What's new

Manual Hair Clippers

Does anyone still use these to cut their hair?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d2/Manual_hair_clippers.JPG

I've got one back home that belonged to my grandfather and would require some "restoration" to say the least before I ever got the guts to put it near my scalp. He died in 1969 so it has lain dormant for many years...

I've been thinking about getting an old German model from eBay to experiment with. I think there is a "new" model on the market, but I don't know if their craftsmanship measures up.

I'm interested in this as an electricity-free alternative that should last for many years with regular maintenance, which is comparatively inexpensive over its lifetime.

I have heard that they can be rough and prone to plucking hair rather than cutting it, but from what I've read a bit of technique, well-oiled sharpened blades, and slow consistent cutting speeds can remedy that situation...

I'm curious to see if anybody is keeping these devices in use!

I've been thinking about these for beard trimming, but haven't tried them. One false move with an electric can take a big chunk out of the beard.

I saw a pair of these in the thrift store display case the other day. Maybe I'll go back and see if they're still there.

I have a pair of those that belonged to my Uncle George. I can't imagine actually trying to use them.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Old ones will probably not do such a good job. You can salvage some of them by honing the blades and tightening them up. They are still being made in China. In fact, the same factory that makes Gold Dollars also makes manual clippers. I would imagine that with the blades honed, they will cut pretty good.

I have had haircuts in third world type countries with the manual clippers. A skilled barber can give you a decent and comfortable haircut with them. However, for cutting your own hair, I suggest cordless electric clippers. That is what I use. I hate having a cord swinging and slapping around while I am buff cutting with corded clippers. And I imagine squeezing manual clippers and at the same time maneuvering them all over your head would be awkward.

I too have a pair of these from my grandfather, died in 1971. They are probably 100+ years old. I cant find any markings on them to know who made them. I have no interest in using them, just cool thing to have. They look to be in excellent condition.

$Haircut.jpg

A few of us have actually experienced them! Highlands of Viet Nam 1969. No electricity in the boonies.

tired them many years ago and never again; as you stated, they have a tendency to pluck and pull hair; good luck if you do

Thanks gentlemen. They are certainly interesting devices and I wouldn't mind trying to restore one for the $20 it'll cost me.

Slash, I didn't plan on using them directly on myself because I don't think I'd have the mobility to shave my own head without causing a world of hurt. I would say you need to maintain a good angle and steady hand rhythm or you'd do quite a job on yourself. I did plan on getting a family member to cut my hair, though...

I have an inexpensive pair of electric clippers but they are not great quality and I didn't want to pay a fortune for professional grade clippers.

Hawkeye, thanks for the picture! The main reason I wanted them is to get a haircut without electricity. I suppose the novelty of such a "throwback" is a factor but really I just wanted something that can be maintained without a reliance on motors or a multitude of spare parts.

If I have success with one from eBay I will attempt to bring my grandfather's pair back to working order...

Had them used on in after the Tet Offensive of 1968 Long Binh, Viet Nam. I could get the haircut and the massage, but not the shave. They had not found our barbers Tet Replacement yet. One of the barbers was found on the wire trying to get in at night.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Had them used on in after the Tet Offensive of 1968 Long Binh, Viet Nam. I could get the haircut and the massage, but not the shave. They had not found our barbers Tet Replacement yet. One of the barbers was found on the wire trying to get in at night.

Well, you probably didn't want that particular barber to put a razor to your throat anyhow.

I have a pair of manual clippers. They were my great grandparents on my dad's side. My great aunt gave them to me after graduated from beauty school. My dad remembered having his hair cut with them and said that they pulled alot. But at the same time said it brought back alot of good memories. They are in great condition and still work great. I would love to use them. It's a great option especially for kids who can't stand the sounds and vibrations of the electric clippers.

I remember when I was a little kid that my grandfather had a pair of them. I tried to cut the hair on my arm with them one time and cut my arm up a bit.
Id love to have the pair that my grandfather had but I doubt that I would ever use them. I would think that they would be kind of tuggy, even if they were very sharp. I mean, theres a reason why motorized clippers were invented.

I use some of these clippers to trim my beard, they are more precise than the electric counterparts because you can first look what to cut and then clipp. The electric ones are constantly cutting when switched on and sometimes they are just to fast. I would not use these for my hair because I am not a contorsionist and am not able to use these on the back of my head. When these clippers are in good condition they don't plug your hair at all. It depends on the used technique.

I would totally buy and use these ... just that all the ones I see are in pretty bad shape. Lots of rust and corrosion. Don't want to give myself tetanus.

Top Bottom