What's new

Manicure

Not too long ago, I purchased a manicure kit. My hands have never looked bad or unkempt, but I have been really pleased by the look achieved from keeping my cuticles well trimmed.

Just curious as to whether or not any of you gentlemen have thoughts on the subject.

In another lifetime I had a "professional" manicure every other week.. Now my tonsorial parlor no longer has a manicurist and I just don't have the time or motivation to go to the frufru establishments that have them, i.e. I go to a barber, not a stylist..

A now-ex-girlfriend once treated me to a manicure at the local Parisian store (like a Macy's), and I've been a cuticle-tender ever since! Most days I just need a little pushing-back with an orangewood stylus, but every here and there I feel the need for something more thorough. I just wish I had a place to go that didn't have 65,000 shades of nail polish in such close proximity. :nonod:

-Rich

PoshRichM said:
A now-ex-girlfriend once treated me to a manicure at the local Parisian store (like a Macy's), and I've been a cuticle-tender ever since! Most days I just need a little pushing-back with an orangewood stylus, but every here and there I feel the need for something more thorough. I just wish I had a place to go that didn't have 65,000 shades of nail polish in such close proximity. :nonod:

-Rich

Can't make a decision??? :lol: :eek: :w00t: :thumbup1:

Randy

I am sadly a bad nailbiter. The ways I have temporarily stopped in the past is with manicures professional ones are great. Can do at home too--not as good. The only polish I will use is a clear goad by nail envy--it looks clody but dries clear and matte (not shiny) and helps cover up some of the damage I do to them.

MJB

Kyle said:
Not too long ago, I purchased a manicure kit. My hands have never looked bad or unkempt, but I have been really pleased by the look achieved from keeping my cuticles well trimmed.

Just curious as to whether or not any of you gentlemen have thoughts on the subject.

Brother Kyle,

Just another post of yours that convinces me we are kindred spirits.

For years I used to tear and pick at dried up cuticles. Just couldn't stand hangnails and such, but I'd end up making bloody messes of my fingers. Wouldn't bother me much, but dear wife would "tsk tsk" me and even pointed out (in her prescient way) that she and most other women look at and "judge" women AND MEN by the looks of their nails and shoes. :confused:

Anyway, for years it never bothered me, I even enjoyed picking the dried out stubs off my fingers.

Then of course, this new obsession with shaving and such took hold around XMAS 2005. I decided to give a manicure a try, but Christ sake, how the hell would I explain to the folks at work if my nails all of a sudden appeared suddenly rounded and shiny!:eek:

So on the sly, after flying back home from a business trip, I visited a "nail salon" on my way home from the airport. I watched the nail tech like a hawk, lest she apply too shiny a buff, or gave me some weird whitener under my nails.

In the end it was pretty awesome!:thumbup: I'm almost at the point where I refuse now to cut my own nails, just walk on in to one the 100s (around my neighborhood anyway) of various nail places every 2-3 weeks and pay them $10 to do it right. I do use Burt's Bees lemon cuticle creme on my own though. Smells great!

Next week's thread...pedicure:biggrin:

While I've really enjoyed the look of a self-made manicure, I've not yet developed the intestinal fortitude to cross the threshold of a nail salon. If/when I reach a comfort level with that idea, I am sure that the first visit would have to be to an out of town establishment.

Kyle said:
While I've really enjoyed the look of a self-made manicure, I've not yet developed the intestinal fortitude to cross the threshold of a nail salon. If/when I reach a comfort level with that idea, I am sure that the first visit would have to be to an out of town establishment.

I'm with you...It's kind of like jumping into an outdoor hotel pool on a warm spring day...you know it'll shock you cold, but still, it's better to cannonball in than tippy toe you're way down the stairs. Once you're in, you wonder why those folks at the edge of the water don't just jump in too.

Of course, I do carry my "50 Excuses As To Why I'm Here Should Anyone From Work Walk-in" phrase book handy just in case.

Kyle,

You and me both brother..I don't know, I get the real "light in the seat of the pants" feeling by even thinking about going into a nail salon. Now, there is the benefit of having the smokin' hot chick work on your nails, but hells bells, I just get the whole "weirded out" feeling. Geez, it took me almost 8 months to try Rose shaving cream for fear it would make me smell like a pansy (pun intended) :tongue:

My nails are in good shape, but the cuticles are in sad shape. Lots of hangnails and such, usually leaves me with a bloody mess at least once a day. Deep down, I'd like to try it, but my "machoness" won't let me.

For me, it isn't so much a phobia of going into a traditionally female establishment, as it is a fear of having one of my unrelenting co-workers gaining knowledge of my visit. I'm confident that I could attend a session without risk of compromising my own sexual preferences, but as KUJO points out, co-workers may not be as confident as I.

If it's any consolation to you guys, dearest wife thinks I'm the coolest guy on the planet for doing this...and nobody at work has noticed (as usual, others pay far less attention to me than I am inclined to think they do. Either that or they fear me too much to say anything)

I honestly never considered getting one. I always think of it as being too "Nancy Boy" like (not the cream). However, I hate hand nails so if I could learn how to prevent them I might give it a shot.

How do you prevent those things?

Top Bottom