What's new

Mangled myself

So I am a newbie here. I am an odd duck to many so wet shaving with vintage razors is not out the norm of what people expect of me. Well I bought a Gillette slim and cleaned it up and was real proud of myself. Well I went to shave with it and was thinking, great weight, nice feel, this is pretty damn close.....oops I cut myself, and again. Whats going on? well I looked down and while cleaning I left the dial at a 7. lol aggressive.

Glad to be aboard and find out some more details, good razors, good blades, and soaps, etc. I am also narrowing my razor to 5. I have a fatboy, slim, merkur long handle, 1940's gillette DE, and looking for one more to add. Any suggestions?

Glad to be aboard and find out some more details, good razors, good blades, and soaps, etc. I am also narrowing my razor to 5. I have a fatboy, slim, merkur long handle, 1940's gillette DE, and looking for one more to add. Any suggestions?
My first few shaves back with vintage razors was a learning curve. I started with DE when I was a kid but had spent 30 years shaving with cartridge razors which require some pressure. There are so many vintage and modern razors out there that are really good. If you haven't tried one, the NEW open comb razors by Gillette (made in the 1930's) are outstanding.

Welcome, there are a lot of choices. It would be good to understand what you like about what you have now and what needs improvement. New or vintage? Do you want an adjustable? How much do you want to spend?

That would help us in making good suggestions.

I mostly like vintage items, simply because allot things were just made better. However I bought a new razor just to try.

I bought and really like the Merker long handle closed comb. I shaved with it for a couple months. So I went with vintage and picked up a NOS gillette closed comb razor. Best shave I ever had. Then I googled best coveted safety razor and fat boy and slim came up. So I bought the slim and only used it once (story above). I just bought the fat boy but havent cleaned it yet.

Price $100 or less. Adjustable isnt necessary. Also what blades are recommended here? Shave soaps? I am not interested in the cheapest, I want something that is middle down the road. Think total cost of ownership type of thought.

If you haven't tried one, the NEW open comb razors by Gillette (made in the 1930's) are outstanding.
so NOS? or new? I read somewhere that Gillette came out with new razors. From the quick glance I read mixed reviews. I should have also stated I do not want anything Chinese made.

From the quick glance I read mixed reviews.

I haven't seen many negative reviews of the Gillette New razors, which were real classics and much copied, even up to the present day. I'd say they were all good or very good, and some, like the English New Raised Flat Bottom series, are hard to better. You might be able to find a NOS new or New RFB, but the chances are pretty slim and the cost would probably be high. A well used example, if undamaged, will do the job just as well.
I would read up a bit on here so you know exactly what you are looking for. Descriptions on auction sites can be very misleading, or just wrong.

You might like the RazoRock GameChanger Staight Bar (closed comb). It's stainless steel, apparently provides a nice shave and is reasonably priced. I say "apparently" because I don't have the SB. I have the open comb but am just conveying the many compliments people give to this razor. And you can pick which handle you'd like on it. I love mine.

so NOS? or new? I read somewhere that Gillette came out with new razors. From the quick glance I read mixed reviews. I should have also stated I do not want anything Chinese made.
the new was a line they produced in the early 1930's. I've attached a photo from mr-razor.com, a fantastic resource. They are plentiful and not very expensive and a really great razors.
1930s NEW Canada.jpg

For DE I have a Merkur HD, Merkur Progress, Gillette Super Speed, and Gillette Fatboy. The HD has and probably always will be my go to for DE.

The Razorock Game Changer .84 is a terrific razor at a great price. All CNC machined stainless steel for under $60 and it provides a great combination of smoothness and efficiency. Really hard to beat.

If you’re set on vintage, my favorite two vintage razors are the Gillette New Short Comb, and the Gillette Super Adjustable (84 or 109), aka Black Beauty.

The Razorock Game Changer .84 is a terrific razor at a great price. All CNC machined stainless steel for under $60 and it provides a great combination of smoothness and efficiency. Really hard to beat.

If you’re set on vintage, my favorite two vintage razors are the Gillette New Short Comb, and the Gillette Super Adjustable (84 or 109), aka Black Beauty.
I am unable to find the Razorock on amazon. Can you please send me a link?

Welcome aboard!

The Slim is a great razor IME. A few suggestions:
1. Make sure that your blade is seated well.
2. Assure that you start at one of the lower settings.
3. Be sure that you close that doors all the way, including the last 1/4 turn.

Stick with this and you will get the results you want! :a14:

I read the post wrong I thought he said amazon. Thanks for letting me know.
I bought various shave soap at ttjmaxx today. Creamo, and protoso menthol

Top Bottom