What's new

Manut Bol

He played for the Bullets. I grew up a Bullets and Bulls fan...I know, it sounds strange.

Interestingly enough, the Bullets had both the tallest played in NBA history and also the shortest (Muggsy Bogues 5'3") at the same time in '87-'88.

They also had roles in Space Jam together.

Of course I'll remember Bol because seeing him on the court as a kid was a shock...so tall...but millions of people in the world will remember him for his off-the-court accomplishments...which is the way life is intended to be lived. Great man.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I remember Charles Barkley rolling on the floor in tears after Manut hit a 40' set shot.

He had zero skills, but was a good guy.

I remember when ESPN did an article on him when he was in college. He was 7'7" weighing 190 Lbs. when the trainer started him on weights,s he could bench a universal barbell.

I remember seeing him at a Warriors game in Oakland. I'll never forget the sight of him, sitting on the side line in a folding chair. It looked like a kids chair. 7'7":w00t: May he rest in peace.

He was a master at blocking shots and was a gentle giant.

Barkley was quoted as saying the world would be a better place if more people were like him.

He spent all of his money helping his poor countrymen. May he rest in peace.

Manute was a solid dude. I remember ESPN doing a
story on the work he was doing in Sudan after he
retired from the game.
I grew up in the Bay Area and remember the night
he just started draining three-pointers. He must have
had 4 or 5 of them (a lot for any big man) because
everyone was talking about it for a week.

He played for the Bullets. I grew up a Bullets and Bulls fan...I know, it sounds strange.

Interestingly enough, the Bullets had both the tallest played in NBA history and also the shortest (Muggsy Bogues 5'3") at the same time in '87-'88.

They also had roles in Space Jam together.

Of course I'll remember Bol because seeing him on the court as a kid was a shock...so tall...but millions of people in the world will remember him for his off-the-court accomplishments...which is the way life is intended to be lived. Great man.

I know, they had the tallest and shortest NBA players ever.

If you remember in the late 90's they also had Gheorge Muresan, who was 7 foot 7 inches as well.

I read an article about him when he played for the Warriors.

There had been war in Sudan for years, and he hadn't been able to communicate with his family for some time. A journalist traveled to his village and interviewed his family, who knew nothing about him being a successful athlete and how lucrative even base salary would be. They assumed he was living on the streets and unable to afford to come home.

His brother offered to give Manute some of his land if he could come back, and would even give him a small herd of goats to use as dowry so that he could marry a nice girl in the village.

Manute was known as a kind man and being hilarious with his broken english;
at least in this area, he was credited with coining the term "My bad."
But he wasn't a bad man at all.

Rest in Peace, Manute

Roger

Top Bottom