What's new

Manufacturing process today vs 80 years ago

The razor clamps the blade and shaves. Like a century ago. In general, nothing has changed. All these tolerances, materials, circulation of a particular copy are just marketing what then, what now. You just need to find the best option for yourself from the whole variety. Now the choice of more than four generations ago. The rest is nothing new.

Me and the wife live in a house full of what people call antiques, from kitchen ware to everyday goods. Why? because they were made to last and to work. I believe the tolerances and mindset of 80+ years ago has been lost on most of the goods today. Today it's all about the latest and greatest fancy gadget stuff.
Same with the razors, fancy metals, fancy designs and all done via computer controlled CNC machines. Yet they are still designed off of patents that are tried and true 80-100+ years ago. Yes some are great works of art with excellent tolerances but in my opinion nothing beats a tool built by hand in an old lathe or mill or stamping machine.

I'm old fashioned.

Me and the wife live in a house full of what people call antiques, from kitchen ware to everyday goods. Why? because they were made to last and to work. I believe the tolerances and mindset of 80+ years ago has been lost on most of the goods today. Today it's all about the latest and greatest fancy gadget stuff.
Same with the razors, fancy metals, fancy designs and all done via computer controlled CNC machines. Yet they are still designed off of patents that are tried and true 80-100+ years ago. Yes some are great works of art with excellent tolerances but in my opinion nothing beats a tool built by hand in an old lathe or mill or stamping machine.

I'm old fashioned.
Are you telling me you don't NEED a Smart Razor this holiday season? One that connects to WiFi, and has a little screen on the bottom of the handle, and bluetooth connectivity so you can stream music from it? And a speaker and mic so you can order new soaps as you shave with a simple voice comand? And little pieces of plastic at critical structural points, with no access to parts, so you can buy another one in a year or two or less if you drop it juuuuust right?

Price tag: $799 sounds fair, because... because... becaaaaaaauuuuusssssee... Because of the wonderful things it does?

Okay, I'm done.

I do really like some modern goods. Fancy metals work on me, to a point. Personal computers are pretty cool, I just don't need one built into every item in my house.

Top Bottom