:

Top Bottom