What's new

Manual vs Automatic

Manual is more fun. Just like shaving with a DE or straight!!!

Although it may hurt the resale value!

You may want to look at either the VW Jetta or Passat. The German cars are so much fun to drive.

Last edited:
So I'm in the market for a new car and I'm debating whether to get a manual or an automatic and this got me thinking; I enjoy a manual because you have to pay attention to what you're doing and you truly get to enjoy the drive, much like using a DE or a straight, whereas to me an automatic is like a cartridge razor, yeah it does a good enough job, but where's the fun and passion?

Now I turn to ask you B&Ber's what your opinions are on this topic? Manual or automatic or do we have some Fred Flintstones out there?

I love manual transmissions but I like full-size pick-up trucks and they only had an automatic. If a column shift were available I would have got one. But the pick-up I got two years ago is the most enjoyable vehicle I ever had.

I could never drive a Flintstone. Too much wear and tear on the feet and the tires are too heavy to change.

This section of the forum is "Anything Else" so it is very apropos.

Manual all the way! I had to drive an automatic for 8 years, never again.

Rush hour traffic with a manual is like shaving the chin. Frustrating at first, amazingly rewarding once you learn the tricks and get in the groove :thumbup1:

Also my manual came with cruise control, so highway driving isn't any different from an automatic, but commuting in the city is a joy!

I'm with those whi say manual for fun and auto for utility.

If I bought a sporty car it would almost certainly be a manual.

My day-to-day get 'er done car is an auto.

I have recently had test drives in cars that have a combination auto/manual transmission. I would definitely look int that before buying.

(Nostalgia: When I first learned to drive, it was with a variety of manuals from 3-speed column (Rambler!), Four on the floor (Olds Jetfire) and farm tractor. When I went to take my driver's test it was in another Jetfire with automatic. I almost put the test guy through the windshield when I came up to a stop sign and slammed in the non-existent clutch, which was actually the left end of a very wide power brake pedal!. FAIL!)

I have recently had test drives in cars that have a combination auto/manual transmission. I would definitely look int that before buying.
My cousin had a 1950 Dodge with a fluid drive transmission that was both. Now that was a car that was fun to drive until he T-boned a '55 Merc. I didn't realize there was a combo trans available these days.

Automatics break, in the worst, most complete, most expensive, and most inconvenient ways.

Manuals don't.

I've always had manuals, until my last purchase. Since this time the transmission comes with a lifetime warranty, I settled for automatic (which also pleased SWMBO).

My cousin had a 1950 Dodge with a fluid drive transmission that was both. Now that was a car that was fun to drive until he T-boned a '55 Merc. I didn't realize there was a combo trans available these days.

Well, maybe I am mis-characterizing things. The cars I looked at allow up and down shifting w/o a clutch. Here is info on Audi's version -- one of the earlier ones. http://www.audiworld.com/news/99/multitronic/content.shtml

Put the selector over to the right and you can shift up or down by momentarily pushing the stick to the plus or minus. I drove both a Kia and an Audi with this arrangement. Kind of fun!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
^
The VW has the same thing, they call it Tripronic (I think). It is not the same as having a clutch

Our Grand Cheroke has that type of transmission. I never use it. The VW with a true 5 speed and a clutch is a blast. Now the best of the lot is my Harley Davidson FLHX with a 6 speed.:thumbup:Now that is how shifting should be done.

It depends if you're married or not. One of my favorite cars was a little manual Mercedes until my wifey forgot to shift out of 1st one day tooling down the road at 50 mph. Trust me, even a Mercedes engine can be frozen up.:frown2:

It depends if you're married or not. One of my favorite cars was a little manual Mercedes until my wifey forgot to shift out of 1st one day tooling down the road at 50 mph. Trust me, even a Mercedes engine can be frozen up.:frown2:

I prefer a manual. I think you have more control on the speed of the car. You will get a little better gas mileage with a manual. My wife is awesome at driving a manual trans as well !! She prefers manual transmissions also. They are also more fun to drive.

Manual. I've been driving my family's other vehicles (all automatics...at least the truck is a turbodiesel) and I hate it. My car is down with a shot master or slave cylinder I believe.

I drove manuals for years-oldsmobile, honda, Saab, BMW. Then a few years ago I had my Right shoulder operated on and couldn't drive a stick for 3 months. Fortunately, I had my wifes car and she is the one who taught me to drive stick. After that I have gone with an automatic. 12 years ago I took the Land Rover driving course and they use an automatic for overland work. You loose little in gas mileage these days, autos need less maintenence overall, many cars have a manual-like function (eg triptronic type) for snow, tow and hills-so for me a good auto works fine.

Been driving cars with manual transmissions since I was 16 in the mid 1980s. My current car, a VW Golf has a 5-speed manual and the next car (also a VW) when the time comes will have a clutch too:).

I learned to drive on a stick. My grandfather taught me on his old school Ford Pinto station wagon. They also claimed when you drive a stick you are more aware and in control of your driving... but yet they seemed to get into accidents all the time even when he and my Grandmother were younger so I dont give much credence to that theory.
They really didnt want to spend the extra $300 or so for the automatic transmission option. If you live in a rural area then the stick might be a cool idea. If you live in a suburban area or inner city with lots of stopping at stop signs or traffic lights, thats not they way to go.
If you also have friends who cant drive a stick and the time will come when you need someone to drive you home because you had a few too many, its might leave you to the only option and hopefully not, to drive drunk.
Its personal preference really.

Last edited:
I drive automatic because my wife refuses to drive a standard car. Manual does get better gas mileage, and does better in bad weather.

However, I'm getting a motorcycle soon - it's gonna be a 6-speed manual.

Personally I love a manual! Yes, I am a woman and I love a manual. It is sometimes hard to find one in the car you want though, or so I have found. If you can get it in the car you want I would definately go for the manual. There is just something about the whole experience about driving a car and having to shift gears and get the car to do what you want it to do when you want it to. I have never minded driving a manual in the city either. I have been stuck in traffic for hours on the highway in stop and go traffic, and that happens daily here, and I would still get a manual. Of course as always YMMV. It is all what suits you.

Top Bottom