What's new

Manufaktur Zartgefühl soap - anybody?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The Superior Shave (TSS) included a tin of enigmatic German soap with a brush purchase last month... Manufaktur Zartgefühl "Men's Secret." They have a long writeup on it on their site.

Pictured far right:
full

Challenging to use, but when you dial it in, pretty nice!

Seems triple milled but apparently not; pretty hard and long lasting. Uses very little water... And it smells great.

Odd but nice, wondered if anyone else is using. Chime in.

AA

Glad, you're enjoying it! I was sold on this soap by the ad copy on Superior Shave, but it didn't work out for me. The artisan soaps I have been using (Stirling, B&M, DG) are very easy to lather and have fantastic performance/post-shave feel. The Zartgefuehl was too hit or miss, and as I'm still trying to work out some neck irritation I decided it was not worth the effort.

I also got one of those last month as a gift with a couple of brushes I ordered from TSS. Have tried it only once. After reading all the instructions on the site I got it to do a very good job for me. It’s certainly different. No suds but really nice and slick and leaves no stickiness behind on the face. I like it. But it is very deep in the queue and might not see much use until later in the year during sabbatical as I burn off some other products. Not sure if I could justify paying full retail, because I just don’t do that with lather products of any sort, but I certainly don’t mind having it and it will get used.

I somehow feel like it might work better with a synth brush than natural hair. But I have to test this theory some more.

The Superior Shave (TSS) included a tin of enigmatic German soap with a brush purchase last month... Manufaktur Zartgefühl "Men's Secret." They have a long writeup on it on their site.

Pictured far right:
full

Challenging to use, but when you dial it in, pretty nice!

Seems triple milled but apparently not; pretty hard and long lasting. Uses very little water... And it smells great.

Odd but nice, wondered if anyone else is using. Chime in.

Interesting soap!! Thanks for the review.:a29:

Wish I could comment but this one is new to me.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Interesting soap!! Thanks for the review.:a29:

Wish I could comment but this one is new to me.

I had trouble initially getting a large synth brush into this small container!

Switching to a small badger - Simpson Berk 46 is ideal - can lather it up well.

It's a "fun" soap, because it is harder than usual. Some great soaps get boring ...

AA

Have heard this soap is similar to La Burbonaise (spelling?) which was a terrible soap that doesnt lather worth a damn but rather just leaves a slick Olive Oil residue rather than a normal shaving lather, tried many times & brushes and could not get anything resembling a stable lather and used it anyways and payed the price with a ton of nicks & cuts. Was a experience i will not forget lol. This soap might be different but have heard people comparing them and suggesting ways to get it to perform properly.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Got this moody soap to work well today, using a smaller brush - Simpson Berkeley 46.

🤔 It's really no more difficult than Williams. Extra couple minutes, and little water.

Why bother? Stuff smells great! And it's as hard as PdP63.

AA

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I like the scent, it's not a sticky, yogurt lather and some will be put off by that, but if you want slick and care less about the other properties, it is a very good soap as is the Prinz Charming version and the La Savonnerie Bourbonnaise from France they used to sell. Any soap that meets your needs is good and I prefer slick above all else. Don't need no cushion. Persisting lather is nice, but only from the standpoint of seeing where the razor has been.

I appreciate some of the European cold saponified soaps and like their NOT OVER THE TOP scents. Some of the US artisans apparently attended the Axe School of Scentology.

carving - 1 (1).jpeg

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
If anyone has this, and the Portuguese soap Mogno, I'd like to hear! They smell very similar to me, could use a confirmation. Mogno is much easier to work, though.

Many thanks.

AA

I too received this stuff from tss as a freebie.

It's absolute rubbish as far as I am concerned. I gave it a try. Performance was extremely underwhelming for how much work I had to put into lathering it (I'm not even sure you could consider it lather).

I pulled the soap puck out of the container and threw the soap in the trash. The tin it came in is doing a superb job as a storage container for tacks. I have far too many soaps that perform well with minimal effort to waste time and effort with this stuff.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator

It's absolute rubbish as far as I am concerned. I gave it a try. Performance was extremely underwhelming for how much work I had to put into lathering it (I'm not even sure you could consider it lather).

I pulled the soap puck out of the container and threw the soap in the trash. The tin it came in is doing a superb job as a storage container for tacks. I have far too many soaps that perform well with minimal effort to waste time and effort with this stuff.

Well, we agree on "Spaceballs" anyways! 😂

I like the scent and maintain it smells just like Mogno... I still have both!

AA

You’re not supposed to lather it. It’s just supposed to provide a slickness layer.

My natural hair brushes don’t think much of that. On the rare occasions I get it out, it gets used with a synth. The stuff does what it’s designed to do. Whether you appreciate what it’s designed to do is a whole another issue.

Top Bottom