What's new

Maple Again

Graydog

Biblical Innards
The other day my son Seth and I processed another section of the Big tree and found some amazing grain and figure , the color is very impressive
Take a peak
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190525202043533_COVER.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190525202031000_COVER.jpg

Last edited:

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Maple1.jpg
This is the section we cut up ,still huge amount to go . Thats Grace hunting a squirrel in the background :) The color goes all the way through
Maple.jpg

Last edited:
You make soap out of maple??

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
He makes shaving brush handles with the wood.
No soap . How do you like your Pixel phone ?
That's nice looking maple Steve.
I remember when I accidentally started a thread about aged cheddar cheese in the soap forum and was asked how it lathers. I was stumped by this question until I realized my mistake.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I cut this about a month or so ago
It still has to be finished but color and grain are very cool
Horse Hair knot not set
maple4.jpg

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I believe it's a little of both in that handle ,figure is the grain patterns and the Spalting is more of the colors that you see

View attachment 984505 This is the section we cut up ,still huge amount to go . Thats Grace hunting a squirrel in the background :) The color goes all the way throughView attachment 984498
That should make for a very nice 'textured' handle with that much color, no?

That squirrel looks too inquisitive for his own good... he better run, lol.
Horse Hair knot not setView attachment 984719
Wow, that is beautiful. Always look forward to seeing your work. Please post more as you complete them. I'm very jealous of your skill. Lol.

As echoed above, if you do a sale of some of your work, I will gladly be in line. [emoji16]

I really like spalted maple. I also like curly maple, birdseye maple, burl maple, quartersawn maple and just plain maple!
Did it require any stabilizing or was it still sufficiently hard?

Beautiful work, sir!:thumbup:

The collet covers the top of the cup, so that part has to be turned and finished before putting it on the collet. If it doesn’t run true afterwards you’ll never be able to fix it. That’s another reason I especially dislike an IX collet for wood handles. I only use a CA finish, which is best done at one time, although it doesn’t matter as much with acrylic or if doing a wipe on polyurethane finish off the lathe. A threaded mandrel only goes inside the cup which allows you to apply CA to the entire handle. I thread the handle on the mandrel, remove it and coat the inside of the cup and the threads with thin CA and allow to dry before putting it back on the mandrel.

Horse Hair knot not setView attachment 984719

That is absolutely beautiful wood and I love the shape you chose I've been busy lately and forgot to check the brush making forms the last couple of days.
I also have several things I need to turn. I just haven't had time, or when I do have a little spare time I don't have the energy.

I really like spalted maple. I also like curly maple, birdseye maple, burl maple, quartersawn maple and just plain maple!
Did it require any stabilizing or was it still sufficiently hard?

Beautiful work, sir!:thumbup:

How about maple syrup?

That is absolutely beautiful wood and I love the shape you chose I've been busy lately and forgot to check the brush making forms the last couple of days.
I also have several things I need to turn. I just haven't had time, or when I do have a little spare time I don't have the energy.

How about maple syrup?
Mixed feelings. If they could make it sugar free and still taste the same it would be all good!

Top Bottom